Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Recommend Non-Invasive Nasal Pillows
Please Recommend Non-Invasive Nasal Pillows
I love the P-10 nasal pillows.  But I'd really prefer something that doesn't enter my nostril.   (I know the P-10 is WAY better at not going in the nostril than many other pillows out there.  But I'd like to find better.)

I like Dreamwear, but it's too loud with the tubes going alongside my face and ears.

Are there any pillows out there that just sit at the nose rather than going inside it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please Recommend Non-Invasive Nasal Pillows
Hydrangea, have you tried the next larger size of nasal pillows? The P10 works great but for some reason many users seem to want to use a size too small. the larger pillows will be the best bet to avoid the pillow openings from protruding into your nares.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second what Sleeprider said. The consultant at my DME recommended a size too small, so don't feel constrained by what anyone may have told you.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Start with the largest size an work down in size, often a larger size is a lot better.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, have problems with intrusion into the nostrils. The nasal pillow mask that I have found the most comfortable is the Respironics Nuance Pro. It has gel cushions that float outside the nostril and seal really well (virtually no leak for me most nights!) and very little intrusion into the nostril. Extremely comfortable! The only issue I have is backstrap sliding up on my (extremely silky/slippery) hair!

Good luck finding a mask, I know it can really be a challenge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a P-10 pillow size larger than the Large? I have a large nose, and use the large P-10 pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 11:19 AM)booksfan Wrote: I, too, have problems with intrusion into the nostrils. The nasal pillow mask that I have found the most comfortable is the Respironics Nuance Pro. It has gel cushions that float outside the nostril and seal really well (virtually no leak for me most nights!) and very little intrusion into the nostril. Extremely comfortable! The only issue I have is backstrap sliding up on my (extremely silky/slippery) hair!

Thanks!  I saw you mention this mask elsewhere on this board, and that's what got me thinking!  It's time for me to order more supplies, and I really think I may order the Nuance Pro.  I love the idea of it sitting outside the nostril.

I've experienced a similar thing with my hair with the Dreamwear, and somewhat with the P-10.  I might be inclined to alter the headgear somehow - I'm not afraid of a sewing machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the Nuance but not the Pro version. I don't like the gel pads and I think the headgear for the non-Pro is more adjustable. Or it seems like it is. I ordered the non-Pro and got the Pro. Sigh. Don't like it.

The Nuance sits on the outside of the nostrils with just this tiny bit going in. You won't notice it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 02:48 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 11:19 AM)booksfan Wrote: I, too, have problems with intrusion into the nostrils. The nasal pillow mask that I have found the most comfortable is the Respironics Nuance Pro. It has gel cushions that float outside the nostril and seal really well (virtually no leak for me most nights!) and very little intrusion into the nostril. Extremely comfortable! The only issue I have is backstrap sliding up on my (extremely silky/slippery) hair!

Thanks!  I saw you mention this mask elsewhere on this board, and that's what got me thinking!  It's time for me to order more supplies, and I really think I may order the Nuance Pro.  I love the idea of it sitting outside the nostril.

I've experienced a similar thing with my hair with the Dreamwear, and somewhat with the P-10.  I might be inclined to alter the headgear somehow - I'm not afraid of a sewing machine.

I started with my husband's old Nuance Pro headgear and his unused small mask. The headgear was stretched out and I had to "adjust" it using a quilt binding clip and a safety pin! Rolleyes

One mask (I tried many!) I sewed on a strap from the front of my ears around the back of my neck. The back strap still ended up on top of my head, but the mask stayed on! It leaked though, which is how I knew the strap slipped.  Smile

The things we do to get some sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear you on the strap slippage. I've had great success (with the P10) by putting half of the split strap under my hair at the nape of my neck, and the other half at the top of my head; my hair keeps it all in place.

Maybe I can figure out some sort of thing like this for the Nuance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 347 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 903 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 463 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 840 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 493 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.