Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillows and Non CPAP Strategies?
Pillows and Non CPAP Strategies?
I was diagnosed with mild to moderate apnea 5+ years ago in college, tried the CPAP and had poor results. I wasnt able to sleep well with how irritating the machine was. I dumped the machine, started exercising more and my health improved greatly. Still felt sleepy but it was far more manageable.

Years later I finally got a new pillow (nothing special) and for a week or two I was waking up early, I didnt feel groggy, and I was full of energy. A few weeks later the feeling slowly faded. Got another new pillow a few months ago and felt the same feeling for about 3 or 4 days and it faded again. Is there anyone who knows why a new pillow would have such an effective yet short-term effect? Does it give any clues as to how I can mimic that effect for the long term?

Either people arent posting it or my google-fu is weak, as I cant seem to find similar stories. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillows and Non CPAP Strategies?
I have read similar stories but not for only a couple days, but a couple weeks. Are you cleaning the pillows daily?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
No, is that a normal practice? How should I go about doing that?

Come to think of it, I'm a side sleeper and I have trouble breathing through my nose, mostly because it always seems to get stuffed up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a ResMed youtube on cleaning the P10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6YkYuqqk0

EDIT: I shouldn't post this early in the morning, I assumed you were talking about nasal pillows. Sorry, ignore me.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum,
I assume you are talking about "bed" pillows, since you dumped your Cpap machine.

Your untreated apnea has probably worsened over the last 5 years, and I don't know of any pillows that will make a difference.

What were the problems you were having with the machine. Was it the mask or something else?
We all go through an adjustment period when first starting out.

You may need another sleep study to determine the severity of your apnea.

Also, if you still have your machine, what make and model is it?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day MattyG47, welcome to Apnea Board.

If I'm reading you correctly you're talking about a pillow you sleep on, not the nasal pillows mask? That's the type you should clean every day.

I wonder if you tend to sleep in a position that closes off your throat somewhat, eg chin to chest? Perhaps a brand new pillow supports your head in a different way but you fall back into the old habit after a few days?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, sorry I am referring to regular sleeping pillows; I didn't realize there were CPAP related ones.

I am definitely a chin to chest sleeper, I will have to find a way to correct that while sleeping on my side.

I've been thinking about re-testing, because the original clinic I went to a few years ago was closed and the doctor had their license taken away. It was the discomfort of sleeping on my side with a mask, always pushed it uncomfortable to one side and sometimes lost the suction. I would be up for hours unable to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 06:50 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: Here is a ResMed youtube on cleaning the P10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6YkYuqqk0

EDIT: I shouldn't post this early in the morning, I assumed you were talking about nasal pillows. Sorry, ignore me.

You just made my day. Thanks I needed a good laugh.

Coffee

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 07:33 AM)MattyG47 Wrote: I've been thinking about re-testing, because the original clinic I went to a few years ago was closed and the doctor had their license taken away. It was the discomfort of sleeping on my side with a mask, always pushed it uncomfortable to one side and sometimes lost the suction. I would be up for hours unable to sleep.

Well, I am a noob, and I use the F10 currently and I am a side sleeper who flops about a lot. My results so far are that I am, after 2 weeks, learning to manage the pillow so that it does not push on the mask when I turn. The first week I didn't sleep much, having to constantly reseat the mask to obtain seal. Now, maybe every other night I go the entire night without a major leak. It takes time to get used to it, according to everyone here.

I am going to try the P10 nasal mask to see if it leaks less, but honestly I am concerned with comfort. To me the F10 is extremely comfortable and after two weeks when I sometimes wake up and can't tell I even have it on.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 07:33 AM)MattyG47 Wrote: I am definitely a chin to chest sleeper, I will have to find a way to correct that while sleeping on my side.
Some members swear by using a soft cervical collar to prevent chin tucking. There are a few posts around on the subject.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 484 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 681 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.