Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Help, I'm in the dark??
Please Help, I'm in the dark??
Hello, Good Evening, I'm a new member here.

I have recently been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and the doctor gave me a nasal mask and said i would receive a machine shortly, which i did, he also said he would see me again in three months.

I now have a mask and a machine which i have now used for 3 nights but i really have no clue what i'm meant to be doing etc

The machine says 4.0 when i switch it on but it feels like its blowing hard.

Are there any tips or tricks that anyone can recommend

Many Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please Help, I'm in the dark??
Hey nick.walton1 welcome to the forum! You will find lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here, you came to the right place. I'm just a newbie like you so I just wanted to say hi and welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks cate1898 and hello
Post Reply Post Reply
Which PR system one machine did you receive? This Page can help you identify it.

You might try using the CPAP while you are awake and relaxing so that you become accustomed to it.

If you install SleepyHead software - assuming you have a data capable machine - you can see detailed information about your breathing while you slept. If your machine is an auto - and I am assuming it is since the pressure you see is 4 and that is the default low pressure, then you will be able to see if you are having events and if your pressure is going up while you sleep.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2015, 03:05 PM)nick.walton1 Wrote: Hello, Good Evening, I'm a new member here.

I have recently been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and the doctor gave me a nasal mask and said i would receive a machine shortly, which i did, he also said he would see me again in three months.

I now have a mask and a machine which i have now used for 3 nights but i really have no clue what i'm meant to be doing etc

The machine says 4.0 when i switch it on but it feels like its blowing hard.

Are there any tips or tricks that anyone can recommend

Many Thanks
4 could be the staring Ramp pressure, when Ramp period is over, pressure increase to the set pressure
Remove the water tank from your CPAP machine before turning the machine over or moving it.
[Image: PR-model-1.jpg]

I'm hoping the doctor ordered a data capable machine so he have something to check at the next visit, an auto is even better, gives a choice of fixed pressure or auto adjusting variable pressures

Next, you'll need to know about your machine and how it works, the clinical manual is your best friend, available via email (scroll down to section three http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Machine setup pictures and educational video http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions

As for tips, keep trying different masks and sizes, until you find one you like, feel comfortable with a good seal, the right mask is the most important for effective treatment. Doctors are not best people to do mask fittings, does the doctor also run DME business or have people can help you with masks
Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome from another newbie! Here, not to apnea. Been on a machine since 2007, BUT, I learned more here in a month than the last 8 years just "using" my machine. It was doing its job, but now I'm in sleep heaven. This forum did it for me.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Read read read and read some more. Explore this forum and post your questions. Post details of your machine and someone on the forum will help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nick.walton1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forums. The best piece of advice I can give you as a fellow newbie is read as much as you can. Learn your machine and how to access the admin menu so that you can make adjustments when you want to in an attempt to get a better night's sleep. I was having difficulty with a standard pressure range, but my doctor put me on auto and that has helped. I have also made a few adjustments myself which seem to help as well, but I am still trying to dial mine in to get my AHI's consistently below 5. Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Really new, left in dark by doctors ConorRyan2612 18 1,696 11-26-2021, 10:01 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Self Diagnosis and stumbling in the dark Strawman 23 2,300 10-02-2020, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Canuck 2
  Putting ResMed Air Fit P10 on in the dark Sultec 9 1,463 06-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Last Post: NotADr
  Cleaning the Dreamstation reusable dark blue filter KCap 5 13,682 01-10-2017, 04:20 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  In Praise of a Dark Hand Towel Dennis of the NorthWet 5 4,162 11-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Last Post: tzk321
  dark blips on waveforms Inspired 3 1,348 03-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Inspired
  Years later and still in the dark RandMan 32 6,465 12-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Last Post: DariaVader

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.