Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pick-up my CPAP Machine on Monday!
Grin 
Pick-up my CPAP Machine on Monday!
Hi everyone! I always knew that I snored thru the night, but when my wife was worried when I would stop breathing while sleeping, I knew I had to do something (not to mention waking up feeling tired and remaining that way throughout the day). I had my sleep study done last Wednesday evening and it was the best thing that I have ever done!! I fell asleep at 10:30pm, woke up and felt like I only slept an hour, looked at the clock and it was already 5am! I had so much energy that next day it was unbelievable. I dreaded the next week+ that I knew I would have to wait for the doc to write the script and to set up and appointment to go pick it up. I called everyday to make sure everything was going through. I am super excited to finally get it. I just had a general question: I am normally a mouth breather when I sleep but at the study they went with just a nasal pillow (which i was surprised worked!), but ever since then my nose is super dry and have been blowing blood out (more so the first few days) ever since. Is there anything to help with this?
If there are any other suggestions for a newbie please let me know!!! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pick-up my CPAP Machine on Monday!
(02-19-2016, 09:09 AM)letsgobuffalo12 Wrote: Hi everyone! I always knew that I snored thru the night, but when my wife was worried when I would stop breathing while sleeping, I knew I had to do something (not to mention waking up feeling tired and remaining that way throughout the day). I had my sleep study done last Wednesday evening and it was the best thing that I have ever done!! I fell asleep at 10:30pm, woke up and felt like I only slept an hour, looked at the clock and it was already 5am! I had so much energy that next day it was unbelievable. I dreaded the next week+ that I knew I would have to wait for the doc to write the script and to set up and appointment to go pick it up. I called everyday to make sure everything was going through. I am super excited to finally get it. I just had a general question: I am normally a mouth breather when I sleep but at the study they went with just a nasal pillow (which i was surprised worked!), but ever since then my nose is super dry and have been blowing blood out (more so the first few days) ever since. Is there anything to help with this?
If there are any other suggestions for a newbie please let me know!!! Thanks

Good luck with your therapy. Finding the best mask for yourself can be a challenge. It sounds like a pillow mask is not going to work well for you? Pillows did not work for me as well. But I did find a good nasal mast. Mirage Activa LT.

Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

My sleep study never used a humidifier. Your machine will (should) have one. This will help a lot with dry nose/throat. I have mine set to 4. Right in the middle for an A10.

They make OTC nasal spray to relieve the dryness. Saline water like in a nettie pot works also to provide temporary relief.

As Mr. Nifty wrote, you may need to try different masks to get one you are comfortable with using. I started out with a Mirage Liberty, which I really liked, but as my pressure was turned up I had more leaks. I tried a P10 and never went back. Of course, with the P10 I had to also buy a chin strap. Oh well.. no one said CPAP was glamorous. Smile
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure you have the humidifier and heated hose for your machine. If the DME doesn't offer it, use the nose bleed as the basis for medical necessity...call your doctor from the DME and have him fax a modified prescription that includes the humidifier. Most get it automatically, so don't sweat this.

The nasal pillows are absolutely the way to go. You will sleep better and get fewer leaks and enjoy a much smaller interface. Many of us like the Resmed Airfit P10 because it has a very quiet vent that won't blow on your wife or you. Nose bleeds are very uncommon with humidification. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a super dry nose at my sleep study as well. Using the humidifier on your CPAP at home will help with that a lot. (It needs distilled water.)

Indoor air tends to be dry in many places in the US in the wintertime. Some ways to combat nighttime nasal dryness in addition to using the humidifier in your CPAP machine are: warm shower right before bed, saline nasal spray, saline nasal rinses (Neti pot or other type) and avoiding drying medications (Tylenol PM, Benadryl, hydroxyzine).

Steroid nasal sprays like Flonase or Nasalcort can also help with more severe nasal stuffiness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi letsgobuffalo12,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like they didn't use humidity, or if they did, maybe it wasn't enough.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and good luck with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 02:38 PM)green wings Wrote: I got a super dry nose at my sleep study as well. Using the humidifier on your CPAP at home will help with that a lot. (It needs distilled water.)

Indoor air tends to be dry in many places in the US in the wintertime. Some ways to combat nighttime nasal dryness in addition to using the humidifier in your CPAP machine are: warm shower right before bed, saline nasal spray, saline nasal rinses (Neti pot or other type) and avoiding drying medications (Tylenol PM, Benadryl, hydroxyzine).

Steroid nasal sprays like Flonase or Nasalcort can also help with more severe nasal stuffiness.

Just FWIW, since 2008 I have not used any distilled water, never used a nasal spray, don't even know what a neti pot is, and take showers for cleanliness not humidity. Never a nose bleed or a problem. I'd avoid steroid nasal sprays unless you have a reason to use them.

This is simple. Why make it difficult?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not so simple for everyone. I was having problems with nasal dryness before I started using CPAP. I don't recommend more than occasional use of steroid nasal sprays.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi letsgobuffalo12,

Some people report that steroid sprays contribute to dryness. And as they say above getting the right mask is key.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello letsgobuffalo12'

It looks like the nasal pillow worked well for you in your study so I would wait until you try a nasal pillow with a machine that has a humidifier before you decide it won't work for you. I think the humidifier will take care of your problem with dryness. The pillow is really the way to go if you can tolerate it. I started with a full face mask and changed to a nasal pillow a few days ago. One of the best treatment decisions I have made so far. I couldn't believe how much better it is than the FFM. It is lighter, seals better and is more comfortable than the FFM was. My water usage with the humidifier has also dropped a great deal since I started using the pillow.

I have used Nasacort off and on for a while now. While it does relieve stuffiness, it has been my experience that it takes a couple of days to start working. I rarely use the Nasacort now. The air pressure and humidity of my CPAP usually take care of any stuffiness I may have.

Good luck with your treatment.

pupcamper
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,749 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.