Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plane travel and the water for your CPAP
RE: Plane travel and the water for your CPAP
Some former soviet bloc countries still have the odd issue with tap water safety.  When I was peace-keeping in Bosnia in 2001, there were at least three occasions when notices were put up at our bathroom sinks by the WSPOL Techs [Water, Sanitation, Petroleum & Other Liquids] warning us not to even risk brushing our teeth with the water currently coming from the taps.  A day later, and the signs came down.  So, yes, absolutely, there are times and places where brushing teeth with tap water, or drinking it, might be very risky.  And that happens in North American, Central America, South America, Australia, Africa, and both poles as well.

We aren't talking about brushing one's teeth or about drinking the water.  We're talking about EVAPORATING it.  Any water is suitable for that purpose.  Naturally, one wouldn't put sewage water in our machines; that's a given.  But if you're worried about safety, Melman, who is a scientist dealing with biology, spelled it out rather simply in his last post.  Read it again.  I also spelled it out in my reply to Sueann.  Water molecules cannot support pathogens.  That's all you get in vapour.  Vapour is all you get when you evaporate water.  Evaporated water is safe.  

For gawd's sake, folks...use tap water.  It's FREE.  Just rinse the next morning and refill with a new supply from the tap.  Still FREE.  Still SAFE.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2019, 02:22 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Some former soviet bloc countries still have the odd issue with tap water safety.  When I was peace-keeping in Bosnia in 2001, there were at least three occasions when notices were put up at our bathroom sinks by the WSPOL Techs [Water, Sanitation, Petroleum & Other Liquids] warning us not to even risk brushing our teeth with the water currently coming from the taps.  A day later, and the signs came down.  So, yes, absolutely, there are times and places where brushing teeth with tap water, or drinking it, might be very risky.  And that happens in North American, Central America, South America, Australia, Africa, and both poles as well.

We aren't talking about brushing one's teeth or about drinking the water.  We're talking about EVAPORATING it.  Any water is suitable for that purpose.  Naturally, one wouldn't put sewage water in our machines; that's a given.  But if you're worried about safety, Melman, who is a scientist dealing with biology, spelled it out rather simply in his last post.  Read it again.  I also spelled it out in my reply to Sueann.  Water molecules cannot support pathogens.  That's all you get in vapour.  Vapour is all you get when you evaporate water.  Evaporated water is safe.  

For gawd's sake, folks...use tap water.  It's FREE.  Just rinse the next morning and refill with a new supply from the tap.  Still FREE.  Still SAFE.

Here.....here!  like
Post Reply Post Reply
You can just use bottled drinking water if you don't want to use the tap water in San Antonio. A few nights won't hurt anything. In the worst case you would have to use a little vinegar to get the tub clean when you get back home.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mesenteria,

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner.  Thank you for your explanation of why distilled water in your CPAP is unnecessary.  I now use tap water.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is wonderful information.
I use city water too. I used to use distilled water; it was costly and difficult to get where I live.

I used to use my S9 without the humidifier when I travelled (I used distilled water back then.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 33 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,736 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,315 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 615 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,187 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.