Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Help [My S9 is malfunctioning]
Please Help [My S9 is malfunctioning]
Hi, 
I am new here - have a major problem - my resmed s9 seems to be malfunctioning? It is ramping very slowly even when I change the ramp settings, but the big problem is when I put on the mask  after it starts- within about 10 seconds after I strap on the mask and inhale several times the machine starts pulsating very very rapidly and it starts to suffocate me as I can't keep up with the breaths and it feels like it is pulling the air from my lungs.

I have unplugged the unit for several hours (12) and replaced the heated humidifier hose, changed the air filer and new mask - full face to no avail.

I am in a pickle because I just got approved for a new machine and in the process of getting it ordered and set up and the insurance company and the medical supply store say they cannot give me a replacement or perform any work on the current unit.

Anyone ever hear of this problem?

this is the current machine that I have 

I haven't slept in 3 nights and feel like going to the hospital but they don't have machines there.

I found this link and have printed it for my unit and hopefully some answers are in here that can help.

thank you in advance for any and all replies.

it won't let me post links to my machine

S9 AutoSetTM with H5iTM humidifier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: please help
I have also cleaned the unit intake and outtake for the hoses and connecting portions of the machine
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible that your power brick is dying. Or, your machine is near end-of-life.
How long have you had your S9 Autoset.

p.s. -- no need to post photos of your machine. It's well known on the forum.
And, we restrict new members from posting links to stop SPAM.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jason. Welcome.

The problem you are describing may have a couple different causes. First to access the ramp settings you should just turn ramp off, or start ramp at a higher pressure. You can get a setup manual and learn how to access the clinician menus on your machine by following the link to CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page.

The feeling of air pulsing, is probably the Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) used by Resmed to determine whether an apnea is obstructive or clear airway. Some people have reported a sensitivity to that pressure pulse. We have also had members complain of a feeling of the air being sucked out of the mask. The mask is always under pressure when the machine is on. Since you're awake when this occurs, you should be able to simply breathe. Pull the mask away from your face. Do you feel airflow? If not then the machine has seriously malfunctioned.

If you have used this machine in the past and it is behaving differently than you are accustomed, or is actually malfunctioning, then cleaning is not likely to help. Do you feel positive air flow when you remove the mask or pull it away from your face? If you cannot get the dispensing of a new machine expedited, you may want to check your local Craigslist to see if a cheap machine can be acquired until your new one is dispensed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you both for the rapid replies.

Posted by justMongo - 11 minutes ago
It's possible that your power brick is dying. Or, your machine is near end-of-life.
How long have you had your S9 Autoset.

Are you referring to the power cord brick? I noticed it gets or was getting very hot for awhile now.
also i will check the connections to the power cord as well.
For the past few months I have awakened every once in a while and the machine has shut off was thinking the same thing that it is old- 2013 is when I got it.
thank you again for the posts I appreciate the help.

Posted by Sleeprider - 1 minute ago
The problem you are describing may have a couple different causes. First to access the ramp settings you should just turn ramp off, or start ramp at a higher pressure. You can get a setup manual and learn how to access the clinician menus on your machine by following the link to CPAP Setup Manuals at the top of this page. 

The feeling of air pulsing, is probably the Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) used by Resmed to determine whether an apnea is obstructive or clear airway. Some people have reported a sensitivity to that pressure pulse. We have also had members complain of a feeling of the air being sucked out of the mask. The mask is always under pressure when the machine is on. Since you're awake when this occurs, you should be able to simply breathe. Pull the mask away from your face. Do you feel airflow? If not then the machine has seriously malfunctioned.

If you have used this machine in the past and it is behaving differently than you are accustomed, or is actually malfunctioning, then cleaning is not likely to help. Do you feel positive air flow when you remove the mask or pull it away from your face? If you cannot get the dispensing of a new machine expedited, you may want to check your local Craigslist to see if a cheap machine can be acquired until your new one is dispensed

Yes the air flow from the CPAP blows at the full force when off my face, i have always felt a small suction on the exhale, but after 10 seconds it starts activating I guess what you describe as the (FOT) very rapidly and it's like almost hyper ventilating for me to breathe with the mask on, when I pull it off it is blowing in full force. I fear that as you both mentioned it may be malfunctioning in that way.
I do have an older ResMed from 2008 (will look for model number), that blows continuously - hard to breathe against, I fear though that the hoses and water chamber are going to be hard to find for this one, but will look. I religiously use my CPAP even for naps as sleep deprivation severely affects my lifestyle as everyone here knows without fail.

the medical supply company is supposedly rushing my order and set up but will see how long that takes, in the mean time I have found several units on EBAY and will look on craigslist.

thanks again for the help, now that I have found this site I am going to start reading and learning more on the topics i have always been interested in - best cleaning agents, lubrication for masks, treatments and settings for dry mouth etc. and see if I can help others as well
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you're having sleep transition central apnea events. The machine is working properly to test the apnea type by using FOT, and the pressure is apparently high enough to cause a high flow of air.

Your profile shows you have a S9 CPAP. Can you determine if the model is Escape, Elite or Autoset?
Do you know what machine is being dispensed to replace it? You should be trying to get an auto CPAP so you can get some relief from the very high pressure you are using.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My old unit from 2008 is a REMStar M series ...wish me luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
AirSense™ 10 CPAP is the one I am getting according to the supply store.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you can set the pressures on the old Remstar M series, but probably cannot see any data.  I don't think that version tries to aid your breathing by having a pressure shift between inhale and exhale.  That may be just fine for the near term.

You said "wish me luck"

Good Luck!

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2017, 01:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It sounds like you're having sleep transition central apnea events.  The machine is working properly to test the apnea type by using FOT, and the pressure is apparently high enough to cause a high flow of air.  

Your profile shows you have a S9 CPAP.  Can you determine if the model is Escape, Elite or Autoset?
Do you know what machine is being dispensed to replace it?  You should be trying to get an auto CPAP so you can get some relief from the very high pressure you are using.

I will check tonight when I get home to see if it's autoset or elite
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine malfunctioning? m44kohler 6 1,305 03-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Help with Malfunctioning Sleepyhead Graph bonesmurones 4 1,534 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Is my Dreamstation malfunctioning? hs8738 20 8,572 03-31-2016, 02:12 AM
Last Post: keys
  Is my S9 Autoset Malfunctioning? Taxman Derek 3 3,191 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.