Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillows instead of a mask? (newbie)
RE: Pillows instead of a mask? (newbie)
I had nocturia and it increased significantly in the last few years. I went from 3-5 times a night to not getting up at all and sleeping through the night. CPAP immediately cured it for me in the first few nights. There was a post when I first came onto this board that explained the whole physiology behind OSA events and how they cause nocturia. It was excellent and something I had no idea had anything to do with Sleep Apnea. I thought I was developing a weak bladder problem. My mother always had trouble with having to run to the bathroom. That commercial on TV now with the women scoping out where all the bathrooms are before shopping reminds me of my Mom. She knows where they all are. I thought I was headed down that road. I am relieved I am not.

Before CPAP, I woke up from the feeling of having to go. I was always able to void a good amount. When I get up in the morning now, with CPAP, I don't even have an immediate need to rush to the bathroom. I also notice that I don't have to go all that much during the day.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2014, 07:53 AM)allchokedup Wrote: Regarding the peeing at night, did you guys produce a lot of pee each time? Or was it just a feeling like you had to go? I thought I was finally on the right track with the OSA diagnosis, but now I'm not so sure. I have lower leg edema before bed, then it's gone (peed away?) by morning. I've seen a bunch of doctors, but no real answers yet. The nights I've worn the CPAP so far have not affected the peeing, but I haven't lasted more than 3-4 hours.

I originally thought the peeing was related to weak adrenals (low aldosterone). I couldn't even convince the dumb endo to test for it.

Need to find a smarter set of doctors.....

Thanks,
-m

Lower leg adema probably suggests fluid retention. Overnight it's getting resolved some. Probably knock off the salt and if that doesn't do it talk to the doc about a little hctz. Fluid retention can also be caused by CHF, but I imagine they have already checked into that for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2014, 07:53 AM)allchokedup Wrote: Regarding the peeing at night, did you guys produce a lot of pee each time? Or was it just a feeling like you had to go? I thought I was finally on the right track with the OSA diagnosis, but now I'm not so sure. I have lower leg edema before bed, then it's gone (peed away?) by morning. I've seen a bunch of doctors, but no real answers yet. The nights I've worn the CPAP so far have not affected the peeing, but I haven't lasted more than 3-4 hours.

I originally thought the peeing was related to weak adrenals (low aldosterone). I couldn't even convince the dumb endo to test for it.

Need to find a smarter set of doctors.....

Thanks,
-m

Wasn't a large amount for me, just normal, but was a pressing need to go. It has gone away for me since PAP. It had gotten so bad for me I would stop drinking hours before going to bed and still I'd be woken having to go, nothing had helped, but PAP did.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried Innomed but it sucked. FFMs were what I started with as a mouth breather, but they actually cut my nose off at the bridge so I worked on nasal rinses and now use a P10 and I am very happy.
Post Reply Post Reply
i use a fischer and paykel simplus full face mask, very comfortable
Post Reply Post Reply
Michael-stick with it! Getting used to sleeping with these contraptions is the hardest to overcome, unless it's getting used to the idea you need to have this in the first place. Listen to the words of wisdom on this board from members who've been at it longer than me. They know what they are talking about. You might want to try the nasal pillows. I've found they are the least intrusive of any of the offerings, and I was adamant a month ago that I would never wear any of this stuff. The changes have been subtle, but now that I am actually sleeping at night, getting up for the bathroom is almost a thing of the past. I sleep sounder, with less thrashing around, and wake up rested! I had no idea that was how things are supposed to work. And it feels good to finally feel good! Give it a little time and keep reading, and with a little trial and error, you will find something you can sleep with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rosanne..

Thanks for the pep talk. I called the medical supply place about 10 days ago asking to try a pillow-type mask. She said she'd call me the next day. Nothing yet. I'm hoping she never calls. After the experience with the full mask, I think I'd rather die....

-m
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest mistake you will make is giving up.

I was at the point of falling asleep anywhere and everywhere, this has changed my life.

Trust me, don't give up. I know we don't know each other, but really, trust me you will not regret it. I have nothing to gain by telling you this advice.

Get on the phone and keep calling till you get a mask you can sleep in, and if the dme doesn't call back call the doctor, and keep calling. You say you'd rather die (I know you are just frustrated) but the fact is this may actually save your life.

Don't give up, hang in there!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2014, 05:44 PM)Rosanne Wrote: Getting used to sleeping with these contraptions is the hardest to overcome, unless it's getting used to the idea you need to have this in the first place.

Very true, Rosanne. At first I was scared of just the idea of needing a medical device to do something as normal as sleeping. Then there was the actual practice of wearing the thing.

Now that I've got things tweaked it's my new normal. It would be just as hard if not harder to have to give up my CPAP machine. It's now the normal way of breathing while asleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2014, 06:37 PM)allchokedup Wrote: I called the medical supply place about 10 days ago asking to try a pillow-type mask. She said she'd call me the next day. Nothing yet.

You can't let them do that to you. You have to call the next day.

Quote:I'm hoping she never calls. After the experience with the full mask, I think I'd rather die....

Be careful what you wish for. Without a CPAP machine that's a wish that will come true all too soon. Be sure you have your affairs in order.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.