Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Picking a DME -- What is Best
RE: Picking a DME -- What is Best
(06-01-2015, 08:46 PM)me50 Wrote:
(06-01-2015, 03:47 PM)2PAPs Wrote: All I really know at this point is that I will be getting a Philips Respironics machine, as that's the only brand on the Kaiser formulary and that I will be purchasing it with a 20% copay from Apria. That I know more about what's going on now, I won't be snookered by Apria with a used machine, etc.

I didn't know that insurance companies had a formulary for CPAP machines.Learned something new today. So glad that mine wasn't that way. Anyway, just watch Apria like a hawk or two and let us know how it goes.

I'm not surprised Kaiser has a formulary. Mostly, it is HMOs and PPOs that have formularies for medical equipment whereas Medicare and other insurance companies use the codes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 07:27 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(06-01-2015, 03:47 PM)2PAPs Wrote: All I really know at this point is that I will be getting a Philips Respironics machine, as that's the only brand on the Kaiser formulary and that I will be purchasing it with a 20% copay from Apria. That I know more about what's going on now, I won't be snookered by Apria with a used machine, etc.

I didn't know that insurance companies had a formulary for CPAP machines.Learned something new today. So glad that mine wasn't that way. Anyway, just watch Apria like a hawk or two and let us know how it goes.

I'm not surprised Kaiser has a formulary. Mostly, it is HMOs and PPOs that have formularies for medical equipment whereas Medicare and other insurance companies use the codes.

I have Humana PPO and they use the codes.....no formulary for medical equipment. It is a good thing because I cannot use PR. I tried with my first CPAP and although I knew nothing about machines, etc. because just like today, they don't educate you, I just quit using the machine. I still have it in the closet. When I got the Resmed, I have never gone without using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 07:27 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:

I have Humana PPO and they use the codes.....no formulary for medical equipment. It is a good thing because I cannot use PR. I tried with my first CPAP and although I knew nothing about machines, etc. because just like today, they don't educate you, I just quit using the machine. I still have it in the closet. When I got the Resmed, I have never gone without using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have confirmed with my non-profit healthcare provider that it is unable to be my DME under Original Medicare because it is not a designated Medicare Contract Supplier of CPAP devices and related accessories and supplies for the Competitive Bidding Area where I live (SE Wisconsin). Since I want my CPAP and related accessories and supplies to be covered by Medicare, I must use a Contract Supplier. The American HomePatient facility in my area gets very good reviews from my healthcare provider, so that's where I intend to start out. Will update this thread after I get going with AHP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 07:46 PM)AndyB Wrote: I have confirmed with my non-profit healthcare provider that it is unable to be my DME under Original Medicare because it is not a designated Medicare Contract Supplier of CPAP devices and related accessories and supplies for the Competitive Bidding Area where I live (SE Wisconsin). Since I want my CPAP and related accessories and supplies to be covered by Medicare, I must use a Contract Supplier. The American HomePatient facility in my area gets very good reviews from my healthcare provider, so that's where I intend to start out. Will update this thread after I get going with AHP.

too bad the one I told you about didn't work out.
Post Reply Post Reply
May not help you, but I'm in the Madison area and so far have had a great time dealing with UW Home Health. They have a location on the east side of Madison (I use their Middleton office). Granted, just got my machine today, but every phone call/interaction I've made has been super friendly and informative.
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to use American HomePatient, and so far I've been very satisfied. Everyone at AHP I've talked with -- both locally and at their U.S. national office -- has been friendly and helpful, and they filled my prescription promptly, correctly and without any hassle. Like Imoretti, I've just gotten my APAP, so it's early in this relationship, but first impressions are extremely positive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Among the other suggestions, I checked with the Better Business Bureau. Apria serves Missouri, where I am located, but they have an "F" rating from the BBB nationally. Fortunately for me, there are two DME's with "A+" ratings in my area. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Anybody know anything about RoTech? I'm getting my first CPAP and I was told by the American Sleep Medicine (where I did my study) that NeighborCare was the only DME that UHC (my insurance) covered In Network. When I looked up NeighborCare, it looks like they were bought by RoTech back in 2011?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help picking a new CPAP machine. edyurgal 19 1,915 09-15-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: edyurgal
  Picking up where I left off - My CPAP Therapy Thread SwirlySauce 38 2,774 04-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: SwirlySauce
  Need advise and help picking correct CPAP leanintoit 7 899 02-16-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: leanintoit
  Picking a CPAP Tinman53 9 1,601 07-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Help Picking First Machine ultramag 8 1,696 10-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Last Post: zack37
  [Equipment] Picking Up A New ASV, Quick Question Shift Worker 6 1,559 08-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Shift Worker
  [Equipment] New user needs help picking ASV machine with great software. Sleepyhead? Others? gtrlum 4 1,530 06-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Last Post: gtrlum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.