Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow vs FFM, pressure conversion formula?
RE: Pillow vs FFM, pressure conversion formula?
In my discussion above I completely neglected the intentional leak rate which will screw everything up. Oh-jeez The principal is the same, but the calculations just got a whole lot more complicated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, we do not have intentional leaks in fluid and gas pipes!
Just screws everything up Unsure
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Do the mask pressure charts in sleepyhead give any clue/difference between the two different masks ? I know it is not a true reading and is calculated from the pressure at the machine but it is performing the calculation knowing the leak rate and the mask type ?

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
Haha… yeah, that's okay though, I only need an approximation - just enough to overcome the issue of needing 'permission' to adjust my own machine, which I should never have 'given up' in the first place. I really appreciate your help! The solution is close - I think I've got this!

Thank you both for the Pressure vs. Flow Rates through mask vents data! Very interesting to see the differences between the FFM and the pillows at the same pressure.

Slightly different angle:
If the pressure adjusts to my inhale, if I deliberately calm my breathing when first turning on the machine, will the forceful air back off to match my breathing? So far I've been trying to keep up with the force of the air being delivered by the machine (and not using ramp).

Quote:However I have no idea how to convert that to a pressure difference for different mask types.

I saw the formula my husband found last night. The volume of the mask type is the key; an estimate would be sufficient for my needs.

Quote:Are you in a position to ask one or the other (or their staff) if they have a standard recommendation for pressure adjustment for a mask type change?

Yes, I've been thinking of that too and have a plan. Wish me luck!

Probably the easiest fix would be to correct the mistaken impression that Dr 2 is in charge of making changes. UGH!!! Someone give me a kick in the pants, please! There has to be some way to get that turned around.
Post Reply Post Reply
The promise you made to the Doctor were based on conditions at the time. The conditions changed with the introduction of a new mask.

Based on that you can't be held accountable for a promised based on conditions that no longer exist.

Oh yeah one more thing. The Doctor works for you, you don't work for the Doctor.

That's my pep talk for the day.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
update: I put in a call to Dr 2's office. He and his assistant are out today, will be back Monday, but the phonecall went okay.

I'm starting to get depressed. This shouldn't be such a big deal. I'm mad at myself for not being able to make myself do what needs to be done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Walla Walla. We must have been writing at the same time.

I'm going to read your pep talk over and over. It does help. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 11:29 AM)kiwii Wrote: Probably the easiest fix would be to correct the mistaken impression that Dr 2 is in charge of making changes. UGH!!! Someone give me a kick in the pants, please! There has to be some way to get that turned around.

Much of this discussion is way over my head.  I have zero engineering experience even though I’ve worked with engineers most of my working career.  

Just from my own experience...I once decided to try a full face mask.  Going from nasal pillows to a FF mask required that I raise the pressure aproximately 1.5cm to be comfortable and achieve the same therapy.  It would seem logical the the reverse might apply.  You should be able to lower the pressure at the least by 1cm using nasal pillows.  I have to agree with DeepBreathing, it may be trial and error.

I don’t have much advice for your dealings with Doc #2, except that he may be the one who needs a good kick in the pants. Rolleyes

As I read your posts, it is evident that you are an intelligent person.  Just keep telling yourself that.  
Is it possible your Doctor feels threatened by you?   Some Doctors tend to feel this way and don’t want patients to take control of their therapy.

Mabye take your hubby with you to your appointment.  The doctor may not seem so threatening and overbearing then.   Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anecdotally, I agree with OpalRose.   I found, and others have reported, that a 1-2cm change is needed between full-face then nasal then pillows.  Pillows need the least pressure to function optimally, the full-face the most.  I don't think you can calculate it unless you model the interior of your respiration system.   Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, OpalRose, I just had to laugh at your comment about the doctor. Thanks, I needed that!

Quote:Is it possible your Doctor feels threatened by you?   Some Doctors tend to feel this way and don’t want patients to take control of their therapy.

That is entirely possible, but I think more from the standpoint that he groups people and data into 'trends' and does not do well with the concept of individuals (or specific data).

When I tried to talk to him about a weird problem I was having (sorry, I don't mean to be obscure), he asked if it had only happened the one time. I said that I didn't know, but I could check the charts and see.. and all hell broke loose. He adamantly does not want me looking at the charts because of a pre-conceived notion that doing so would cause me to be constantly tweaking the pressure settings. I thought we'd gotten past that notion during the first office visit and was kind of blindsided to be fielding an aggressive conversation during this particular phonecall (he's aware of the ptsd, I'd written that I was having difficulty in speaking with him because of it, but this problem had come up and I needed to speak with him - so this call was 'supposed' to have included him helping me to have a positive experience).

For him to be questioning me about the one time I am aware of the problem occurring, and then NOT taking into consideration that it could be happening without my awareness, boggles my mind.

I'd written to him and it took him a week to call me back. Meanwhile my annual physical became a visit to ask for help from my new PCP. I was hoping he might also agree to manage my xpap, but he was so surprised (in a negative way) that patients could look at their own data in SleepyHead that I didn't even ask him. He did help me get an appointment with Dr #3 though, and for that I am deeply grateful.

Sorry, I don't even remember what my point was. I really need some sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.