Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Help
Please Help
just had this variable pressure machine since friday, had a fixed pressure for 7 years last set at 17cm with a 5 minute ramp.

The default ramp on this is set at 4 which is too low, im falling asleep and waking straight up choking. In the night I'm awaking from dreams with a massive gasp then breathless for 1-2 minutes and ive had a sickening headache for 3 days now. (These were by pre cpap symptoms).

I dont know if the top pressure is capped or if the machine is too slow to respond. 

I need to adjust the setting to manage until i go back to the sleep clinic on friday, traveling with work and cant get there any sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please Help

• Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try and swap it for a full auto, if you are self or insurance funded. if it's free from NHS, see if you can pay the difference.
the model you have has a 30 day auto and then goes to fixed pressure.
If you were fixed 17cm, I would start at 12 min and max 20. and then set the min to the median cm from your machine display or sleepyhead sd card program, as the adjustment progresses. you can get the clinical settings manual from the top of the page here.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much, that should give me a better sleep tonight. 

I can research it more tomorrow once ive sleptSmile)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shotgunchewy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with getting your machine fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The PRS1 60 Series Auto like all Philips auto CPAP machines are slow to rise to therapy pressure, especially if left at the defaults. Here are the instructions to reach the clinical menu http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions . You should be able to start ramp at a minimum pressure that is comfortable, and for 5-minute duration. I agree with ajack that a minimum CPAP pressure of 12 and maximum at 20 should be reasonably responsive to your needs, but you may need to increase minimum pressure if you have obstructive events. That will certainly get you going.

That machine is easy to work with and will do a great job. I have the 760 BiPAP and have had a 560 in the past. It will be a huge comfort improvement over your old fixed pressure, M-series?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't expecting the machine change and then was just naive that i would just seemlessly transition to it.
Then I was too shattered after 2 bad nights to work it out for myself. The pointer to the setting manual was brilliant, I turned the min to 12 with a 5 min ramp. turned the flex from 3 to 2 and as soon as I put it on, it felt better. Slept really well, woke feeling rested, no headache and have had a really good day.

My Sleep clinic mean well but they always seem to underestimate the settings and how bad the symptoms are when its not right. Always had to tweak my old machine Resmed.

So Thank you for the response's. I'll read a lot of posts, look into software to see if would benefit from it and possibly fine tune the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.