Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
StoopidMonkey81 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Integrated + ClimateLineAir Tube
CPAP Pressure: 9.8-14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Started therapy November 20, 2015

Sex: Male

Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
So I made it through the home study, CPAP titration, doctor Rx writing, approval from Aetna, and processing at Apria. Now I get to pick up a shiny new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (they gladly didn't fight me on that) along with ClimateLineAir tube and F10 FFM. Apart from downloading SleepyHead, is there anything you'd recommend I do while at the DME or before my first use?
11-11-2015 06:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

RE: Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
While you're there (if it were me) I'd ask to try on some different masks. If you're able to go with either a nasal pillows mask or just a nasal mask, try whatever they'll let you. Easiest way to see/try new masks.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
11-11-2015 06:35 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

RE: Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
There have been a lot of complaints toward Apria, so watch them like a hawk.

Check on their billing, make sure everything is done properly with your insurance. Find out what if any part you pay for supplies, and ask if they are giving you a 30day trial on your mask.

Read before you sign anything.

If I sound paranoid..... Oh-jeez

OpalRose
11-11-2015 07:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
pwgphoto Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with humidifier
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: Resprionics DreamWear
Humidifier: Respironics DreamStation Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 7-11
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

If trying different masks, also try the DreamWear. I have been doping CPAP for two weeks now and have used the AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows and Wisp Nasal Mask most of the time. Two days ago I got a PR DreamWear Mask and so far I think it is the best.
11-11-2015 10:07 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Look over the machine to make sure it is what you are told and what you are expecting to receive.

Remember: You never have more power over a DME than in the time before you accept the machine.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-11-2015 01:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

You might want to download the manual for that machine (follow the link for CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page) and learn how to navigate the menus. You can verify whether the machine is brand spankin' new or is a return by looking at the non-resettable blower hours from the clinical setup menu. That will really impress your RT who might be tempted to slap your hand since you are not supposed to know how to do that. LOL.

Seriously, you do know that returned machines are reissued by Apria, right? Depending on what mask you're being issued, be sure they don't pull out the "extra" pieces. For example, most pillows masks come with all three sizes of nasal pillows. DMEs will typically remove all but one of those. Don't let them do that, you may need an alternate size, and believe me you're paying for the complete set. They sell the ones they remove.

11-11-2015 02:26 PM
StoopidMonkey81 Offline

Preferred Members

(11-11-2015 02:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  You might want to download the manual for that machine (follow the link for CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page) and learn how to navigate the menus. You can verify whether the machine is brand spankin' new or is a return by looking at the non-resettable blower hours from the clinical setup menu. That will really impress your RT who might be tempted to slap your hand since you are not supposed to know how to do that. LOL.

Do you think they'd be willing to do that in person before I leave? If so, am I stuck with that machine or am I able to demand a never-used model? Not sure if I'm obligated to take whatever they give me if I want to use their company.
11-11-2015 02:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I don't know if I'd do that in their offices, but I wouldn't hesitate to check it upon arriving at home. Chances are you will get a new machine, but it's worth checking. I've seen it all on this forum.

More importantly, be sure you keep copies of your prescription and sleep studies for future reference. Create a file with all the documents and bills you get from the DME. Verify your replacement interval for mask, hose etc with your insurance before agreeing to any automatic fulfillment from Apria. Try to avoid leaving an open credit card for automatic charges with them.

11-11-2015 03:10 PM
StoopidMonkey81 Offline

Preferred Members

(11-11-2015 03:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Try to avoid leaving an open credit card for automatic charges with them.

It didn't seem like I had a choice when I opened an account with them over the phone. They already set that up.
11-11-2015 03:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(11-11-2015 02:42 PM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote:  Do you think they'd be willing to do that in person before I leave? If so, am I stuck with that machine or am I able to demand a never-used model? Not sure if I'm obligated to take whatever they give me if I want to use their company.

How far do you have to drive? Ask them if this is a new, unopened machine, because that is what you are paying for.

Before you sign the paperwork, read everything. If they try to rush you, just tell them, I never sign stuff I haven't read. Be sure to read about the part that says that you are responsible if your insurance doesn't pay. If you have a RENTAL, as you may depending on your insurance, add some language that you will not be responsible for more than 1 month of coverage in the event your insurance company does not pay. Make sure a manager cosigns and dates it. Otherwise, they can hit you for 6-9 months of billings for their own screwups (and posts online indicate that they have done this more than once).
11-11-2015 04:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Medicare Advantage Coverage for APAP Evie 4 232 12-05-2016 09:49 PM
Last Post: Evie
  First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy? sleepjunky 44 26,403 11-12-2016 05:44 PM
Last Post: Clay L
  Been about a week with the AirSense 10 for Her Beej 4 397 11-11-2016 09:30 PM
Last Post: Beej
  cpap and apap not effictive Ezil71 109 3,131 11-05-2016 11:19 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [CPAP] First week and some questions cedrorum 7 284 10-28-2016 06:12 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Unable to clear throat while on APAP NorthernGuy 5 311 10-17-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Just Started Using an Auto CPAP this week for 1st time ApneaintheATL 4 445 10-14-2016 06:06 PM
Last Post: player