Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
RE: Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
and keep a close eye on the creditcard activity....
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
Has anybody had any luck getting Apria to add the "I must be notified within 30 days of any issues with payments from the insurance company" to their contracts? I've not much experience in haggling, etc, and the thought of taking a print-out contract, modifying it, and having a manager sign it to make it so just seems so unlikely to succeed without major pushback.
Post Reply Post Reply
Headed to Apria today to pick up the machine. Looking for any experiences with the suggested contract modification above or if anybody has ever been refused a new unit once it's discovered that the unit they provided was a refurb. Am I entitled to a brand new machine if I insist on it, or is the answer likely to be "Refurb is as good as new, take it or leave it."?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2015, 06:27 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: Am I entitled to a brand new machine if I insist on it, or is the answer likely to be "Refurb is as good as new, take it or leave it."?
Yes, insist on it. You should even be able to ask them to bring it out in the box and set it right in front of you. Refurbished could be a machine with just a few hours on it or thousands of hours. You are paying for a new machine. As others suggested, I would also ask to try on other masks as well, F/F, nasal and nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definetly insist on a new machine. I don't use Apria, but my DME gave me a used machine and I didn't realize it until I got the Clinicians manual and checked the Blower/machine hours.

They erased the user hours, but machine hours cannot be erased or reset. I had used it for a few weeks when I found out. I complained and they ordered me a brand new machine without complaint.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got home with my shiny new toy! It was indeed brand new and the Apria rep had no problem showing that to me in the Clinical Menu. He was pretty straightforward and said the only time that office issued refurbed equipment was in cases where the customer was paying out of pocket (possibly at a discounted rate). No dice on getting the payment notification language added to the contract as he was only the tech and that all the contract / accounting stuff has been outsourced to the central office and was not dealt with at the branch level anymore. He seemed to think that as long as I met compliance standards there shouldn't be an issue with the insurance company (but feel free to tell me otherwise if that's not typical with Apria). I also was steered towards the P10 pillows to start since he said I'd likely run into the same leak problems (side sleeper) I had at the sleep study and he'd only recommend a FFM as a last resort if I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Smile Which, at the moment, I don't see as being a problem. I'm not going to start until Friday night just in case I can't fall asleep again like in the sleep study. Wish me luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good, it seems like you lucked out with the DME.

Also, the P10 is a good mask to start with. If you are going to wait until Friday, at least get it set up and put your mask on while reading or watching TV for a few hours each day. This really does help in getting used to it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear you got a brand spanking new shiny toy!! Good luck with your therapy and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can make the nasal pillows work for you, you'll be very happy. A full face is just so confining, I don't know how anyone does it. Nasal pillows actually open your nasal passages and can turn a mouth breather into a nose breather. I believe! Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-on-pillow

here's hoping for a great first night tonight...

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 575 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 430 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,417 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,149 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.