Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillows for Side sleeping and CPAP mask?
Pillows for Side sleeping and CPAP mask?
I'd love to hear from those who use the memory foam, side sleeper pillows that have the indentation for the CPAP Mask. My AHI numbers are WAY lower when I can stay on my side. I use one of those contraptions (much like tennis balls on the back of my shirt) around my chest at night but even still I find myself lurching up onto my back at night or even moving the strap in my sleep to allow myself to fall on my back - so I'm looking for additional support to stay on my side. I see many options online and I'm wondering if anyone here has a favorite

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillows for Side sleeping and CPAP mask?
Hello, s&s

I'm a side sleeper also. I tried several pillows including those indent ones, but never found them comfortable. Maybe because I tend to move from one side to the other a couple of times during a night.
What I've been using for several years is the sort of boomerang shaped pillow. It's called a travel CPAP pillow on the huge-river-name website that also sells books and records, etc. At least one of the providers in the list calls it a "mini-edge" pillow. One manufacturer also has a double edge one which I've not tried.
I now use my little travel pillow on top of the indent one. It keeps my head clear from any surface that would push against my nasal pillow masks, but still provides good support for my neck.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the memory foam pillow with the side indents, which is now sitting on the floor in the corner of my bedroom. Also purchased the Mini Edge pillow and gave it to my daughter.
The problem with these pillows are that they are very hard...not firm...hard, like sleeping on a brick.
I purchased a "my pillow" and love it. You can punch an indent in the side if you want, or shape it however is comfy and it won't move.
Everyone is different. It's almost as expensive as trying different masks to see what works for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the cpap pillow with max in the name, and found it actually dislodged my mask more than a regular pillow without the cutouts. I tried it for a week and couldn't stand it, and since I love my mother in law so much I gave it her Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings sleepyandsad,

I have a foam pillow that, when looked at from the side edge, is high on the back, dipped in the middle and does a slight rise on the front that is lower than the back of the pillow. Search the web on contour pillow or neck support pillow and there loads of this type out there.

Hope you find what you need to keep you on your side(s) for sleeping.

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 for my pillow it's an excellent pillow Smile
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a review of the Contour CPAP pillow here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

I need neck support and use a feather pillow. It allows me to shape it to whatever I need, including the mask. I just make a divot for it. This worked with the FFM too. Some people sleep with their face at the edge of the pillow with the mask hanging off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,764 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 821 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 204 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.