Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow mask discomfort
RE: Pillow mask discomfort
This whole petroleum based product issue seems to come down to the following specification of "INSIDE" your nose or mouth, for the Petroleum Based pneumonia issues, and I think the cpap forced air exacerbates the issues which is why there is cause for concern. As a child I used Vics Vapor Rob for many colds and still do today. However, I never really put it inside my nose or mouse. I put it on the outer edges of my nostrils so as to inhale the vapor. I think in the situation of a nasal pillow mask, putting it there then adding the pillows pushes the petroleum down into our lungs which can be unhealthy and lead to other problems.

Not having anyone lanolin, until yesterday I had been using colloidal oatmeal skin cream. I used it after I took the mask off as my nose was sore, and I used it externally on my nostrils as it helps heal the skin quickly and I don't look like rudolph the red nosed reindeer.

I have only had the P10 4-6 weeks now, and I have never experienced any issues as are described above until about two days ago when the pillows began sticking to my nostrils and causing abrasions that hurt.

I examined the mask and it seems to me that the pillows have some form of coating on them which seems to be wearing off, and that is what is causing this added new stickiness I am feeling.

I bought the Lanolin while I was out yesterday. Though as I am seeing all this INSIDE commenting I am wondering are you using the lanolin externally on your nostrils or are you actually using it inside your nose? How are you applying it? To the masks pillows? To the nose? Just wondering as I can see how it can be used as a lubricant as well as a soft seal added to the pillows depending I suppose on your application of it.

Again though for me I never noticed this adhesion issue prior to now after the pillows had worn in almost two months and I am wondering if just changing them would make the issue go away as well, as maybe they are worn, and whatever "coating" is on them is now gone. Just my thought, have not yet checked.

I do definitely agree with insertion of them while the unit is off, as well as taking them out with the unit off, this helps a lot and it feels much better.

I have found that if I hold the mask by the pillows in my hand, pull down the headgear, place the pillows where I want them in my nostrils and then pull the gear up and over this works great for me. Removal, as it just began hurting me I am going to try the other methods as suggested and report back. Till now after shutting the machine I would just hold the pillows in place while I pulled the gear up and over and then just removed the pillows. As they never stuck to me it was not a problem, but now they are sticking so I am going to wry the wiggling. I also wonder if the lanolin would help with this as it should prevent the sticking and adhesion, otherwise maybe there is a better "lubricant". I don't know, just taking in what everyone else has said and adding what I have found to try and get the best results I can.

Let me know what you do with the Lanolin though as I am interested in understanding how you guys use it.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not had the pleasure of anything sticking yet. If I wear the P10 tight enough so that it will not move, my nose is squished.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clementine, it isn't really about wearing it TIGHT to get it to not move.

I just trained myself to leave it alone and seldom "bump" it against a pillow or anything to accidentally move it.

If the pillows sit LONG enough in one spot they will adhere (maybe some special coating as Galactus mentions has to wear off but if so that disappears withing days or less for me and I never noticed it.*)

So the idea of "never moving" it gets it to stay AND adhere which is MOSTLY a good thing, except when you WANT to move or remove it.

It's never stuck very fast, light than a band-aid for certain, just mildly adhering, but definitely slightly "stuck" when worn in this manner.

BTW: Our mother DID put Vicks in our nose and on the back of our throats as children. Though I avoid internally use of petroleum products now.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Surfie: One thing about a P10 (probably any really effective pillow mask) is that it can OVERCOME some congestion.

I was an inveterate mouth breather, but took one look at the P10 and reading about it had to try it so it actually became my FIRST MASK (few people get their mask right on the "First Try". Heh Heh!)

As long as you CAN breathe some through your nose, the P10 MIGHT help KEEP your nose open during the night -- works that way for me 99.5% of the time.

That trick I mentioned of just letting air in through the nose and immediately run out your open mouth (for one or two breath holds) can help OPEN the nasal passages and get you started. I do this probably 50% of the nights when first settling to sleep.

Oh, and remember, it was basically me, as a brand newbie, who started this whole P10 craze.

Smile You guys OWE ME BIG TIME Smile
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 02:40 PM)herbm Wrote: BTW: Our mother DID put Vicks in our nose and on the back of our throats as children. Though I avoid internally use of petroleum products now.

Mine too and she also slathered it on our upper chest area and covered it with a piece of wool. It was altogether uncomfortable and disgusting. Ever after I tried to hide my cold symptoms to escape the treatment.

You mother and my mothers were mothers, does that make us related, maybe bro's?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 02:47 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 02:40 PM)herbm Wrote: BTW: Our mother DID put Vicks in our nose and on the back of our throats as children. Though I avoid internally use of petroleum products now.

Mine too and she also slathered it on our upper chest area and covered it with a piece of wool. It was altogether uncomfortable and disgusting. Ever after I tried to hide my cold symptoms to escape the treatment.

You mother and my mothers were mothers, does that make us related, maybe bro's?

Interesting, My Mother never did more than put it on my chest, on my back, wrap me up and smear some under my nose and on my nostrils. I could not even imagine having that nasty stuff slathered in my mouth or on my throat, just the thought makes me gag.

And as an aside my P10 has begun to stick, and I meant stick like almost glued to my nostrils. This morning was the worst

And you skipped over my lanolin question, please tell me how you use it, and if you do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 06:26 PM)Galactus Wrote: And you skipped over my lanolin question, please tell me how you use it, and if you do.

Geezzz, what part of "the directions are on the box" did you not understand?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 07:45 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 06:26 PM)Galactus Wrote: And you skipped over my lanolin question, please tell me how you use it, and if you do.

Geezzz, what part of "the directions are on the box" did you not understand?

You're box directions may be different than mine..... how's that?

Post Reply Post Reply
My tube or lanolin is a VERY thick paste, not really a creme.

Just get a dab on a finger or cotton swab (etc.) and gently rub it on or in your nose anywhere you have irritation or wish to prevent irritation.

It's thick enough and sticky enough you may have a little trouble spreading it and getting it to stick to your (wetter) nose instead of your bugger finger.

Just coat the area.

Another effect: It's sticky, so the pillows will STICK to it somewhat even if you don't normally find that occurring.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like I started a whole storm of comments. Last night I just took the P10 off and slept without the APAP - horrible night.

I never thought about what Herbm mentioned - it was great and will try tonight.

After reading, let me mention this;

The reason NOT to use a petroleum based product, as I recall, is that it will destroy the rubber of the pillows.

Lanolin may be difficult to find.

What about KY Jelly (no jokes please). Based on it's more common use, it would have no harming affects on rubber based products so I have to conclude, it would not harm the rubber of the pillows. OK - I cant resist it - I think it also comes in flavors.Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.