Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plane travel with machine?
RE: Plane travel with machine?
And if you are not travelling for long and want to take distilled water with you, it is exempt (per CASA and TSA) from the liquid limits as long as it is for medical use like for a CPAP machine. For my business trips (2-3 days), I get a couple of larger medicine bottles from the pharmacy and either label them myself or have the pharmacy put "Distilled Water" labels on them. These I place in a large ziploc as well (don't want them leaking into the machine with the pressure change). When I start unloading, I declare them to the security screener (along with the CPAP)...they will typically swab the outside of the bottles to check for explosives, but otherwise I've never had any issues in travelling with my CPAP by air.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2014, 01:21 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I have always carried my machine in its own case which is about the size of a large laptop bag. I pack my machine, hose, mask, and any of the other hardware (surge protector, extension cord, etc...) in the bag along with my meds. In all my travels (domestic and international), I have NEVER had to take it out of the bag. I just put it on the belt like any other carry on. NEVER, ever allow it to go as checked baggage as it can be damaged or lost. It is a medical device and not subject to the carry on restrictions. Many of the suppliers on the list have tags you can purchase which identifies the bag as a medical device. I also carry a copy of my script in the bag just in case.

Don't know what DariaVader means by a zip lock, but in the case of my machine it would be a very large one. I don't cary any fluids in the bag and don't worry about the water. In a pinch you can always use bottled water.

Hope these help

Homer

LOL I guess you never flew out of Colorado Springs, Co!! Even in the TSA pre approval line where the cpap does not have to be taken out of the case they stopped me!
Even when they ask you to remove the cpap it is no big deal. Just the motor part.
Post Reply Post Reply
I highly recommend including everything you need in the bag along with the CPAP machine, including sleep meds. That way if you get stranded somewhere you can at least have CPAP therapy while you sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ugh. wish I had taken my own advice and put the cpap into ziplocks... the tsa agent that looked at my passport said just need to open the bag, but then the one at the conveyor belt grabbed it with his grubby hands and threw it into a dirty bin before I could even open my mouth eeew

Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion then is to not lick the machine prior to use. It's a bad habit, really.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I'm on a trip right now and had no problem going through security with my machine in my carry on bag. Everything I have heard recommends carrying the machine because of possible rough handling by the checked baggage systems. I did pack the mask and hose and power supply in my checked bag and carefully wrapped the mask (nasal) with soft clothes to protect its fairly fragile spindly structure (I removed the soft components from the frame first and put those in a little box).

Hope this helps

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with splitting up your CPAP gear is what would you do if your luggage was lost? Your machine is useless without its other components.

Unless your mask is bulky and difficult to pack in the bag, it is best to keep it all together
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
And carry an extra mask and hose in your luggage. They don't take up any room.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I've taken extra pillows but never an extra mask. Never had one. Nor an extra hose. And after that stinky hotel a few years ago, I now take extra filters but they fit in the bag easy.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,734 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 457 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,163 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 777 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.