Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pills so I can stop napping?
Pills so I can stop napping?
Hi all, I've been doing pretty well with things in general. (I started with my cpap last July.) I was hoping it would take care of my daytime tiredness. I find I still need a nap - I set my timer for a half hour but usually turn it off and sleep another half hour. The difference is that after my nap (using my cpap) I feel rested. Before the cpap I napped a lot but would not feel rested afterwards and would want another nap later. 

I have a vacation coming up and will be with people who will want to stay active and they will not take naps. I called my sleep doctor to ask him for a prescription to take to stay awake during the daytime and said I would only use it when I felt it necessary. (I would also like it for driving distances and baby-sitting.) He said there was no medication for what I wanted. 

I'm wondering what you other sleepyheads do. Nothing, or do you use caffeine pills? Or have some of you gotten something from your doctor? I have an appointment with my internist coming up and could ask her? 

Thanks for your advice and personal experiences.

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pills so I can stop napping?
Hi there...
for a while I was using Modafinil to help with day time sleepiness...but it did not work for me. My wife who suffers from massive fatigue
takes 3 a day to get things done. I found it an ok medication with no side affects I could feel...
 good luck...I hope you find something that works for you...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried Provigil and while it worked it made me very
irritable so much so I never even finished using the
samples.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently read that Coenzyme Q10 may provide some increase in mental alertness. See what you find on Google.
Your mileage may vary.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
When I need to stave off the tired feeling, especially while driving, I use Zip-Fizz.  I usually find it at one of the warehouse stores.

It's powder that you add to a bottle of water (DO NOT add it to any carbonated liquid.  I inadvertently added it to a bottle of Diet Sprite - what a mess!  The contents shot out of the bottled and splashed against the kitchen ceiling.)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2017, 11:46 PM)PollCat Wrote: ...I inadvertently added it to a bottle of Diet Sprite - what a mess!  The contents shot out of the bottled and splashed against the kitchen ceiling.)

In Kalifornia, you would have been arrested for creating a destructive device.

@Sleepytimegal -- Coffee was my pep pill; but with age, I have to limit caffeine.

Zip Fizz has 100mg Caffeine, about that in a cup of coffee.  It may cause palpitations in some people.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I went to the store and got caffeine pills. I got very tired around 1:00 pm today and decided to take one of the pills (200 mg caffeine). It worked very well! In about a half hour I no longer felt tired and lost interest in napping. No side effects. I think I'll continue taking the caffeine pills, but not daily. Sometimes I'll nap, if time permits. But it will be great to have them when I need to stay awake (and alert) all day. I'm going on vacation next week, so they will probably be needed then, but maybe not every day. Sometimes I get through the day without getting tired. 

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='191089' dateline='1486529213']

YOU make me want to try it! that sounds like fun!

-------

When I need to stave off the tired feeling, especially while driving, I use Zip-Fizz.  I usually find it at one of the warehouse stores.

It's powder that you add to a bottle of water (DO NOT add it to any carbonated liquid.  I inadvertently added it to a bottle of Diet Sprite - what a mess!  The contents shot out of the bottled and splashed against the kitchen ceiling.)
[/quote]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,465 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,535 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Gross [CPAP] New RESMED 10 Won't Stop ddwalker 4 409 12-15-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,205 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,481 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  airmini smart stop leads to many on/off events elliotg 4 564 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.