Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow Masks
Pillow Masks
I have a Fisher-Paykel Brevida Nasal Pillow Mask. I have used it 4 hours each night for 9 nights now and have not been able to sleep.  I'm feeling like the silicone pieces that go into your nose are preventing me from sleeping and plugging my nose. I have a slight deviated septum on one side and usually wore Breathe Rite strips but can't because they prevent cause leaks in the mask.  I am going to the business where I got it and trading it in.  Has anyone found the Dreamwear mask to be a better choice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow Masks
It does not matter what someone else found, it is going on your face.  I have the P10 and I am not a fan of nasal pillows.  I find a nasal mask much easier to breathe with.  I am probably in the minority here.  For me, the F&P Eson 2 is comfortable and easy to breathe and exhale with.

I also had a deviated septum wore Breathe Rite strips when I started.  I highly reccomend talking to an ENT doc about the surgery.  It had improved my breathing, day and night, more than I had expected.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Solar Rays,
I don’t know much about the mask you are wearing, but it sounds like the pillows are too small for you.
They should not be inserted too far into the nostrils, only just the tip, and should rest under the nose.

You may want to try a larger size pillow before abandoning the mask.  

The DreamWear mask seems to be a favorite with many and now comes with gel pillows.  
I personally couldn’t adapt to the DreamWare because I lay on my side, and couldn’t get it to stay in place.   But it may work fine for you.  See if your supplier will let you trial different style masks.

The thing is, there are many masks and many different face shapes...that’s why it is so hard to find the one that works best for you.

Check out our mask review section for more guidance.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airfit P10...resistance is futile. If nasal therapy works for you, this is the most minimal, quietest mask available. Consider the for her model if you have a small head.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve used the Brevida, Dreamwear, and P10s. They each have their virtues. But at the end of the day it comes down to your own best fit and sleep. The P10s are great but the straps are not well designed and they can drift off of your nose even with the clips now provided. The leak rate tends to creep up over time for me with these. The Dreamwear is the noisiest of the three and vents loudly out the front. I havent tried the pillows version of it though. It tended to send air to my eyes as well which was not good. The Brevida is my current favorite - quiet like the P10s but seals the nose better so leaks are better controlled. I use the largest version and therefore the pillows don’t plug the nose. You want the pillow to create a seal though otherwise air escapes. I suggest you put the mask on and let it run while reading until you find your comfort zone.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried nasal pillows for a month (P10). They were ALWAYS wrong. No matter what size I used. I couldn't get the air to blow from both jets up both nostrils at the same time. Only one nostril would work at any time. The other jet jetted right into an inside wall of the nose. Then I had terrible leaks.

I now am doing fine with an FFM (F10).

I do still use my P10, but just for naps, when I produce mostly sleep-wake junk; I like the P10 air for anxiety attacks too.

Other than that, I doubt that I will ever have a night-time mask that is pillows.

That's not even counting the hopeless situation with the headgear that slid all around, and I had to get it re-situated in the night. Repeatedly.

After a month, I'd had enough nightly hassles. It did take a few tries to get the right FFM, though.

Find a mask for YOU. Everyone is different. Try many.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree with Opal..pillow is probably the wrong size.  I use the Brevida and can't even feel the pillows which I could with the P10
s I used for 3 months. I switched because the P10s would leak and have to be adjusted every time I moved much.  Only two I;ve tried.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to say that if the nasal pillow mask(s) are causing you discomfort, and that changing to a larger size pillow doesn't help improve things, I'm still a fan of the DreamWear nasal cushion mask. Not only is the hose out of your face, but the nosepiece rests across the length of the bottom of your nose, over both nostrils, not one pillow in (or rather on, technically) each nostril, so I find it quite comfortable. It takes some adjusting to get it into the Goldilocks range of not too tight, not too loose, and though sometimes if sort of feels/sounds like it's leaking, Sleepyhead data confirms it isn't.

The only reason I don't use it more often is that one of the exhale ports, the one in the front, bothers my wife with the air stream, like just about every other mask there is, so when she complains about it I switch to the P10, which has exhale diffusers that don't produce such a direct air stream. But the P10 is a nasal pillow mask, so the nostril discomfort may bother you.

In the end, what I've found is the best mask for me is not one single model, but a regular rotation every 3 to 6 days among a few different masks that I like. No slight discomfort with one or another becomes permanent that way, and the variation keeps irritation at bay and allows the whole experience to be more comfortable.

But as is often mentioned, to each his own, and ultimately you have to come to your own conclusion, perhaps guided by some friendly tips, which mask -- or combination of masks -- work(s) best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.