Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Placement of the machine
RE: Placement of the machine
"I would expect condensation in the mask to be a problem when it's cold, rather than hot, no?"

Sure, that's what I see when the room gets really cold in winter.

With the daytime temps of 41C we leave the A/C overnight to cool the house ready for the next day.

Bedroom temps drop to around 22C to 23C and still see no mask condensation unless I turn up the humidity to greater than 3.

It's just a case of the OP trying this and then that and keeping track of what works and what doesn't.  Certainly hose position and hose cover help. 

to the OP Wally: what sort of room humidity readings are you seeing in North BNE this time of year? My bedroom relative humidity drops to around 30% with the A/C on but my Philips humidifier can increase this to around 40% which is better for dry eyes. 

I suspect if your humidity settings are at 4 or more this may be too high. If you never used it before why was it set so high? It really is a case of seeing what works for you, your mask, your environment. Maybe try 3 for a few nights then 2 and see which is better for you. No fun waking up from a deep sleep with your mask and hose gurgling at you!
Post Reply Post Reply
My bedroom Humidity hasn't been too bad, we have had a lot of rainy days this year so far. I have restarted using humidity because I started getting a dry mouth after Christmas. Humidity in the room is above 50% and below 80% overnight for the past 7 days. 
I will continue to play around with it and if I start getting rain out I will try your suggestions.

The attached picture is from a sensor in my room.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2022, 05:34 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: ...carpet lurgies.
Learned a new word today -- brilliant! (guessing from context that this might be a synonym for the American English term "dust bunnies".)
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a couple of spring loaded plastic reels, similar to the 'key leashes' that you sometimes see facilities workers, security people and others that have to haul around big rings of keys use... 
This was something I left a product review on a while back, long term I'm less thrilled with it as the springs seem to have lost most of their 'oomph' and don't keep the hose pulled up as well as I'd like...  Eventually I will probably replace them with actual key leashes which seem a lot stronger.
I have the machine on a set of shelves that we use for a bed head, which puts the top of the machine about even w/ the top of the mattress, maybe a bit below it.  The hose goes up through the two leashes and back down to the mask. 
This means that any condensation is going to run back down into the humidifier.  It also keeps the hose up off the bed so I don't end up laying on it, but lets me pull the hose out when I have to sit up to roll over. 
I think that the location of the machine matters less than having the hose go up from it so that you have a drain back loop and avoid any low spots where water can accumulate.
ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dreamstation machine lives on the floor under the edge of the bed and hose to the top of the bedhead and then hanging down to my pillow.

I've found no real difference in dust collection in the filter compared to originally having it on the bedside chest of drawers.

And with the hose up and back down again I have no "rainout" problem (the term for condensation in the mask).
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
The first 24" (61 cm) above the floor is the dirtiest air in a room. Be sure and check your CPAP filter almost daily if your machine is on the floor.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of us use a hose lift of various sorts so that the hose from the mask is routed from well above the mattress.  Here's the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/North-American-He...=8-32&th=1

Here is what I attach to the above to allow even more ease of movement.

https://pur-sleep.com/products/cozyhoze-boss#

There are lots more models to choose from.  The point is to keep the hose up off the bed.  This also helps avoid rainout, as the water would have to travel uphill to cause the rainout.  If you use a heated hose you want the hose to be at least 80F degrees.  This also helps avoid rainout.

Good luck! Shy
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
For those of you Not using a hose holder / hanger or a hose cover, they really are two of the best investments that you can make.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 12:33 PM)The Cozy "Hose Boss" is the one I mentioned above, that I am finding a bit underwhelming...  It worked well at first, but over the past year or so the springs in it have gotten tired to the point where it can no longer hold the hose up to where I have it mounted.  It never was strong enough to lift my mask, but that was OK (sort of) but now it isn\t even able to take the slack out of the hose unless I help it by lifting the hose by hand....ex-Gooserider Deborah K. Wrote: Lots of us use a hose lift of various sorts so that the hose from the mask is routed from well above the mattress.  Here's the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/North-American-He...=8-32&th=1

Here is what I attach to the above to allow even more ease of movement.

https://pur-sleep.com/products/cozyhoze-boss#

There are lots more models to choose from.  The point is to keep the hose up off the bed.  This also helps avoid rainout, as the water would have to travel uphill to cause the rainout.  If you use a heated hose you want the hose to be at least 80F degrees.  This also helps avoid rainout.

Good luck!  Shy
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made my own hose hanger. I had what I needed on hand and it turned out fine.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,358 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 3 545 10-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,866 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,342 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand alxyz 18 3,866 02-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Remember2Breathe
  Picture of proper nasal pillow placement GrammaBear 2 1,129 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Snoring Bear
  AHI and P10 hose placement Kosoku 3 1,626 05-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.