Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Sleep apnea device may not cure daytime sleepiness

(Reuters Health) - Many people who suffer from sleep apnea continue to suffer excessive daytime sleepiness despite standard treatment with continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP.

Sleep apnea occurs when the soft tissues at the back of the throat temporarily collapse during sleep, causing repeated breathing interruptions. Major symptoms include loud snoring and daytime sleepiness -- the latter of which, studies show, may cause irritability, cloud thinking and concentration, or increase the risk of traffic accidents.

CPAP treatment involves wearing a special face mask that delivers pressurized air to keep the airways open overnight.

In a study of 502 patients from 37 sleep centers who were using CPAP, researchers found that 6 percent continued to experience excessive daytime sleepiness.

"In France alone," study leader Dr. J-L. Pepin, from CHU de Grenoble, France, said in a statement, "we have 230,000 patients using CPAP. We calculate that at least 13,800 of those have residual daytime sleepiness."

Pepin and colleagues report their findings in the European Respiratory Journal for May.

On initial analysis, 12 percent of patients had residual excessive sleepiness at 1 year, but after adjusting for possible confounding factors, including restless leg syndrome, depression, and narcolepsy, the prevalence of residual excessive sleepiness fell to 6 percent.

Daytime sleepiness was associated with reduced quality of life. According to the investigators, subjects with this problem showed poorer emotional health and less energy than did their peers who responded completely to CPAP therapy and did not report being sleepy during the daytime.

SOURCE: European Respiratory Journal, May 2009.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
I was one of those for whom CPAP did not cure my EDS. I had an MSLT to determine it was hypersomnia rather than naorclepsy. I took Provigil or Nuvigil for four years until over the course of a couple of weeks I found I didn't need the medicine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 97 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 176 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,749 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  [Treatment] Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted iamverysleepy 2 673 10-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: iamverysleepy
  Excessive CA Events JoeS01 30 1,841 10-15-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JoeS01
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,073 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub
  Excessive air leak? JoeS01 3 440 09-21-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.