Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Placement of CPAP device
Placement of CPAP device
Hi everyone!

As a total newbie and only 5 nites into treatment, can anyone tell me if the placement of the CPAP device affects it's performance?  I have the DreamStation Auto and have placed it on shelving located behind the bed.  I did this to elevate the tubing so it would be out of my way and placed the machine on a shelf 20 inches above my mattress.  This device is on loan to me for a trial basis and it occurred to me that maybe I should read the manual.  It says the device should be placed lower than the user's sleeping surface.  I have seen folks posting pix of their machines located above the bed on an RV forum I am a member of.  Is this a big no-no or no big deal?  TYIA Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Placement of CPAP device
G'day TrailerSweetheart. The first rule is to place the machine where it can't get knocked / dragged to the floor during the night. The second rule is to place it where the hose is comfortable and won't tangle you up. Third rule is - if you have a problem with condensation (rainout) - place the machine lower than your head so that any excess water will drain back to the machine, not into your mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed  ^
What DeepBreathing said..

These machines are too expensive to send them crashing to the floor when you roll over in your sleep in the middle of the night. 

I hang the towel down in front of the machine to cover the light that comes on when I switch it off in the middle of the night to go for a "wee walk" .. 
It also helps to hook the hose on the bedhead or wall when sleeping so that the arc point is higher than where your head lies on the pillow so that any condensation forms and runs back down rather than ending up in your mask as "rainout" (as DB mentioned)

[Image: 20160709_165530_resized_zpspcqdaf5i.jpg]

The nylon kitchen chopping boards have a million "other" uses  Bigwink 
A large one slipped between the mattress and bed base makes a shelf above the machine to protect it from any stray falling objects, and the small one underneath keeps it off the carpet to ensure no risk of burn marks on the carpet from the humidifier heater in the water tank. 

[Image: 20160710_095359_resized_zpsoqhpouu7.jpg]

And in among all the stresses of trying to get it all sorted and working to your own personal needs and comfort........ have some fun, and don't take it all too seriously at times. 

[Image: 20160908_100711_zpsimrhbrwa.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Two main things govern my machine placement:

I'm a pretty big mover when I sleep, and I need to place the machine where it allows me freedom to roam without waking me and where I'm not going to break it!

Secondly, my wife is a pretty light sleeper, and even though my vAuto is virtually silent, I try to minimize noise and light exposure from the screen so as not to wake her up. Waking her can be more hazardous to my health than my Apnea.

The concerns that DB brought up are also big considerations, but a heated hose can really minimize rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who would have thought a kitchen chopping board would be so useful for a number of things unrelated to the kitchen? Thanks for the idea - you're a clever person and love the funny picture. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replies! So in short, I am gathering that the placement "level" of the machine does not affect it's operating ability, correct? I have a heated hose so no rain-out issues here. The hose is up and away from me with no interference at all and lastly the machine is on a hutch shelf that has a 4 inch high lipped rim so it can't be yanked down or moved around. It is in a very out of the way and safe spot so no chance of it crashing and burning, lol! My concern was that the placement was not in compliance with the manual where they suggest bed level or lower. Assuming that the mention from the manufacturer was as a precaution to avoid a falling risk, I was worried that a higher placement may make the machine labour or work inefficiently...
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your machine is in a safe location, and having it on a shelf above the bed v on the floor shouldn't make any difference to the way it operates. One thought - is the humidifier accessible so you can easily change the water without spilling it on the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2017, 06:51 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It sounds like your machine is in a safe location, and having it on a shelf above the bed v on the floor shouldn't make any difference to the way it operates. One thought - is the humidifier accessible so you can easily change the water without spilling it on the machine?

Great, thank you!  I moved it last nite directly to behind the bed (I have a desk and hutch there) and I did not feel as comfortable with it there as it is not so out of the way Wink so I am moving it back up and away.   I am a tall girl and can easily and carefully remove the humidifier Smile Love this forum, so much helpful information from experienced folks, thank you everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2017, 09:19 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Who would have thought a kitchen chopping board would be so useful for a number of things unrelated to the kitchen?  Thanks for the idea - you're a clever person and love the funny picture.  Smile

---

I also used one inside a soft chiller lunch bag as a solid backing to mount the double socket for my home made portable CPAP battery pack.
[Image: 20170114_182311_zpshdij9kxz.jpg]

And also used them to make a solid inner panel to mount my saddlebags on my adventure touring motorbike so I can quickly fit and remove them on trips. 

[Image: 20170104_142256_zpsrgtove5u.jpg]

They can be cut, drilled, and shaped for so many purposes.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoa!  Need more info on that handy dandy battery pack operation you have.  I am an RV'er and am looking into getting an extra battery to place in the trailer to use exclusively for my DreamStation.  I am not going to buy the spendy manufacturer battery for the DreamStation and a jump box won't cut it for more than a nite or two dry camping/boondocking.  Would love to see another pic with it all setup.   May I ask why you have a double socket and how many nites can you run your cpap on the battery without recharging it? Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,037 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 364 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 355 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 3 521 10-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DavyP49

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.