Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow straps
Pillow straps
Hi, does anybody have recommendations for fitting the pillow straps to ensure its fitted with the right tightness? Also, do you have any recommendations for pillow straps which fit nicely?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow straps
Greetings macheta,

By "pillow straps" may I assume you are meaning the straps on the head that hold the nasal pillows in place?

If so - the adjustments can be made with the help of the Respiratory Therapist (RT) or yourself or a friend or...

You could try lying down during the day and adjusting the straps, see how that feels for about 15 or so minutes, try more adjustments and see how that works for 15 or so minutes, etc.

Trying to adjust the straps while seated or standing up just doesn't work as well since the face changes shape a bit when lying down.

Hope this can help.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow straps
(12-13-2015, 04:45 PM)macheta Wrote: Hi, does anybody have recommendations for fitting the pillow straps to ensure its fitted with the right tightness? Also, do you have any recommendations for pillow straps which fit nicely?

Tight enough to not leak and loose enough to not hurt 8-) More pressure isn't better. If you need to crank the straps down, it's either not right for you or you're not wearing it correctly.

However if you don't mind me reading too much into your question, you might be having alignment problems. The nasal pillow needs to be parallel to the bottom of your nose to seal well. They'll handle some misalignment, but work best when they seat properly.

Not all pillows fit all people. Sometimes the angle is wrong or the shape or the spacing or something else, so if it's not working for you, you can check with your equipment supplier and see if they can see anything wrong (it's really an in-person kind of thing) and if they can't make it better, try a different brand or model.

For example the Resmed P10 and the Respironics Nuance are very similar but with slightly different geometry and different headgear. Lots of people love one and can't use the other.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,860 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 299 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.