Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please! Help me set up my machine...
Please! Help me set up my machine...
I pray I am asking this in the right area and the correct people are looking at the right time. I have been dealing with horrible sleep issues for over 8 years and have finally decided that a sleep study is extremely necessary. I am currently waiting for my next appointment but in the meantime I was able to score a CPAP machine while I wait. I know it's probably not recommended but at this point I am begging you all to help as I am so tired of being tired I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. Hence why I've done this on my own.

I have a Respironics REMstar Auto M Series A-Flex and simply want someone to give me the basics of what to set Min/Max etc. on it to try it out tonight. Could someone PLEASE just write back and tell me what a somewhat common initial set up would be STAT wise to go off of? Not sure if this matters but I'm 6' and 345. I am very thick overall and carry a large amount of muscle along with fat on my frame. I am praying someone sees this and writes back tonight. It is 12:10am EST CURRENTLY. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please! Help me set up my machine...
DIY titration with an APAP machine usually means setting the pressures wide open, which would be minimum pressure 4 and maximum pressure 20. Click the "CPAP Setup Manuals" link above for directions to set up the pressures (in Section 1).

That said, the M series APAP is not the best choice for DIY titration. The idea in starting with wide open pressures is to allow the pressure to auto-adjust and then over time narrow the pressure range based on the therapy data recorded by the machine. You would need Encore software and a Smart card reader. The machine's display shows very limited data -- enough perhaps once your therapy is dialed in, but not great for close examination and titration.

Any chance you could get hold of a PR 550 or 560, or a ResMed S9 Autoset? With those models you can use SleepyHead software and if your computer doesn't have a built-in SD card reader you can get one easily and cheaply.

Post Reply Post Reply
Take this as advise from a pap user not a doctor. But.
Set the min pressure so you feel you arent smothered and getting enough air flow.
Probably six to eight.
Id ceiling the max at 16 if it were me until i got a titration since you cant see data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Abhorthesnore,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
I wish you much success with getting this set up so you can use it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ghost, like I said its late here and telling me what I should get, etc.does me no good in the now. Your answer of at least giving me min and max helps greatly. I've set it up and am going to try and try and give it a shot. I'm usually a very detailed, but the right model kind of guy. Due to the situation I've had to give it the old,"wing and a prayer routine," for now. Prob will learn the hard way but I'm at least being proactive while the VA schedules the schedule for scheduling my schedule. For $75 this, like new, machine at least will give me hope and keep me occupied for now. Wish me luck, I'm going in...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 12:42 AM)Abhorthesnore Wrote: ... telling me what I should get, etc.does me no good in the now.

But it could help you tomorow and in the coming days and weeks if you have a long wait for your VA appointment.

Having access to good data is very important when you haven't had a diagnostic sleep study. While most folks with sleep apnea do have garden-variety obstructive sleep apnea that can be treated with CPAP (or APAP), sometimes it's more complicated than that. I'm glad you have a machine to try out for the time being but also wanted you to be aware of its limits and some possible ways to deal with it.

We support people taking therapy into their own hands and we want them to do it as safely as possible. That's why we sometimes go beyond the "right this minute" question and provide additional relevant information. And most folks actually appreciate it. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 12:42 AM)Abhorthesnore Wrote: Thanks Ghost, like I said its late here and telling me what I should get, etc.does me no good in the now. Your answer of at least giving me min and max helps greatly. I've set it up and am going to try and try and give it a shot. I'm usually a very detailed, but the right model kind of guy. Due to the situation I've had to give it the old,"wing and a prayer routine," for now. Prob will learn the hard way but I'm at least being proactive while the VA schedules the schedule for scheduling my schedule. For $75 this, like new, machine at least will give me hope and keep me occupied for now. Wish me luck, I'm going in...

Abhorthesnore,
I understand completely the waiting game, and don't see anything wrong with trying out this used machine until your sleep study. But please check back here and let us know how your night went.

I would have suggested pressure range similar to what Ghost did. I am curious though....what mask did you use? That could be more problematic than the machine itself.

Hope you had a restful night, and let us know when you have your sleep study.

Don't want to get too far ahead of the game, but be sure to read a lot here, and start checking on the various machines available.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The M-Series Auto does produce data, but you need a Smartcard Reader like the Mako DT-3500. Not many available unfortunately.

Hope the first night went well. You will be able to read the display to at least get your AHI for the night. For self-titration, Ghost's advise was very good. Find a comfortable minimum pressure and let the machine work from there. The most challenging thing in the long run will be to find a comfortable mask interface that does not leak.

Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night was not as successful as I had hoped. I still woke up about every two hours and am quite tired today. Girlfriend noticed less snoring but far from the sometimes amazing stories I've heard and hoped for thus far. Trying night #2 now...
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Abhorthesnore, welcome to Apnea Board.

(08-28-2015, 11:14 PM)Abhorthesnore Wrote: So last night was not as successful as I had hoped. I still woke up about every two hours and am quite tired today. Girlfriend noticed less snoring but far from the sometimes amazing stories I've heard and hoped for thus far. Trying night #2 now...

Expectations need to be realistic. Even under the best circumstances, CPAP isn't an instant fix for most people. If I can draw an analogy - if you went to a pharmacist and got some random antibiotic without knowing the precise type or dosage then it wouldn't be surprising if your infection wasn't suddenly cured. Likewise with sleep apnea.

The fact that you had less snoring is an indication that the machine is starting to do you some good, but you really need to get the diagnosis, prescription and dosage all sorted before you can expect a real improvement. Once you have your sleep test and prescription (and as others have said - get a data capable machine) then you are much more likely to experience a big change in your condition.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.