Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow mask and teeth issues
Pillow mask and teeth issues
good day

I am not sure if this is a mask issue or total coincidence. I have now worn mask for few month++. 

Within two week one of my front teeth started hurting and I required a root canal.

Now yesterday another one started acting up. I am on antibiotics but I was told I will probably need root surgery as an implant.
I have a moustache which is very thin ,(covers up scaring from past surgery). 

Wondering if mask can cause enough pressure do to moustache to cause my issues 
The resmed straps are as loose as these non adjustables can be.

I just got used to mask and it so nice being a side sleeper do to chronic pain but the pain in wallet is now greater, lol

Almost forgot I wear a mouthguard
To prevent grinding do to pain

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow mask and teeth issues
I'm going to say total coincidence. Smile

Can you clarify what mask you are using?  The Thread title suggest a nasal pillow mask, but your profile says nasal mask?  These are two different masks.

Now if your wearing your mask too tight, that can put pressure on your upper lip and cause discomfort, but still wouldn't cause your issue. If you are a mouth breather and experience dry mouth, then over time this can cause gun disease.

The decay of ones tooth happens over time. Could be from gum disease, or an infection/abscess. If the infection reaches the pulp or root of the tooth, this usually will require a root canal procedure. I doubt your mask has much to do with that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a number of months using XPAP I noticed my top teeth moving outwards and a lot of early morning pain.  I wore a dental appliance on the lower teeth.  I thought my lower teeth were pushing against my upper teeth.

My dentist switched my appliance from the bottom to the top and gave me a light appliance for the bottom.  Basically, to equalize the upper and lower.  My teeth stopped moving, but I still had pain.  Then I raised my mask 1/4 inch higher so the bottom of my nasal cushion is right under my nose.  No more pain after that.

Was it my tongue pushing my upper teeth out or my lower teeth, I will probably never know.  But something was reacting to the device on my face.

I  didn't have any other dental problems probably because I reacted quickly and regularly saw my dentist, so had no underlying problems.

Long story to get to my point, could you be doing something similiar?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been experiencing the same thing Cpapian described. I know (for me) it's because I do the tongue suck technique, and this my tongue pushes on teeth that it's never pushed on before. I want to consult my dentist about it... I just haven't yet because he's expensive.

AFA the OP's experience... As much as I'm not one to believe many things are due to coincidence, I'm leaning toward coincidence for your teeth issues. You say the straps aren't very tight - so that leads me to think it's not being pulled tightly on your face/mouth area.
Post Reply Post Reply
If a mask is going to cause issues, it would cause looseness in the tooth. It would not cause anything that requires a root canal. That said, if a tooth is already bad, the pressure MIGHT irritate the gum which in turn irritates the tooth's nerve.

Check to ensure you are wearing the mask correctly, just to reassure yourself. Watch YouTube videos on how to fit it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a root canal done about a month after I started my therapy. Dentist suspected it was due to the dry mouth, and bacteria doing things being removed from their "usual" conditions but also said the issue had been there for ages, the cpap just bought it to the surface so to speak.

considering that was my first visit to the dentist in 10 years, i'm chalking it up to co-incidence
Post Reply Post Reply
A nasal mask that is to tight can cause tooth pain.
Best thing to do is ask your dentist if he/she thinks the mask has anything to do with what you are experiencing.
I didn't like the nasal masks as I always got pain in the gums with them by the time I managed to stop leaks.
They always cut into the bridge of the nose as well, so when I loosened it there it caused even more pain in the gums, so I gave up on them and went to nasal pillows.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 71 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  clenching teeth, biting tongue JenniferJuniper 13 282 04-15-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 220 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,012 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 574 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 246 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 151 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.