Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Help
RE: Please Help
(05-03-2012, 03:00 PM)Not Sleeping Well Wrote:
(05-03-2012, 02:39 PM)CHanlon Wrote: I don't know of anyone that's every gotten off CPAP once they've been diagnosed. And in your case, where your job is involved, I'd say that isn't going to happen, unless you can present them a sleep study that shows you're below the AHI horizon for treatment.
Does anybody have any methods for not having high anxiety considering the sleep tests? I sometimes wonder if I could have a study done while getting my normal sleep if I wouldn't do significantly better. Instead I go and have some of the most vivid nightmares of my life. I'm thinking on my next sleep study, I'll ask for a home study. Thoughts?

Yeah, if you can get a home study done that would help. I think everyone has their worst possible sleep experience in their sleep labs - there's just no way to sleep comfortably in a strange environment, with 9 bazillion wires attached to you... *and* while worrying about whether or not you'll sleep enough, or normally enough, during the test. Yeah, no pressure on getting a good night sleep like being worried about getting a good night sleep, is there?

At least you're not like me - I have a phobic fear of hospitals. I don't eve like going into one to visit people, the month my daughter spent in one when she was born 2 months premature nearly killed me. :-P Any time my wife is in one, she sends me home after about a half hour... she can't handle me sitting there and twitching.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sleep lab I went to allowed me to come in at 11pm since I am a night owl. It was probably midnight by the time I laid down.

There's several threads on home studies.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...leep-on-it
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep lab did require I show up at 7pm, for "orientation", but the sleep tech immediately inquired as to my sleep habits, and did not even try to wire me up until 10:45pm. We tried on masks, then I watched the TV orientation, and finally read my Nook until required to bring my mind back to mother Earth! I believe you can ask ahead and many labs will do as they did for Paula, or so I am told.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
The techs told me they even do tests during the day for those who work at night. I know when the sleep doc took me on a tour, we had to be quiet because there were people there.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sleeping well....
I'm getting the feeling, as I read down thru your posts, that you think or hope that the CPAP will "cure" your apnea malady. The CPAP is a on-going and constant "therapy" and not a "cure". Even with your commendable weight loss, I don;t think you are going to beat the necessary CPAP therapy.
After over 7 months of CPAP usage, it appears that the prescribed pressure of 11-cmH2O; (as determined by a certified sleep lab; and a certified sleep PhysicianWink has resulted in a marvelous (and very enviable) AHI of .5. Why not enjoy the "fruits of your labor" and leave things be. With your present AHI of .5, you may never need another sleep test, which has put so much stress in your life.
The Physician's nurse has basicly given you the 'green light" if you are so intent on making un-necessary changes to the pressure.
Your employer only wants complaint and AHI results under 5, so you are well covered in your job security.
Enjoy your well earned and healthy sleep.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also a large person and there are a few other considerations on pressure that you must consider. As a large person you more than likely have larger capacity lungs and make use of a much larger volume of air than a smaller person. If the pressure is not high enough you can actually starve yourself of air while breathing in. I started with a pressure of 12 and was increased to 14 (with EPR 2)only because I happened to notice that I was waking up just to try and catch my breath. These episodes were very short but acted similar to a blockage in the way they disrupted sleep but did not show up on the resmed software. After the pressure was increased my sleep has been much more restful and did not change my AHI numbers either way.

I also have a problem with some "calming" medicine, most act similar to speed, others cause other strange effects but none of them help me to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2012, 07:09 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: Not sleeping well....
I'm getting the feeling, as I read down thru your posts, that you think or hope that the CPAP will "cure" your apnea malady.

JudgeMental, I apologize if I gave that impression. I do realize that treatment will be an ongoing process.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well,

I feel like I have taken more control. I just downloaded and used ResScan for the first time! Now I need to break it to my doctor.

NSW
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 11:38 PM)Not Sleeping Well Wrote: Well,

I feel like I have taken more control. I just downloaded and used ResScan for the first time! Now I need to break it to my doctor.

NSW
Congrats now you see the doc as an active participant patient in own health and wellbeing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Update. I have scheduled an appointment next week with the doctor to discuss my sleep study. I'm not looking forward to seeing his 'friendly' nurse.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.