Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Review The Data & Give Recommendations
RE: Please Review The Data & Give Recommendations
Let me add to what Sleeprider has pointed out if I can just to see if I can help you better understand the workings of the machine or maybe just confuse the heck out of matters.
You said: “I would like to see which one is me breathing and which is the machine. At 00:16 the mask pressure changes drops dramatically. I'm wondering if that is where the machine stopped breathing for me and I took over with my normal respirations.”
I’m no expert on the inner working of the ASV machine. I am learning as I go with the help of the folks on this forum but also based on my knowledge of servo systems in general. All servo systems do have certain things in common and this is what the S in ASV means after all. I’ll take a stab or an estimate but its not much more that just that.
First, I doubt the machine transitions abruptly between taking over for you and letting you run with it. I think it more likely tracks your breathing and corrects as needed in continuous, real time fashion to keep your rate and tidal volumes to a set level that it stores and updates also continuously based on your breathing history and other things. Sleeprider has alluded to this by pointing out the adaptive nature of the machine. That nature is where it updates its stored information in real time to your breathing history. At 00:16 you began to deviate in some way from the machine’s stored concept of what your breaths should look like. You can see a pulse on your flow limit at the beginning of the correction; maybe that was what triggered the pressure drop, I don’t know. Whatever it was, it lasted a few breaths (only an ASV does that breath to breath compensation; nice indeed) and the results are that you continued breathing with reasonably healthy volumes. That is the idea. With any other machine at this time you may have gone into a CA, we’ll never know. What we do know is the machine adjusted and you kept humming along. I like it a lot and I’d call it a touchdown.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hojo: One other thing. Were you wearing you collar last night?
Also, can you tell me who makes your collar? The one that is comfortable and where i might get one? Are collars made that are specifically made for sleep apnea or are they simply the same as any cervical collar? I couldn't find much about cervical collars marketed to those with sleep apnea. i want to make sure i get the right thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2017, 07:45 PM)Fixit50 Wrote: Hojo:  One other thing.  Were you wearing you collar last night?  
Also, can you tell me who makes your collar?  The one that is comfortable and where i might get one?  Are collars made that are specifically made for sleep apnea or are they simply the same as any cervical collar? I couldn't find much about cervical collars marketed to those with sleep apnea.  i want to make sure i get the right thing.

Yes, I was wearing the collar and suspect that I will always need to in order to (easily) optimize my therapy.  The collar I have is probably 40 years old and the name on it doesn't show up on a search engine but it looks very much like this one, pretty much just a standard collar. 

Can I put this link here, I'm not selling anything.  I picked up another collar at a local medical equipment but it was too large and I haven't gotten another one (size I wanted wasn't in stock).  The main point I would make is not to get a size that they recommend after a 'neck injury', your just trying to keep the airway a bit more straight.  The size they thought that fit best (actually felt fine at the store) was too tall when laying in bed.

Commercial Link Removed, instead search Office Depot for Soft Foam Cervical Colar #197381.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the link, I’m going to find time to buy one that looks like that.  I’ve been using the Serenity Mouth guard with some tangible success.  Pressures are quite a bit lower with the mouth guard and flow rates look a lot healthier.  A chin strap works even better yet, probably because it keeps the mouth more fully closed, but I don’t care for the feel of it.  I’ll just have to see if the collar does as well as the chin strap and if its comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apologies to the Moderators for the link, I was thinking the problem was more for selling or promoting, more direct sales of specific CPAP related items; masks, machines, ect.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been doing very well on ASV but recently realized I may need 'minor' surgery.  I'd rather have it done under local but I'm sure they will want to put me under general (light) anesthesia.  With my sleep apnea history I'm paranoid about being asleep without a machine and while I know it won't take long to wake up from general anesthesia, I'm still wondering if it would be a reasonable request to have an ASV machine put on me as soon as they pull the tube.  The last time I fell asleep without the ASV was for about 2 hours (in and out of sleep thanks to a cat) I woke up feeling absolutely horrible.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Inform your anesthetist about the complex or central apnea condition, and that you use an adaptive servo ventilator. The anesthesiologist will decide the best course of action, and is fully prepared to use invasive, or non-invasive breathing to ensure you are safe. Your doctor will know the anesthesiologist, and can give him a heads-up. Standard operating procedure is for him to meet with you prior to the procedure. This is not a problem. You should work out whether to have your ASV available in the recovery room.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had my surgery yesterday and it went well.  Did not need general anesthesia and everyone was well informed about my CA events and just to slap me if it happened, but not as hard as my wife does (just kidding).

As for pain meds, uh oh, once I take a pill I turn on the ASV for a bit as it pretty much knocks me out for about 30 minutes.  I usually don't take hardly any pain pills after surgery but I promised I would keep up with them to make sure I stay active, however, after I looked at the data this morning, I don't think I will take any during the night and stop well before bed time....pulse went down to 35.  My resting pulse is 43 but I think 35 is just a tad too low.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I woke up at 2:30 am gasping for air and wondering why, I discovered the mask connection came apart (ResMed F20) from the FFM, the mask was still on.  I clipped it back on and the rest of the night was uneventful. 

I have gone back to the machine and turned on the Large Leak Alarm, however, there is no way I can hear the alarm, especially with the air still flowing out of the hose.  The air is louder than the alarm and even the air (leak) wasn't loud enough to wake me, seems like there should be a better alarm.
Post Reply Post Reply
are you talking to the doctors about a pacemaker?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,226 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,343 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 627 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,072 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.