Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

Sex: Male

RE: Physical Therapy ordered by cardio.
An A1 Skyraider pilot? That sounds absolutely badass. Not many folks can say they did something truly courageous, unique, and awesome. I'm a friggin corporate desk jockey.

Anyway, from what I can tell your mind still seems sharp as a razor, and you obviously care about your sleep health. Just gotta get that body moving again! That said, I'm glad you're pursuing this P.T. Maybe it will renew your interest in physical activity and you'll end up regularly walking, lifting weights, etc., again.

Best of luck on this endeavor, and please keep us posted.
01-27-2016 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

He probably wants PT vs walking because PT will get you in shape first with directions, handouts, and an overseer.

The only exercise I can really do is pool. The non-weight bearing exercise really helps.

And as for the comments about being "wheelchair bound", well, just don't let yourself be tied to it. Laugh-a-lot Mine gave me my life back. I don't see my chair as limiting. I see it as freedom. It is an appliance no different than my CPAP machine. Well, other than it cost a crap ton more.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-27-2016 01:50 AM
holden4th Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto with Bluetooth
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11- 15 APAP

Other Comments:

You're correct about use it or lose it, I know this as a physical education teacher. The PT thing may or may not work and in my opinion it doesn't have to be that extreme. The best exercise has always been walking. Most people make the mistake of doing the walk from their own front door and boredom quickly sets in.

So drive to a nice spot to walk and do say about 20 minutes (you might be able to get further). You get out of your car and walk along this lovely walkway for 10 minutes, turn around and hey presto - 20 minutes racked up! You might make it 15 minutes each way. After your body adjusts to that then you walk away from your car for an extra 5 minutes and so on. It can be all flat or have a small rise in it.

A good friend of mine got given one of those Fitbit watches for Xmas. This lets you know how many steps you take in a day. The goal is 10,000. She's really taken this to heart (pun intended) and now enjoys her daily walk. The other day she drove around the bays and stopped about 20 minutes away from the local (and amazing) museum after expolring that for over an hour she walked back to her car and was astonished at how many steps she'd taken. She loves achieveing that goal every day.

So you're right - use it or lose it. It would be great to hear you're 'using it'.

Good luck.
01-27-2016 05:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

There's a little more about how I got to where I am. About 12 years ago, I was dx'ed as diabetic. When Metformin would not control it, I was given insulin. Insulin is the thin end of the wedge... It does its job; but it's also a fat storage hormone. So, I gained a great deal of weight over time. I have recently turned that around. I cut out grain products, sugars, potatoes... I went from using 100 units of insulin per day to zero. The pounds are dropping off. And my blood sugar is in normal range. The high end of normal; but without the spikes. I've lost 12 pounds in the past month. As I shed this weight, I shall be able to become more active. At my peak weight it was like I was carrying an extra person around; and I think we can all understand how limiting that much weight would be. As my exercise tolerance improves, I should gain muscle mass; that, in turn, will further improve mobility and blood sugar control. So, the vectors are now in the right direction.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-27-2016 10:16 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

justMongo,
So glad you started this discussion. It's easy to let ourselves become lax about excercise. The only excercise I get is chasing my granddaughter around. I should buy one of those Fitbit watches to wear.

I also notice over the last year since I've been retired, that I'm not doing as much. This thread is very motivating to change that.

I think the Physical Therapy is a good thing to try and get some muscle mobility back, then start walking short distances to start.

My doctor always told me to start by walking 15 minutes from my house, then head back.....that equals 30 minutes. Increase by 5 minutes every week.

justMongo, keep up posted on your progress.

OpalRose
01-27-2016 12:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Exercise is a relevant thing. Each person should calculate their own zone using an established formula in order to be able to set a reasonable target and monitor progress.

<snippet>
Karvonen Formula

The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate (HR) training zone. The formula uses maximum and resting heart rate with the desired training intensity to get a target heart rate.

Target Heart Rate = ((max HR − resting HR) × %Intensity) + resting HR example

Ideally, you should measure your resting and maximum heart rate for more accurate results. If the maximum heart rate cannot be measured directly, it can be roughly estimated using the traditional formula 220 minus your age (see this table of heart rate max). Also, an average value of 70 bpm can be used for resting heart rate if it is not known. See also Resting Heart Rate, and this guide to measuring heart rate.
Example Training Heart Rate Zone

For example, for a 25 yr old who has a resting heart rate of 65, wanting to know his training heart rate for the intensity level 60% - 70%.

His Minimum Training Heart Rate:
220 - 25 (Age) = 195
195 - 65 (Rest. HR) = 130
130 x .60 (Min. Intensity) + 65 (Rest. HR) = 143 Beats/Minute

His Maximum Training Heart Rate:
220 - 25 (Age) = 195
195 - 65 (Rest. HR) = 130
130 x .70 (Max. Intensity) + 65 (Rest. HR) = 156 Beats/Minute

His training heart rate zone will therefore be 143-156 beats per minute.

<end snippet>

Source: http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/karvonen-formula.htm
01-27-2016 01:55 PM
pholynyk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 APAP
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: included
CPAP Pressure: 11-17

Other Comments:

I'm not sure the Karvonen Formula can be used by someone taking heart meds of any kind... I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be.

I did a cardio rehab program last year. After doing an exercise test including breathing efficiency, I was assigned an exercise heart rate of 105 to 115.

Using Karvonen I would get
220 - 65 -> 155 - 60 -> 95 x .60 + 60 -> 117 minimum
220 - 65 -> 155 - 60 -> 95 x .70 + 60 -> 127 maximum

So see your own doctor before adopting Karvonen.
01-27-2016 06:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

i just joined the gym in November myself... i work in the same building and my company pays for it... no excuse Big Grin i am also an overweight type 2 diabetic - currently out of control for the first time ever with fasting BS in the ~250 range and an A1c of ~10 Sad Sad Sad so far not really making a dif either. This is a place I really did not want to be!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
01-27-2016 07:15 PM
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

For those that can't tolerate the rates given in the previous example, which was in the 6o to 70 percent range, fine for people with healthy hearts, you can calculate your own range based on what your doctor tell you about your condition. The table linked below is a good place to get an approximate value but the Karvonen formula will render a more accurate figure if your resting heart rate isn't close to the assumption made by the chart.

http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/heartrate-range.htm

I suggest using the 50% range if you have a known heart problem. By all means check with your doctor if you have a heart problem or if normal exercise produces undue stress.

Dude
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 07:56 PM by surferdude2.)
01-27-2016 07:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(01-27-2016 07:15 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  ...currently out of control for the first time ever with fasting BS in the ~250 range and an A1c of ~10

Daria:

I know I don't need to tell you that's not good.
You're very smart lady; and I know you're working on it.

I've been on insulin for a number of years now. My control has been quite good with A1c no higher than 6.0. All I can tell you is what I'm doing now. By eliminating the bad carbs; and limiting the low glycemic index carbs, I have gone from 100 units per day to zero units per day in a month. Am I cured? Of course not. But I can do a test any time of day and be 120 mg/dl or less. The spikes are gone. Best of all, I'm losing weight. And that weight is a big part of my mobility issue.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

01-27-2016 08:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who ordered the hail? PollCat 7 2,118 04-12-2013 07:52 AM
Last Post: Bompa