Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow Anxiety
Pillow Anxiety
So I've been trialing two new masks - the Airfit P10 for Her and the Pico.

The Pico is nice, but it blows cold air all over my arm and it's quite disruptive. The P10 is so comfortable and quiet, the headgear is minimal, and the air doesn't bother me. The issue is that it's causing me a slew of other symptoms.

When I'm wearing the nasal pillows, I feel like I'm suffocating. It takes me a while to calm and steady my breathing after putting it on and if I have to get up, move, interact with my husband, anything, I have to start the whole process over and I usually can't because it just makes the anxiety worse. I feel like I can't breathe, my chest hurts, I just want to open my mouth and breathe through it; which is what I do when I finally take the mask off. I think it's making me swallow air as well.

Now, I don't know if it's just because I'm getting over the flu and it's the congestion (I've tried moisture and nasal spray to help with that) that's causing these feelings or if it's something else... I managed to sleep 1 night with the mask, and felt good in the morning, but otherwise, it has been a nightmare. I've tried wearing sitting up in bed reading, and that was fine, it's when I lie down to go to sleep that the panic sets in.

Is this something that others have experienced with nasal pillows? Is there something I can do to get over it? I so want to love this mask...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow Anxiety
Yes, I felt that anxiety when I first started, but I told myself that I had to do this and did whatever it took to adjust.
What size pillow do you use? You may want to try one size larger.

You can also use one of the AFlex settings to help you exhale against the pressure. Set it at 2, and see if that makes a difference.

If you are using ramp, turn it off. That alone can give a suffocating feeling.

Hope you can resolve this, because the P10, although not for everyone, is the most minimalistic mask out there.
Dreaming
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 08:50 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, I felt that anxiety when I first started, but I told myself that I had to do this and did whatever it took to adjust.
What size pillow do you use? You may want to try one size larger.

You can also use one of the AFlex settings to help you exhale against the pressure. Set it at 2, and see if that makes a difference.

If you are using ramp, turn it off. That alone can give a suffocating feeling.

Hope you can resolve this, because the P10, although not for everyone, is the most minimalistic mask out there.
Dreaming

Thank you, I am using size small, but I really don't think I can go larger because it takes me forever to get them not to leak because they fold over on themselves since there's not enough room... the way I found to get the best fit was to use HPA lanolin cream prior to putting them on. Plus, the DME didn't give me any other size to try.

I also changed the flex setting from 1 to 2 and it also helped a little. I haven't been using the ramp. I tried it once and it was indeed worse.

I do love the feel of the mask (plus the headgear doesn't give me headaches)! Now, do I really need to be able to breathe to use it... Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Using it during the day while watching TV or reading works for many people to help overcome any anxiety. It also allows you to check different setting for effect such as pressure and leakage or trying without the ramp, etc.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 09:06 PM)Geniale Wrote: Plus, the DME didn't give me any other size to try.

A complete P10 mask should come with 3 sizes of pillows; but, the DMEs remove the two other sizes and sell them. There's only one place for those people -- a very long prison term!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 09:16 PM)justMongo Wrote: A complete P10 mask should come with 3 sizes of pillows; but, the DMEs remove the two other sizes and sell them. There's only one place for those people -- a very long prison term!

No, they didn't do that, this is just a loaner mask since my first one (Eson) didn't work out. They're lending me the masks for a week to see if they work out and which one I like best before a purchase. So, they only send me along with the pillows I was fitted with. If I do buy the mask, I'm pretty sure all sizes will be included.
(02-19-2016, 09:15 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Using it during the day while watching TV or reading works for many people to help overcome any anxiety. It also allows you to check different setting for effect such as pressure and leakage or trying without the ramp, etc.

Dude

Thanks! I tried doing that a few times. The anxiety wasn't a problem then, only when bedtime comes and I'm lying down. I thought maybe it was the lying down part, so last night I tried propping up my pillows to see if it was better - it wasn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a P10 for a few nights recently. I was experiencing the same issues you are. I finally figured out that condensation was blocking the exhaust screen. I sent it back and started using a Nuance Pro, which is working great for me.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I went with the P10, is was still better than the Pico. Last night I tried the XS cushion instead, I switched A-Flex to 3 and System One Resistance to x2 and everything was perfect, I didn't have any problem whatsoever! I haven't checked my data on SleepyHead yet, but will do so right away.

The only annoying this was that my machine was whistling all night... mostly during exhale. It seemed to come from the machine itself, not the mask. But I tried readjusting the mask, unplugging and re-plugging the hoses, removing the humidifier, checking the water level and putting it back in, turning the machine off and on, along with checking the filters and nothing helped. Any ideas on what could be causing the flute symphony and how to fix it?
(02-19-2016, 09:16 PM)justMongo Wrote: A complete P10 mask should come with 3 sizes of pillows; but, the DMEs remove the two other sizes and sell them. There's only one place for those people -- a very long prison term!

So they ended up removing the M and only giving me the S and XS. Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a newly diagnosed patient with severe OSA (AHI=45) and I experienced some of the same anxious feelings when first starting therapy. What helps me the most is to take 3 or 4 long, slow, deep breaths after I first put on the mask. After that, try (easier said than done) not to fight against the pressure. Try to breathe as normal as possible.

My A-Flex is set to 3. I tried the ramp the first few days, but like most others, I don't use it now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2016, 09:28 PM)Geniale Wrote:
(02-19-2016, 09:15 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Using it during the day while watching TV or reading works for many people to help overcome any anxiety. It also allows you to check different setting for effect such as pressure and leakage or trying without the ramp, etc.

Dude

Thanks! I tried doing that a few times. The anxiety wasn't a problem then, only when bedtime comes and I'm lying down. I thought maybe it was the lying down part, so last night I tried propping up my pillows to see if it was better - it wasn't.

For some of us, it takes more than pillows and we have to actually sleep in a recliner chair. I suppose a hospital type bed would work but I haven't been able to simulate one and remain wondering.

There is no denying that the pulmonary capacity of the human body is lessened a great deal when lying down, especially so when flat on the back (supine). Side sleeping helps lessen that somewhat.

Dude

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 213 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.