Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Physical Therapy ordered by cardio.
Saw my cardio doc yesterday. He's concerned about my limited mobility because I've just plain let my muscles get in poor shape.

So, he's going to refer me to Physical Therapy.
I see that as good and bad. The good is that I need it.
The bad is -- I think it's going to be painful.

But, if I don't do it, then next is a wheel chair. And, then the long dirt nap.

I'm doing the research on whom I should use for PT. I hate all the darn forms. The personal questions they ask. The space for one's SSN and Driver's License #.

Then I read their privacy policy about all the agencies and entities then may disclose information to. "National Security and Intelligence Agencies?" Say What? Are you kidding me?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-26-2016 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JudgeMental Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics DreamStation Auto-CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 11-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Physical Therapy ordered by cardio.
justMongo.. I think you are fortunate to have a concerned Physician who has an interest in your well being. You certainly don't want to regress beyond the point of no return. Muscular atrophy is no mans land. Take small but dedicated steps. I wish you well in your efforts.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
01-26-2016 08:06 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Leave those things blank. They don't need them. Some ask because it makes it easier to identify you but I'd save it and give it to them in person vs putting on a form.

PT is a fine line between "no pain, no gain" and "pain is your body saying stop". Don't hesitate to push yourself but also know your limits. You want a PTist who is fun but who will also push you while also understanding your limits, too. That's not something you can learn by doing online searches. You can always pick a few then go to evals at each one. I'm a big fan of the open gym type of space as long as there are rooms with doors if someone needs one.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-26-2016 08:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

Thanks Paula. Good advice.
I'd even be willing to pay out of pocket to have an initial assessment.

I can assess them at the same time.
I have 3 in mind.

01-26-2016 09:27 PM
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

My cardiologist just said walk briskly a mile a day. Course we burn wood for heat so there is excercise assocated with that, garden a little.
Cant do near what i used to but piddle around enough to not get chair bound.
01-26-2016 09:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

Sir, given that you are a USAF veteran, I'm assuming you were once extremely active. Coming purely from concern, not judgment, I'm wondering what happened? Did you become disabled in the service? You live in a beautiful part of the country with perfect year round weather, so if you can, I bet it would really help to take daily walks. Start slow at first and progress as you can. And, of course, listen to your doctor. He sounds like a good one.
01-26-2016 10:18 PM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

I'm going the same way (though nowhere near ready for a wheelchair). My arms & legs were always skinny but I never do any weight-bearing exercise and they're turning into matchsticks. I have no excuse - there's a gym in my spare room. Just need to get off my backside and use it.

I've had a lot of physiotherapy over the years for muscular / skeletal issues mainly related to fibromyalgia. I have to say I do less and less as the physios all seem to be young women straight out of university who really don't have a good feel for the job. Best guy I ever had was also the physio for the local rugby league team - I just had to keep reminding him I'm a 90 lb weakling, not a 240 pound rugby player.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

01-26-2016 11:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Possum, yes, I was an A1 Skyraider pilot many years ago. I have no service connected disabilities -- well maybe a little hearing loss. I was in good shape much of my life. I went through a reserve police academy at age 45 with guys who were like 20. I never used the training; but I did it.

The reason I'm now in need of physical therapy is I let myself sit and lie around too much. My range of walking is to and from the car. It's the use it or lose it syndrome. The fault is 100% mine.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 11:38 PM by justMongo.)
01-26-2016 11:37 PM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Get yourself a treadmill. It's what keeps me active. I'd probably never do any outdoor walking regimen so the treadmill is a godsend as it sits there and stares at me as if to ask, why are you ignoring me? Then I also do some less strenuous stretching exercises when in the mood.

Dude, who doesn't lift any weights.
01-26-2016 11:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

SD: We talked about our Ford hotrod days. In my 30s, I tore down small block Fords over a weekend just for fun. I could lift a cast iron head at arm's length; and place it on the block. I had big biceps back in the day -- with little effort.

I literally have no room for a treadmill; and I doubt I would have used it over the last year.
So, outside it will have to be.

I'm lining up the PT places. Still paperwork and a couple of tests to be done. Cardio doc wants a duplex ultrasound of the legs.
He wants to rule out vascular or neurological causes.

01-27-2016 12:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who ordered the hail? PollCat 7 2,117 04-12-2013 07:52 AM
Last Post: Bompa