Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

RE: Picking a DME -- What is Best
(06-01-2015 08:46 PM)me50 Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:47 PM)2PAPs Wrote:  All I really know at this point is that I will be getting a Philips Respironics machine, as that's the only brand on the Kaiser formulary and that I will be purchasing it with a 20% copay from Apria. That I know more about what's going on now, I won't be snookered by Apria with a used machine, etc.

I didn't know that insurance companies had a formulary for CPAP machines.Learned something new today. So glad that mine wasn't that way. Anyway, just watch Apria like a hawk or two and let us know how it goes.

I'm not surprised Kaiser has a formulary. Mostly, it is HMOs and PPOs that have formularies for medical equipment whereas Medicare and other insurance companies use the codes.
06-02-2015 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(06-02-2015 07:27 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:47 PM)2PAPs Wrote:  All I really know at this point is that I will be getting a Philips Respironics machine, as that's the only brand on the Kaiser formulary and that I will be purchasing it with a 20% copay from Apria. That I know more about what's going on now, I won't be snookered by Apria with a used machine, etc.

I didn't know that insurance companies had a formulary for CPAP machines.Learned something new today. So glad that mine wasn't that way. Anyway, just watch Apria like a hawk or two and let us know how it goes.

I'm not surprised Kaiser has a formulary. Mostly, it is HMOs and PPOs that have formularies for medical equipment whereas Medicare and other insurance companies use the codes.

I have Humana PPO and they use the codes.....no formulary for medical equipment. It is a good thing because I cannot use PR. I tried with my first CPAP and although I knew nothing about machines, etc. because just like today, they don't educate you, I just quit using the machine. I still have it in the closet. When I got the Resmed, I have never gone without using it.
06-02-2015 08:30 AM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(06-02-2015 07:27 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  

I have Humana PPO and they use the codes.....no formulary for medical equipment. It is a good thing because I cannot use PR. I tried with my first CPAP and although I knew nothing about machines, etc. because just like today, they don't educate you, I just quit using the machine. I still have it in the closet. When I got the Resmed, I have never gone without using it.
06-02-2015 08:30 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AndyB Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with RERA
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus, ResMed AirFit F10; PR Amara View
Humidifier: ResMed integrated heated
CPAP Pressure: 10.4-13.0

Other Comments: Diagnosed May 2015; EPR @ 1cmH2O; Ramp off; ResMed Climateline heated hose

Sex: Male

I have confirmed with my non-profit healthcare provider that it is unable to be my DME under Original Medicare because it is not a designated Medicare Contract Supplier of CPAP devices and related accessories and supplies for the Competitive Bidding Area where I live (SE Wisconsin). Since I want my CPAP and related accessories and supplies to be covered by Medicare, I must use a Contract Supplier. The American HomePatient facility in my area gets very good reviews from my healthcare provider, so that's where I intend to start out. Will update this thread after I get going with AHP.
06-02-2015 07:46 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(06-02-2015 07:46 PM)AndyB Wrote:  I have confirmed with my non-profit healthcare provider that it is unable to be my DME under Original Medicare because it is not a designated Medicare Contract Supplier of CPAP devices and related accessories and supplies for the Competitive Bidding Area where I live (SE Wisconsin). Since I want my CPAP and related accessories and supplies to be covered by Medicare, I must use a Contract Supplier. The American HomePatient facility in my area gets very good reviews from my healthcare provider, so that's where I intend to start out. Will update this thread after I get going with AHP.

too bad the one I told you about didn't work out.
06-03-2015 12:56 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
lmoretti Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One 60 with AFlex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10
Humidifier: PR
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

May not help you, but I'm in the Madison area and so far have had a great time dealing with UW Home Health. They have a location on the east side of Madison (I use their Middleton office). Granted, just got my machine today, but every phone call/interaction I've made has been super friendly and informative.
06-03-2015 01:58 PM
AndyB Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with RERA
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus, ResMed AirFit F10; PR Amara View
Humidifier: ResMed integrated heated
CPAP Pressure: 10.4-13.0

Other Comments: Diagnosed May 2015; EPR @ 1cmH2O; Ramp off; ResMed Climateline heated hose

I decided to use American HomePatient, and so far I've been very satisfied. Everyone at AHP I've talked with -- both locally and at their U.S. national office -- has been friendly and helpful, and they filled my prescription promptly, correctly and without any hassle. Like Imoretti, I've just gotten my APAP, so it's early in this relationship, but first impressions are extremely positive.
06-13-2015 03:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sprite60 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP COPD
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 26/20

Other Comments:

Among the other suggestions, I checked with the Better Business Bureau. Apria serves Missouri, where I am located, but they have an "F" rating from the BBB nationally. Fortunately for me, there are two DME's with "A+" ratings in my area. Good luck!
06-13-2015 04:55 PM
SleepyWabbit Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: DS560S (PRS1 REMStar Auto)
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: DS6H
CPAP Pressure: 12cm

Other Comments:

Anybody know anything about RoTech? I'm getting my first CPAP and I was told by the American Sleep Medicine (where I did my study) that NeighborCare was the only DME that UHC (my insurance) covered In Network. When I looked up NeighborCare, it looks like they were bought by RoTech back in 2011?
06-13-2015 05:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HELP - Picking a Cheap CPAP to start with! thcguy12 14 1,063 01-30-2016 01:09 PM
Last Post: Mr. Van Winkle
  Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use? StoopidMonkey81 19 1,400 11-16-2015 05:35 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [Equipment] I need help with picking a mask. LevelMarc 15 2,148 01-17-2015 03:18 PM
Last Post: Ghost1958
Idea PICK BOTH Club - commit right now to picking both breathing and sleeping. quiescence at last 5 1,391 12-20-2014 01:37 AM
Last Post: Galactus