Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pilairo Q users, how often do you get new parts?
Pilairo Q users, how often do you get new parts?
I have been using the Pilairo Q for over 2 months now. In the last couple of weeks, I've been having some leak issues. I will wake up in the night and there will be some air leak noise. It's not a leak between the pillow and my nose/face, but between the pillow and the frame. I find that a quick push on the bottom part of the pillow will snap it back in place. This sometimes will happen more than once in a single night.

Is this just wear and tear of the mask? Could it be the pillow stretching or the frame wearing out? I'm wondering if I need to replace one or both. Or if this has been happening all along and I'm just noticing it now.

Any other Pilairo Q users out there? What is your experience?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pilairo Q users, how often do you get new parts?
Hi Skram...

I have used the Pilairo (not Q) for about 18 months now. It has the same frame and pillows but with the choice of headgear and a new exhaust diffuser.

I find that the leak you describe can happen if I don't put the pillows back on properly after cleaning. I find that I need to make doubly sure that the pillows are firmly seated.

I notice your pressure range is very wide - what is your actual 90% or 95% pressure? If it up near 20 then that could possibly cause more problems with the seating of the pillows. Mine tops out at around 9.5 and is very usable.

I bought a new set of pillows after 10 months just so I had a spare but I am still using the original set with no problems.

as a p.s. - I have just bought a Q. It seems a lot quieter and the exhaust stream does not blow on my wife. I prefer the old head-strap so it is good for me that the Q comes with both (in Australia at least).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Moriarty,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I had found the same thing after cleaning, so now I ensure it is firmly seated. 95% pressure is around 9 and it rarely goes over 12.

I'm going to check with my sleep centre in case there is a tear or something as I believe there is a warranty of some sort or I'll just purchase a replacement through my health plan. Although someone on another site said that pillows have a 2 per month replacement schedule (that seems a little excessive to me and I think it has to do with what US medicare allows).

(I got to try the Pilairo during my trial and then when I purchased my mask I got the Q version. Like you I prefer the single strap and my wife likes the diffuser.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately there is no insurance cover for CPAP consumables like masks and hoses in Australia (and only $500 flat for the initial machine purchase). Given the the $AU price for a set of pillows of a head strap is around the $60 to $70 mark I won't be replacing stuff that often.

I find the pillows last well but I cant say the same for the strap... I find it wears out over my left ear and loses tension after about 8 to 20 months.

I agree about the Q - I bought it to improve the WAF... (Wife Accceptance Factor..)
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same mask, and found it was doing that to me, turned out the strap weakened, thus moving the mask around on my head. My solution i retro fitted a swimming goggles mask strap and its back to working fine, cost about 2 bucks:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
good solution - I might try that next time.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
The issue turns out to have been the headgear. It stretched out asn was too loose. I put a knot in the strap near the connector and it worked better, but got loose again. The strap was looking a little rough and nubbly. I put a second knot on the other side and that helped for a bit, but then it stretched out even more. I noticed that the strap was degrading, almost disintegrating. I can see holes through it.

So within 6 months, the headgear has worn out completely. I know others have used them for over a year, so not sure why this happened to mine. I washed it about every 2 weeks. I do put aftershave cream on my head after I shave it each morning, I don't know if that has some effect, but I would have expected most of it to be gone by bedtime.

I am now using the adjustable headgear that came with the Q. It is almost as comfortable, so that's working for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 06:36 AM)skram Wrote: The issue turns out to have been the headgear. It stretched out asn was too loose....

There seems to be a sweet spot for me with the Pilairo strap...

For the first 3 months it is a bit too tight... (I have a fat head)
For the next 6 months it is pretty good...
For the next 3 month it stretches too far and starts to break down in the spot that rubs over my right ear... (I sleep mostly on my right side.)

I vastly prefer the single strap to the new Q headgear - but at $67 a pop here in Australia it is a bit rich.

I have recent bought one for spare from Supplier 2.. Much more agreeable pricing - even allowing for freight
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2014, 01:45 AM)cellikbhoy Wrote: I have the same mask, and found it was doing that to me, turned out the strap weakened, thus moving the mask around on my head. My solution i retro fitted a swimming goggles mask strap and its back to working fine, cost about 2 bucks:grin:

Great idea! Do you use the hooks from the original Pilairo strap to secure your mask at night? If so, did you just cut them off the old strap and glue them to your swimming goggle strap?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,679 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Need parts for Resmed Astral 150 PappaJoe 2 164 04-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,318 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 590 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,666 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,818 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,798 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.