Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
So I made it through the home study, CPAP titration, doctor Rx writing, approval from Aetna, and processing at Apria. Now I get to pick up a shiny new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (they gladly didn't fight me on that) along with ClimateLineAir tube and F10 FFM. Apart from downloading SleepyHead, is there anything you'd recommend I do while at the DME or before my first use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
While you're there (if it were me) I'd ask to try on some different masks. If you're able to go with either a nasal pillows mask or just a nasal mask, try whatever they'll let you. Easiest way to see/try new masks.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Picking up my APAP machine next week; anything I should do at DME / before first use?
There have been a lot of complaints toward Apria, so watch them like a hawk.

Check on their billing, make sure everything is done properly with your insurance. Find out what if any part you pay for supplies, and ask if they are giving you a 30day trial on your mask.

Read before you sign anything.

If I sound paranoid..... Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If trying different masks, also try the DreamWear. I have been doping CPAP for two weeks now and have used the AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows and Wisp Nasal Mask most of the time. Two days ago I got a PR DreamWear Mask and so far I think it is the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look over the machine to make sure it is what you are told and what you are expecting to receive.

Remember: You never have more power over a DME than in the time before you accept the machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to download the manual for that machine (follow the link for CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page) and learn how to navigate the menus. You can verify whether the machine is brand spankin' new or is a return by looking at the non-resettable blower hours from the clinical setup menu. That will really impress your RT who might be tempted to slap your hand since you are not supposed to know how to do that. LOL.

Seriously, you do know that returned machines are reissued by Apria, right? Depending on what mask you're being issued, be sure they don't pull out the "extra" pieces. For example, most pillows masks come with all three sizes of nasal pillows. DMEs will typically remove all but one of those. Don't let them do that, you may need an alternate size, and believe me you're paying for the complete set. They sell the ones they remove.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 02:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You might want to download the manual for that machine (follow the link for CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page) and learn how to navigate the menus. You can verify whether the machine is brand spankin' new or is a return by looking at the non-resettable blower hours from the clinical setup menu. That will really impress your RT who might be tempted to slap your hand since you are not supposed to know how to do that. LOL.

Do you think they'd be willing to do that in person before I leave? If so, am I stuck with that machine or am I able to demand a never-used model? Not sure if I'm obligated to take whatever they give me if I want to use their company.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if I'd do that in their offices, but I wouldn't hesitate to check it upon arriving at home. Chances are you will get a new machine, but it's worth checking. I've seen it all on this forum.

More importantly, be sure you keep copies of your prescription and sleep studies for future reference. Create a file with all the documents and bills you get from the DME. Verify your replacement interval for mask, hose etc with your insurance before agreeing to any automatic fulfillment from Apria. Try to avoid leaving an open credit card for automatic charges with them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 03:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Try to avoid leaving an open credit card for automatic charges with them.

It didn't seem like I had a choice when I opened an account with them over the phone. They already set that up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 02:42 PM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: Do you think they'd be willing to do that in person before I leave? If so, am I stuck with that machine or am I able to demand a never-used model? Not sure if I'm obligated to take whatever they give me if I want to use their company.

How far do you have to drive? Ask them if this is a new, unopened machine, because that is what you are paying for.

Before you sign the paperwork, read everything. If they try to rush you, just tell them, I never sign stuff I haven't read. Be sure to read about the part that says that you are responsible if your insurance doesn't pay. If you have a RENTAL, as you may depending on your insurance, add some language that you will not be responsible for more than 1 month of coverage in the event your insurance company does not pay. Make sure a manager cosigns and dates it. Otherwise, they can hit you for 6-9 months of billings for their own screwups (and posts online indicate that they have done this more than once).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.