Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pick-up my CPAP Machine on Monday!
RE: Pick-up my CPAP Machine on Monday!
(02-19-2016, 09:09 AM)letsgobuffalo12 Wrote: If there are any other suggestions for a newbie please let me know!!!

Hi letsgobuffalo12, welcome to Apnea Board.

If you haven't already, would be good to read carefully the following advice about machine choices:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

In addition to asking the doctor to prescribe a humidifier and heated hose, before going to pick up the machine, I suggest asking the doctor to also prescribe a pressure range, such as 10 to 13, rather than straight 12. A good machine which gives Flow data and which distinguishes between central apneas and obstructive apneas is often important.

The APAP machines can be set up in basic CPAP constant pressure mode, if it turns out that would be best for you, but in most cases an APAP machine operating in APAP therapy mode provides treatment which is more comfortable as well as more efficacious.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 02:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The nasal pillows are absolutely the way to go. You will sleep better and get fewer leaks and enjoy a much smaller interface.

I absolutely disagree - there is absolutely no way that that is "absolutely the way to go."

Absolutely everyone is absolutely different. I tried nasal pillows and absolutely found them absolutely unsuitable. I absolutely use a nasal mask that works great for me. The nasal pillows, at the same pressure, absolutely felt like the pressure was absolutely too high (which could cause irritation to the lining of the nose, and some folks may believe that they may cause boogers to be blown up into your brain). And I absolutely don't need a FFM because I absolutely don't have an absolute problem with mouth breathing.

Pappa Bear likes his porridge hot and his bed hard. Mamma Bear likes her porridge cold and her bed soft. And Baby Bear like his porridge in between and his bed somewhere between hard and soft. And Goldilocks is absolutely a burglar under the laws of certain states.

And for each one of their absolute situations every other preference is absolutely wrong.

So, try nasal masks. I bet you may see a difference in comfort and effectiveness between each one.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thanks everyone for the helpful hints and tricks! I pick it up today at 3:00 so if I have further questions I know where to go! Thank you all so much! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
So just a follow up; I had my appointment yesterday with Upstate Home Care, and they were great. They gave me the ResMed AirSense 10 (AutoSet) which seems like a great machine. I am also using the ResMed AirFit P10 pillow mask, which is also great. I wore the machine for a total of 7 1/4 hours last night and FINALLY woke up feeling refreshed with the energy that I should be having. My wife also said that she couldn't sleep because it was TOO quiet, haha! Thank you all again for your advice, it is nice to know that we have this resource of such knowledgeable people right at our fingertips, thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 02:31 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 02:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The nasal pillows are absolutely the way to go. You will sleep better and get fewer leaks and enjoy a much smaller interface.

I absolutely disagree - there is absolutely no way that that is "absolutely the way to go."
OMMOHY

OMMOHY, resistance is futile! Laugh-a-lot
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Letsgobuffalo, congrats on the easy transition to PAP, and the wise choices you obviously made. like
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 364 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,284 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.