Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillows and Non CPAP Strategies?
RE: Pillows and Non CPAP Strategies?
(04-18-2016, 07:33 AM)MattyG47 Wrote: Yes, sorry I am referring to regular sleeping pillows; I didn't realize there were CPAP related ones.

I am definitely a chin to chest sleeper, I will have to find a way to correct that while sleeping on my side.

I've been thinking about re-testing, because the original clinic I went to a few years ago was closed and the doctor had their license taken away. It was the discomfort of sleeping on my side with a mask, always pushed it uncomfortable to one side and sometimes lost the suction. I would be up for hours unable to sleep.

Yes, there are nasal pillow masks, so when you said pillows, that's what some may think.

If you haven't used your machine for 5 years, you will find that a lot has changed.
Especially with mask choices. I'm a side sleeper and I use a nasal pillow mask.
It doesn't move at all when I turn in my sleep.

I hope you get re-tested. A lot of us here wished we had been diagnosed at a younger age. Untreated sleep apnea will do great harm to you physically...mabye not today or tomorrow, but your overall health will decline if you continue on this road.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you could try buying 2-3 new pillows of different types and changing the type you're using every three days or so as an experiment.

Another sleep study would be a great idea if you have the means to do that.

(04-18-2016, 06:15 AM)MattyG47 Wrote: I was diagnosed with mild to moderate apnea 5+ years ago in college, tried the CPAP and had poor results. I wasnt able to sleep well with how irritating the machine was. I dumped the machine, started exercising more and my health improved greatly. Still felt sleepy but it was far more manageable.

Years later I finally got a new pillow (nothing special) and for a week or two I was waking up early, I didnt feel groggy, and I was full of energy. A few weeks later the feeling slowly faded. Got another new pillow a few months ago and felt the same feeling for about 3 or 4 days and it faded again. Is there anyone who knows why a new pillow would have such an effective yet short-term effect? Does it give any clues as to how I can mimic that effect for the long term?

Either people arent posting it or my google-fu is weak, as I cant seem to find similar stories. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MattyG47,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you can get a sleep study to see what's going on.
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that "nasal pillows" are plastic things about 2" in size, that go between the CPAP hose and your nose. They do not go under your head, and bear no resemblance to what the rest of the world calls a pillow. They are merely kinda pillowy, in a way, as opposed to "full faced mask" things, or the third alternative (nose only) "nasal mask things", for CPAP.

The sleep studies that people are advising assume that you want to go back onto CPAP. You sound rather as if you don't. We tend to think that you ought to! But then, you are on *this* forum, so ..... Wink

If you use the word CPAP and google "nasal pillow" you could find a picture.

PS your new-bed-pillow better-sleep may be related to allergies?? Maybe?
Post Reply Post Reply
I always looked at it as a firmness/height thing: the newer pillow was not yet flattened and would hold my head up and keep a good neck alignment, but once the pillow had been used a while my head would sink and go back to being problematic.

I never thought of the allergy thing, but that might explain the frequent nasal congestion too. Good idea!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 681 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.