Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea Alarm
Question 
Apnea Alarm
Machine: PRS1 AutoSV.

Although I don't have a lot of OAs while using this machine, I've had a couple of lengthy ones, cause unknown. I'll be seeing the sleep doctor fairly soon, but in the meantime I was browsing through the clinical settings and found "apnea alarm." According to the manual,

Apnea alarm
- This feature detects the cessation of spontaneous breathing. You can enable or disable the alarm by
choosing 0 (off), 10, 20, 30, or 40 seconds. The alarm will sound when the time between patient-triggered breaths is
greater or equal to the specified setting.

My question is this: Wouldn't this behavior also entail that the alarm is triggered by enough consecutive Timed Breaths, since these aren't patient-triggered? At the moment, it's turned off (set to zero). I'd set it to 40 seconds, but I don't want an alarm to wake me up when the machine is just doing its job for 40 seconds and nudging me to breathe.

That said, as I review Timed Breaths SH data, I notice that the longest duration I can find is 26 seconds, and in fact when I see TBs over 20 seconds it's almost always within a few minutes of turning the machine on, well before I fall asleep. For the rest of the night, TB intervals are almost always below 20, usually around 15 seconds. So I guess if I set the alarm to 40 there's little chance that a run of TBs will set it off.

But I thought I'd ask for clarification.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea Alarm
I've never used one of the alarm features. I do interpret the behavior the same as I perceive you do.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry a little off topic here - love your quotes mongo

I hit reply with quote - but it didn't include the 'quotes'....

Was mich nicht tötet, macht mich stärker. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Мы будем похороню тебя. - Nikita Khrushchev, 1956
μολὼν λαβέ - Leonidas at Thermopylae
If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be. - Yogi Berra

Nietzsche I got, but I don't do Cyrillic
and the rest just looked like Greek to me
- gotta love google tho' - Great quotes
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 06:55 AM)rem52 Wrote: sorry a little off topic here - love your quotes mongo

I hit reply with quote - but it didn't include the 'quotes'....

Was mich nicht tötet, macht mich stärker. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Мы будем похороню тебя. - Nikita Khrushchev, 1956
μολὼν λαβέ - Leonidas at Thermopylae
If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be. - Yogi Berra

Nietzsche I got, but I don't do Cyrillic
and the rest just looked like Greek to me
- gotta love google tho' - Great quotes

Signatures are not included when one hits the quote button.

Nikita Khrushchev said, "We will bury you." It was 1956 and the USSR had just detonated the largest Fusion bomb ever detonated. Scary times.

Leonidas at Thermopylae told the Persians: "Come and Take them," when they demanded the Greeks surrender their arms.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 07:26 AM)justMongo Wrote: Nikita Khrushchev said, "We will bury you." It was 1956 and the USSR had just detonated the largest Fusion bomb ever detonated. Scary times.

I've read that Khrushchev's statement, although correctly translated in the literal sense, would be understood in idiomatic Russian to mean "We will survive you" or outlast you; not quite as threatening as the way the translation came across. Now that I look, Wikipedia has an entry on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_will_bury_you.

As for Nietzsche, the final irony is that whatever landed him in the hospital at the end, whether syphilis or something else, neither killed him outright nor made him stronger.

Getting back to apnea alarms, I set it to 40 last night and all was well.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could set it to 9 seconds so you wake up just before the event and the result would give you an AHI of 0! (but you might be a little tired the next morning Smile )
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 08:43 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: You could set it to 9 seconds so you wake up just before the event and the result would give you an AHI of 0! (but you might be a little tired the next morning Smile )

Good idea. Don't need no stinkin' algorithm!
Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Alarm Jimboiii 1 289 12-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Pulse oximeter with alarm garyhibb 9 1,271 04-13-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: withtao
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  [Diagnosis] Alarm going off gbbarrie 3 908 11-22-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gbbarrie
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  [Equipment] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO. Leak or mask off Alarm to soft. Beekeeper Art 0 986 03-05-2022, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Beekeeper Art

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.