Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plane travel with machine?
Plane travel with machine?
OK guys (and gals), I'm traveling for the first time with my machine in about 3 weeks. I have the travel bag and will have everything i need in that one bag. My question is, how do you guys bring it with you on vacation? It's kinda big to put in the luggage, so I'm assuming most take it as a carry on? If so, is it ok to run it through the X-ray machine? Do i need to tell them i have it cause its electronic? I have no idea what I'm doing!!! lol Any help will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Plane travel with machine?
pack it inside it's carrying case inside a ziploc. Don't put anything else into the case. It does not count against your carryon limit as it is medical equipment. They will want you to bring it out like a laptop, which is why the ziploc. If they manually inspect it you have the right to ask them to don fresh gloves.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always carried my machine in its own case which is about the size of a large laptop bag. I pack my machine, hose, mask, and any of the other hardware (surge protector, extension cord, etc...) in the bag along with my meds. In all my travels (domestic and international), I have NEVER had to take it out of the bag. I just put it on the belt like any other carry on. NEVER, ever allow it to go as checked baggage as it can be damaged or lost. It is a medical device and not subject to the carry on restrictions. Many of the suppliers on the list have tags you can purchase which identifies the bag as a medical device. I also carry a copy of my script in the bag just in case.

Don't know what DariaVader means by a zip lock, but in the case of my machine it would be a very large one. I don't cary any fluids in the bag and don't worry about the water. In a pinch you can always use bottled water.

Hope these help.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the info guys. Homer, when you say you put it on the belt, i assume you mean the X-ray machine belt? So it is ok for it to go through the X-ray machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Laptops, cell phones, and other electronics go through just fine. The CPAP will, too.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/...-and-apaps
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2014, 01:21 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: Don't know what DariaVader means by a zip lock, but in the case of my machine it would be a very large one.

Mine is in 2 pieces and the parts would fit in standard gallon zippies.... it is for hygiene, in case TSA wants to touch it. It is a TSA Recommendation.

If you get a TSA Precheck, I don't think you have to remove it from the bag, but otherwise you probably would just like you do with a laptop - It is really up to the airport and might be different on different days and places. I am going to be putting all this to the test this weekend myself. sigh.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, they say it can be in a plastic bag. They can remove it if they choose to swipe it for explosive contaminants. The bags just help keep it clean.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
thank you guys and gals!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I hauled mine to Europe on a cruise and also to Russia on a cruise. I think we went through airports in Minneapolis, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, St. Petersburg and Seattle. The only place I was asked to open the bag was in Seattle, coming back into the U.S. CPAP machines seem to be recognized by security all over the world.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2014, 01:45 PM)vig1116 Wrote: thanks for the info guys. Homer, when you say you put it on the belt, i assume you mean the X-ray machine belt? So it is ok for it to go through the X-ray machine?

I was referring to the X-ray belt. Never had any issues with it going through the x-ray. I never saw any restrictions on not passing it through the system.

As to the ziplocks, that is new to me. Personally, I don't like taking my machine apart unless I have to. Just something else to break and it takes a little bit of work to take mine apart.

BTW, some of the airports I have travelled through are Boston, Phoenix, Tucson, Providence, Orlando, Las Vegas,Montreal, and Toronto to name a few.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,673 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 457 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 776 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.