Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow vs FFM, pressure conversion formula?
RE: Pillow vs FFM, pressure conversion formula?
Doza, that sounds like my experience with the Swift FX too - and with the same settings (8, no ramp).

So you are saying that the P10 is gentler?
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO, yes.  The difference doesn't seem to affect my figures, though.  Both are comfy enough for me - especially since I hacked at my Swift to put a Brevida headgear on Wink  The original Swift headgear did my head in, quite literally LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad can't ask
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 11:17 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Do the mask pressure charts in sleepyhead give any clue/difference between the two different masks ? I know it is not a true reading and is calculated from the pressure at the machine but it is performing the calculation knowing the leak rate and the mask type ?

Yes, they do. However, if your EPAP is set close enough to your needed rate, the machine appears to be unable to lower below that number. Of course I don't know squat, so my interpretation is without merit. I can only say that my charts show it bottomed out at 8 for awhile, then it rises. My normal usage does not drop down to 8, but is sometimes close to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 11:36 PM)Doza Wrote: IMO, yes.  The difference doesn't seem to affect my figures, though.  Both are comfy enough for me - especially since I hacked at my Swift to put a Brevida headgear on Wink  The original Swift headgear did my head in, quite literally LOL

My new masks arrived and I'm in agreement with you. There is no question (to my mind) that the P10 is gentler. I haven't tested the Brevida yet, maybe later today or tomorrow, but I'm sure intrigued with your hack!

I decided there is no point in calculating out the differences in pressure. Between the Swift FX, ResMed AirFit P10, and the F&P Brevida, they all have differing hose diameters and lengths, corrugation that causes different turbulence, and angles of entry. The AirFit P10 is perfectly comfortable (for me) at my current settings; the Swift FX isn't.

Setting the machine 'mask type' to Pillows vs Full Face does appear to lower the pressure, as best as I can tell from a brief experiment using SleepyHead. However it also appears to be limited in ability to go below your set EPAP. Since the pressure is riding on 8, which is unusual, I'm guessing the machine's algorithm wants to go lower but cannot due to my settings.

I did a comparison of the AirFit P10 and the For Her version, and included a bit of comparison with the Swift FX, if anyone is interested. AirFit P10 Review Thread
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I did a comparison of the AirFit P10 and the For Her version, and included a bit of comparison with the Swift FX, if anyone is interested. AirFit P10 Review Thread
[url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Product-Review-Resmed-AirFit-P10?pid=235105#pid235105][/url]
It is a good point you make about making sure the Nasal Pillows are not to small, always try a size bigger.
If it is too big, go back to a smaller size.  Smaller Pillows will affect the amount of air getting into the nostrils.
Make sure if you are using Nasal Pillows that the rest on the outside of your nostrils and not go into the nostrils to make a seal.  This will restrict the airflow if they are too small.
Thanks for pointing that out, it hadn't crossed my mind.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2017, 12:12 PM)kiwii Wrote: Sad can't ask

I couldn't come at the silicone strap over the face and top of head. My hair is very short but it still pulled it. I also hated the marks it made on my face. 
So I cut the lugs off the pillow part, punched a hole and hooked in the Brevida straps.  Much better. 
And one of the cats loves playing with the silicone parts. They wobble around and he thinks that's great sport Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
You're on apap, right? Just drop the lowest setting a point or half point. If this works for you the machine will recognize that and Bob's your uncle. (sorry--everything's fine). Doing this does not put you in any danger. Your doctor broke his end of the bargain by not being available. Of course, doctors are allowed vacations just like the rest of us!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 12:47 AM)kiwii Wrote: I would be interested to read some of that anecdotal evidence but my searching is proving ineffective.

Here are a couple of the studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24532147

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27448430
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2017, 11:27 PM)Shin Ryoku Wrote: Here are a couple of the studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24532147

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27448430

Thank you!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,866 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 266 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.