Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: Physical Therapy ordered by cardio.
(01-27-2016 08:35 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Daria:

I know I don't need to tell you that's not good.
You're very smart lady; and I know you're working on it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! and yes, I am! Looking at the last year - 1 year ago my A1C was 6 and never much higher. it went up abruptly peaking last summer and even adding a new med (Januvia) did not bring it down by enough to notice. Yesterday I had a lighbulb moment realizing that I began taking "Rythmol" in mid January 2015... so I googled, and sure enough hyperglycemia is a rare side effect of rythmol!!! (I am always rare. lol) So I sent my cardiologist a note saying I am stopping it - and that I have an appt with him in 1 week when we can discuss the results of stopping it and explore treatment options. He sent back an agreement with that plan, so now I am anxious to see what my fasting blood sugar will be tomorrow and succeeding days. The Rythmol is for an arrhythmia I have always had, and not a condition that is due to any disease but is inherited.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
01-29-2016 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SideSleeper Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DS560HS REMstar Auto-A Flex+ +
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp & Dreamwear
Humidifier: Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: APAP 11-11

Other Comments:

I got scared straight when my A1C hit 6.1 in November--first time my PCP had checked it. I'm about 30 pounds overweight. Really started watching what I ate and tried to reduce the crap I was snacking on and did get some weight off before Christmas. Didn't gain it all back, then started in earnest--went back on Weight Watchers, watched my carbs, had a visit with a dietitian and got some good tips for a prediabetic, and have lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks. I planned to loose weight before my knee replacement coming up on 10 February but the higher A1C was the kicker. I want t get this under control before it gets worse. No history of diabetes in my family ever, so it is my own fault. Stick with it, Daria!
01-30-2016 08:06 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

SideSleeper: A1c of 6.1 % is not bad; but it's a warning signal to change what you are doing.
5.5% and below is considered normal.
If you did not make the changes, you'd be taking Metformin soon; then perhaps insulin.

I just did a calculation: I am averaging 0.54 pounds per day weight loss.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-30-2016 09:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

JM, it's about time someone put you back in boot camp. Sounds like a good attitude adjustment and health change. I keep walking the dogs up the steep hill here, but probably need to do more...like cutting back on good high gravity beer.

Anyway, I'm curious what version Skyraider you flew. Those things go back to WWII and went thorough Viet Nam. Amazing!

01-30-2016 10:00 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(01-30-2016 10:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  JM, it's about time someone put you back in boot camp. Sounds like a good attitude adjustment and health change. I keep walking the dogs up the steep hill here, but probably need to do more...like cutting back on good high gravity beer.

Anyway, I'm curious what version Skyraider you flew. Those things go back to WWII and went thorough Viet Nam. Amazing!

A1H single seat.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-31-2016 12:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi JM,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss and getting off the insulin, keep up the good work.
Good luck to you with your PT.

trish6hundred
02-02-2016 09:52 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

jM ~ I'm so glad you started this thread as it gives me courage to keep doing what I started Jan 1 of this year.

My younger son, who is 40, lost considerably weight last year and then gained some of it back. While he was home for Christmas we were discussing weight loss in general. I told him about eliminating the grains, pasta, rice, potatoes or at least cutting way back on his portions. Since he is single he mentioned it would be easier if he had an exercise partner. He issued me a challenge: "Join him in exercise to see if I could lose weight." He lives in another state, so obviously we can't walk together.

But I have, sitting in a corner, a Spirit XBR95 recumbent bike gathering dust. I started riding 1-1-16 and have ridden every day but one when I was sick. I haven't lost the weight, but I have cut way back on the amount of insulin I use. I have hopes that if I can regain some muscle strength, reduce the units of insulin I use that I will be able to lose weight by the time my son comes to visit again.

So, thanks for sharing your concerns about PT. If I can get started, so can you and I wish you the best possible outcome.

btw......my diabetic diagnosis was April 2003 and that is when I found out I was type 1 diabetic.
02-03-2016 12:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(01-26-2016 07:22 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Saw my cardio doc yesterday. He's concerned about my limited mobility because I've just plain let my muscles get in poor shape.

So, he's going to refer me to Physical Therapy.
I see that as good and bad. The good is that I need it.
The bad is -- I think it's going to be painful.

But, if I don't do it, then next is a wheel chair. And, then the long dirt nap.

I'm doing the research on whom I should use for PT. I hate all the darn forms. The personal questions they ask. The space for one's SSN and Driver's License #.

Then I read their privacy policy about all the agencies and entities then may disclose information to. "National Security and Intelligence Agencies?" Say What? Are you kidding me?

Just curious on how you are doing with the PT and the weight loss? It sounds like things are headed in the right direction for you?
02-16-2016 04:23 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

PT is still in the paperwork stage. My cardio said he had to write a letter of necessity and work through my primary.
I did the research; and found 3 local places they can pick. It's akin to those who wait for the paperwork to get their machines.
I expect it will take until the end of March to get started.

I did lose 20 pounds on my diet; but my fasting sugars kept creeping up; so, I'm back on insulin; and have to have some carbs now that I'm using the insulin.

So, I sort of static.

So, Grammabear, I assume they found you to be type 1 by looking for an antibody in a blood test?

02-16-2016 04:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(02-16-2016 04:47 PM)justMongo Wrote:  PT is still in the paperwork stage. My cardio said he had to write a letter of necessity and work through my primary.
I did the research; and found 3 local places they can pick. It's akin to those who wait for the paperwork to get their machines.
I expect it will take until the end of March to get started.

I did lose 20 pounds on my diet; but my fasting sugars kept creeping up; so, I'm back on insulin; and have to have some carbs now that I'm using the insulin.

So, I sort of static.

So, Grammabear, I assume they found you to be type 1 by looking for an antibody in a blood test?

My Dad used to say that the wheels of government move ever so slowly, so perhaps that is what is happening in your case regarding the PT.

Actually the GP I was seeing at the time, diagnosed me by the results only of a BMP - basic metabolic test which includes a glucose level. He immediately put me on oral medication which did not work. Then he used a series of oral meds which also did not work. In the meantime I was losing weight even though I wasn't trying. When I asked to be referred to a local Endocrinologist, my request was denied.

I called the local Endocrinologist, explained my situation and was given an appointment promptly. The Endo ran a c-peptide test which indicated my pancreas was not making any insulin on its own. The Endo also said it was too late to run a antibody test. The rest is history.

What kind of insulin did the doctor give you?
02-16-2016 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who ordered the hail? PollCat 7 2,122 04-12-2013 07:52 AM
Last Post: Bompa