Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Advice
Please Advice
Hi All ,

Although I am using pressure 12 , the events is very high , does this mean that the CPAP machine is not suitable to my case ?? is there is anything I can try to minimize that rate ??

I am attaching here the screenshot of my events and summary , Please help as I am So worried now

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please Advice
Nothing to worry about, AHI 5 and under is normal with treatment
In time, every thing should fall into place

If your S9 is an AutoSet, you might want utilize AutoSet mode, so the machine can go bit higher whenever needed
Otherwise if not, I would raise the set pressure a tad, sometimes its all that needed
BTW, leak rate is extremely good, whats your secret
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk . But the events always are between 11 and 17 . Sorry what is the pressure tad ?

I am using F&P simples , I think this mask is fine with my face
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mkamalmohamed. I agree with Zonk - your numbers look good.

Quote: But the events always are between 11 and 17 .

Those numbers are the duration of the apneas, between 10 and 17 seconds. They will always be at least 10 seconds, otherwise they don't count as an apnea. I wouldn't be worried by those numbers at all. The number Zonk is referring to is the AHI (apnoea hypopnea index) which is the average number of events per hour. In your case the AHI is 2.5, which is well below the threshold of 5.

Quote:Sorry what is the pressure tad ?

"Tad" is a word we use in Australia (and possibly elsewhere). It just means "a little bit". So raising your pressure a tad means to increase it a little bit, maybe raise it from 12 to 13 cm and see how that goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2015, 05:15 AM)mkamalmohamed Wrote: Hi All ,

Although I am using pressure 12 , the events is very high , does this mean that the CPAP machine is not suitable to my case ?? is there is anything I can try to minimize that rate ??

I am attaching here the screenshot of my events and summary , Please help as I am So worried now

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you are experiencing all central apneas and some hypopnea. Your problem may not respond to pressure, and I would not suggest you change the pressure based on these results, particularly based on 6-hours of therapy. The events appear to be of short duration and are spaced apart so they should not cause any concern. To me, it looks like typical respiratory disruption from not being accustomed to CPAP and could be what we sometimes call sleep-wake junk. The lack of obstructive apneas indicates good treatment.

What were the results of your titration? Is there a reason you are using the CPAP mode rather than a range in auto. Why not using EPR?

I recommend you consider using the Sleepyhead software as it lets you examine these events individually and make some better judgements, but these results should not be a big concern to you starting out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2015, 08:25 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If I'm interpreting this correctly, you are experiencing all central apneas and some hypopnea. Your problem may not respond to pressure, and I would not suggest you change the pressure based on these results, particularly based on 6-hours of therapy. The events appear to be of short duration and are spaced apart so they should not cause any concern. To me, it looks like typical respiratory disruption from not being accustomed to CPAP and could be what we sometimes call sleep-wake junk. The lack of obstructive apneas indicates good treatment.

Correction, the events are almost all obstructive apneas but not really enough of them to worry about. I agree with Zonk. It would be helpful to us if you could identify the exact model of the S9 that you have. The model name is right above the start button. It should be something like Autoset, Elite, Escape, VPAP S, or VPAP Auto.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
What I see is this: Your AHI number is fine. But your flow limit chart is not good. That indicates that a lot of improvement can be made even though you are fine overall. It might be that if you increase your pressure by 1 that will do it. On the other hand it might be that if you went to a pillows style mask you would see a lot of improvement with no increase in pressure, and maybe a decrease.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thank you all for your replay , please note the following

1 - My Model number is Resmed S9 Elite , I don't use the EPR because it is bothering me !! , ( But if you confirmed that it will enhance anything I can try to enable it again and see ) .

2- What about the Flow limitation is there is anything to improve it ,
as it is always with a high rates .

3- The attached screenshot is almost the result on the same 30 days , in specific word ( Plus or minus a little bit ) .
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike AutoSet, S9 Elite is a fixed pressure machine, cannot increase pressure in response to snoring, flow limitation, and apnea

EPR is comfort feature, some people like myself loathe it, while others love it and for them, the best thing since sliced bread
For some can increase AHI and for others have no effect
Try it and makeup your own mind, everyone is different

Flow limitation is partial airways obstruction, again the AutoSet take action early enough by small pressure increase in response to snoring and flow limitation in order to prevent an apnea from happening. Both snoring and flow imitation are signs of obstructive apnea, not central apnea
AutoSet is a clever little machine, can distinguish whether apnea is obstructive or central and respond accordingly

Your numbers looks good, you can do nothing or increase pressure by a small increment, something like, 11 to 11.4 and keep monitoring
Don't make too many changes, too fast and too soon, otherwise you would not know what works and what not

AHI is just one parameter, more important is "how you feel" and don't judge "how you feel" by AHI, again AHI 5 or below is effective treatment

Not possible having AHI zero, night after night, more chance winning Lotto

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you feel rested? Do you feel good during the day?

Your AHI is actually great. Wish mine was that low.

Some things for you to read:
Acronyms/abbreviations - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
Glossary - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions
http://www.ucmc150.uchicago.edu/sleep/terms.html
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 257 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 787 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.