Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plane travel and the water for your CPAP
Plane travel and the water for your CPAP
Everyone,

In the past while traveling by air I have transportation available to when I get there so I can run out and get distilled water for my CPAP machine.  This time I'm taking a trip to San Antonio and I'll be riding a shuttle to a downtown hotel so running out to get some distilled water might be a challenge.  Can anyone share any method they have for carrying distilled water on the plane and not running into an issue with the TSA?  Any help will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Plane travel and the water for your CPAP
If the water out of the room's sink's tap is potable, and it certainly is, then forget distilled water; you don't need it.  Not even back home.  You fill, use overnight, discard what's left, rinse, and refill next night.  That way, you'll never have to worry about deposits.  Distilled water is as unnecessary as ozone cleaners.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Mesenteria - if the tap water is safe to drink, then it's safe to use in your CPAP. If you're in a developing country where you wouldn't drink the tap water, then use distilled if you can get it, otherwise normal bottled water.

If you live in an area of hard water (as I do) then distilled is an easy way to prevent mineral deposits - my humidifier tub is now nearly 6 years old and looks like new.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2019, 02:29 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: If you live in an area of hard water (as I do) then distilled is an easy way to prevent mineral deposits - my humidifier tub is now nearly 6 years old and looks like new.

Agreed It's convenient for those of us who are lazy about constantly keeping mineral deposits at bay.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the other hand, if you are OCD like I am, an easy alternative is purified drinking water such as Aquafina which is purified by reverse osmosis. It's easy to get anywhere and easy to travel with. I get 2 nights from a 16 oz bottle. It may be unnecessary, but if I didn't obsess about humidifier water it would just be something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me I'd just run tap water in it. Yes the possibility you may need to wash the tub from mineral deposits exists, but it shouldn't be much extra effort. Assuming the tap water is drinkable, it's also humidifier ready.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting discussion. I have always used distilled water in my CPAP machine. I now have a water softener, so I guess I don’t need to use distilled water any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
SueAnn, even if your water is hard, you can safely use tap water.  It's all treated, so it's safe from the point of view of pathogens.  It can still be quite hard, though, and would need treatment in some cases...such as demineralization via a salts-using treatment system.

The idea is that, as water evaporates, only water molecules lift off the surface.  What gets left behind, and what begins to concentrate in the remaining volume of water, are soluble and non-soluble materials.  Bug carcasses, if there were any, and sawdust, rock grit, would be insoluble and easily seen.  Salts and other chemicals would not be seen until they reach a saturation level in the water that's left and begin to precipitate.  They'll begin to form a sludge at the bottom of the tank or they'll begin to form a crust near the surface of the water, but at the walls of the retaining vessel.  This is what you don't want.

You avoid the encrustation by simply discarding the remaining water each morning, rinsing once, and then refilling for the next night's use.  Very simple, very effective.  And cheap.  like
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have made very clear, tap water is fine. I started out using distilled water, but gave it up for tap water. 

Since having done so, all has been fine. I empty my reservoir each & every morning to avoid any mineral deposit build-up.
Post Reply Post Reply
An if you do see any mineral deposit it is easily removed with vinegar.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 10 193 04-17-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 89 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,913 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 182 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 152 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 195 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.