Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pilairo - ResMed Auto 9 compatibility
RE: Pilairo - ResMed Auto 9 compatibility
Hi ckwrites2

Well my S9 Autoset with H5i and the ResMed Swift FX nasal-pillow mask, does turn itself on and off without any problems.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 02:15 AM)Allen Wrote: I use a nasal mask and have only ever had it fail to turn off once and I have had it set to auto on/off since I bought it in September last year.

Hi Allen,

On the one time your machine failed to turn itself off with AutoStart/AutoStop enabled, do you know what caused this?

Do you know whether at the time the settings for mask type and hose type had been correct?

Thanks,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vaughn

I have no idea why it didn't turn off that one time, no changes to the settings had been made. It happened when I needed to go to the bathroom in the early hours of the morning, I had followed my usual routine of disconnecting the elbow from the mask (this is so I don't have to remove the mask) and put the hose under my pillow to reduce the noise so as not to disturb my partner. When I returned to bed I discovered the machine was still on, so I reconnected the hose and sat there for a couple of minutes and then disconnected the elbow to see if it remained on again, but within a few seconds the machine turned off.

Sorry I couldn't shed any light on your problem
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2013, 04:20 PM)Allen Wrote: I had followed my usual routine of disconnecting the elbow from the mask (this is so I don't have to remove the mask) and put the hose under my pillow to reduce the noise so as not to disturb my partner. When I returned to bed I discovered the machine was still on

OK. So this is an example of SmartStart not working as expected when the hose was placed under a pillow.

Do you normally put the hose under the pillow quickly, before the machine has time to turn itself off after a few seconds?

If yes, then perhaps when the hose was put under the pillow it managed to cause a little spike of positive pressure in the hose, fooling the machine into waiting for the breath to end, and the pillow caused enough resistance that the machine thought the mask was on, so until you came back to bed it was waiting for the breath to end. Perhaps if you were to have looked at the data for that night your data might have shown an "apnea" that lasted several minutes while this was happening. And perhaps if the hose had been put under the pillow more slowly the machine would have turned itself off after a few seconds, as it normally does.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always put the hose under the pillow before the machine turns off and I don't recall doing anything different that night, so am at a loss as to why it remained on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 390 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 481 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.