Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pizza Face
Pizza Face
Gross problem, but I seem to be prone to acne anywhere the CPAP mask or its straps touch my head. Right now I've got some on my scalp, tip of my nose, and chin. At least I presume they are zits, as they have white heads and can be drained. When I was on a nasal pillow mask I would get them inside my nostrils.

It's not impacting my sleep but it's painful and quite unattractive.

Anyone else with this problem? I use an acne medicated face wash and Neutrogena on-the-spot for blemishes, and I'm showering a few hours before bedtime, but these zits are stubborn as hell.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pizza Face
Unfortunately it sounds like you have rather oily skin, and if so, I imagine having a warm, moist CPAP mask resting on your skin all night is probably a recipe for acne breakouts. How often do you clean all components of your mask? Usually weekly is enough for me, but if you have exceptionally oily skin, you might need to increase the frequency.

You might also consider visiting a dermatologist, as one might be able to prescribe a prescription face wash or topical medication.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might be one of those individuals who are allergic to silicone.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
So I have an allergist and a dermatologist in my future. Was probably going to see the allergist anyway about my stuffy nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I'm allowed to put brand names or links in posts, so I'll try to keep this generic: Look for first aid tape, find something made of paper with a light adhesive. It will be porous and be made for sensitive skin. It will probably come in different widths. Use scissors and cut patches to size. Stick them over sensitive areas on your face. You can double stick pieces back to back so that the adhesive doesn't touch sensitive areas, but sticks to clear skin around them. The mask and straps will touch that paper, the paper will breathe and your skin will have a chance to heal.

I had one mask that caused me a lot of problems right away, I couldn't get rid of that one fast enough. It might have had some latex in it, but all the silicone masks I've used over the years have only very infrequently caused trouble.

edit:

It appears that brand names are OK, but not a link to the mfg site?

Johnson & Johnson makes:

BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Paper Tape

I *think* this is the brand and product I use. I don't use it often, and the roll I have is over 10 years old by now. When I use it, it still works well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brand names are okay, but links to commercial sites are not. I was going to suggest a good facial cleanser like Cetaphil which is free of fragrances and is non-allergenic. For heaven's sake, if you been using Lamosil or lanolin cream, stop!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello.

I got a very sensible skin too. I learned how to cope with that.
1-Shower 2 hours before sleeping time.
2- Wipe the mask every day with disinfectant wipes. First thing after I awake.
3-Tore down the mask complete once a week and wash it with dish washer soap with a lot of water to rinse.
4- Find the perfect mask set up and never change it. Not too tight.
5-When the skin is sore or bad I use a piece of fabric (cotton) as separator between the mask and my skin.
6-Shave every day.
We are different and you must find out how to cope with this problem. Sometimes is difficult because your worst enemy are the leaks and trying to avoid skin irritation you can fall in the high leaks zone. Leaks are bad too. I tight my mask until I got a tolerable amount of leak and keep my skin in good shape. I prefer a small amount of leak but be capable of use the machine every day. At the beginning my skin was soo bad that I couldn't use the machine 2 days.
Hope the post will help you out.
Ralph

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a USB microscope (looks like a pen) and a pimple/blackhead removal tool (metal handle with a small wire loop) to unclog acne when it first starts. That way it doesn't fester large. The USB microscope really enlarges things. Gentle use of the tool leaves no scarring. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic for acne that is also really good at stopping infected pours especially after they are unclogged.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to disinfect my mask straps. Apparently not good for silicone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2016, 11:10 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: I don't think I'm allowed to put brand names or links in posts, so I'll try to keep this generic: Look for first aid tape, find something made of paper with a light adhesive. It will be porous and be made for sensitive skin. It will probably come in different widths. Use scissors and cut patches to size. Stick them over sensitive areas on your face. You can double stick pieces back to back so that the adhesive doesn't touch sensitive areas, but sticks to clear skin around them. The mask and straps will touch that paper, the paper will breathe and your skin will have a chance to heal.

I had one mask that caused me a lot of problems right away, I couldn't get rid of that one fast enough. It might have had some latex in it, but all the silicone masks I've used over the years have only very infrequently caused trouble.

edit:

It appears that brand names are OK, but not a link to the mfg site?

Johnson & Johnson makes:

BAND-AID® Brand of First Aid Products Paper Tape

I *think* this is the brand and product I use. I don't use it often, and the roll I have is over 10 years old by now. When I use it, it still works well.

Follow up: I have the 3M Micropore tape. It has a fairly agressive adhesive, though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 449 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 581 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 154 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 257 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 725 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.