Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please Review The Data & Give Recommendations
RE: Please Review The Data & Give Recommendations
I have no idea why the hybrid may be considered better than a FFM, if it were, I would think it would be more popular.  I like the F20 for stopping air leaks but the large is so big it pushes up too high on the bridge of my nose, almost on top of the lower part of my forehead.  The medium is a tad small but workable, the big issue I have is the silicone is different and I turn beak red.  I have a liner that I picked up from the DME but it is a pain to apply and keep the mask on just right.  Hence, I tape the liner to the mask.

The hybrid has a lower chin part that I'm concerned may push my chin up too much, making it more difficult to breath from my mouth, time will tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been reading about this mask. It claims to have a built in chin strap or chin flap. Seems to suggest it is supposed to keep the mouth closed. For me that would be ideal because my therapy is improved with a chin strap or mouth guard that keeps my mouth closed or mostly closed. I'd like to get rid of those things so if this mask keeps the mouth closed on its own it may be a good solution for me. Doesn't your collar tend to close your mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
The collar does not keep my mouth closed, if it did I would be in trouble as I go from nose to mouth breathing during the night.  The purpose of the collar is to keep my neck straight so my airway lined up properly to prevent OA events.

I tried the hybrid last night and did well until about 1:30 am and woke up to large leaks.  The chin strap does not keep my mouth shut so that is good, I need to be able to breath through my mouth.  What happens is the seal is lighter around the side of the mouth (cheek area) and if I move my mouth too much, I can feel and hear the air flapping out.  I will try making it a little tighter and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read that that hybrid comes with different sized cushions and pillows.  Have you tried playing around with the other sizes to solve the leak?  I also read that sizing adjustments are more complicated than with other masks.  Also, how is the vent hiss/noise level?  Are you still using the collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
Fixit50:  Late to reply here, just got back from a trip.  Yes, I've been trying different size 'pillows' and mouth pieces.  I had a fair amount of leaks one night that I wasn't aware of, yet the leaking woke me up but wasn't recorded on the machine, perhaps I was about to wake up anyway.

The ResMed nasal pillows I tried when I first started with therapy were very comfortable, I'm finding the pillows with this Hybrid (RespCare) to be a bit less comfortable.  My wife has noticed the noise level is a bit louder than the FFM (F20) but not enough to tell me to stop using it. 

I'm on ASV and the other night the machine recorded something I've never seen before;

EPAP Min 4.0 Med 0.00 95% 0.00

My only thought is that the leaks were too much to hold the pressure, although my IPAP Min was 4.0, IPAP Med 9.08, and IPAP 95% 14.16.  Another odd finding was my resp rate Min was -0.20, Med was normal at 12.0, and 95% 16.4  I have never seen the resp rate min go 'negative', it usually just reads a plain zero.

When I woke up I actually felt find, like nothing was wrong during the night, my AHI was 0.00 so I think the night went well, it just had a few odd things going on.  I will continue to try the hybrid mask, although last night I didn't use it as I felt restrictive with the pillows, I think I went to bed too early and wasn't tired enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hojo, it would be interesting to see some of this on graphs. I was just working with Mark Watson (JediMark) last night to resolve a bug in my Aircurve 10 vAuto where the I:E ratio was improperly calculated. It turned out to be an easy fix, but Sleepyhead is not beyond having some errors. You may want to compare in ResScan.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2018, 10:21 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hojo, it would be interesting to see some of this on graphs. I was just working with Mark Watson (JediMark) last night to resolve a bug in my Aircurve 10 vAuto where the I:E ratio was improperly calculated.  It turned out to be an easy fix, but Sleepyhead is not beyond having some errors.  You may want to compare in ResScan.

Sleeprider:  Below are the results.  Saturday are the one's with the funny data, while Thursday is to compare.  I didn't give Friday since I used a different mask (FFM) while Thursday and Saturday were with the hybrid.  I have used the hybrid 5 times now and Saturday is the only time I've had the odd data, so is it the mask, the leaks, or just a fluke??? 

As for comparing in ResScan, I'm not sure how to do that except maybe to go to the machine and click on the 'sleep report', which I think is set up to show me the running data, not from any particular night.

https://imgur.com/a/7MNyz
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like some screwy bug and your flow charts obviously show flow. Let me know if it continues and I'll talk to Mark about it. He seems willing to do small bug fixes but is not able to motivate for bigger projects.

Wow, what a nice chart to see after seeing you struggle for so long! Your success should give new members with similar problems hope.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for looking at it Sleeprider.  Yes, my results are a tremendous improvement and I can't believe how well I am sleeping, such a relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2018, 06:52 AM)Hojo Wrote: Fixit50:  Late to reply here, just got back from a trip.  Yes, I've been trying different size 'pillows' and mouth pieces.  I had a fair amount of leaks one night that I wasn't aware of, yet the leaking woke me up but wasn't recorded on the machine, perhaps I was about to wake up anyway.

The ResMed nasal pillows I tried when I first started with therapy were very comfortable, I'm finding the pillows with this Hybrid (RespCare) to be a bit less comfortable.  My wife has noticed the noise level is a bit louder than the FFM (F20) but not enough to tell me to stop using it. 

I'm on ASV and the other night the machine recorded something I've never seen before;

EPAP Min 4.0 Med 0.00 95% 0.00

My only thought is that the leaks were too much to hold the pressure, although my IPAP Min was 4.0, IPAP Med 9.08, and IPAP 95% 14.16.  Another odd finding was my resp rate Min was -0.20, Med was normal at 12.0, and 95% 16.4  I have never seen the resp rate min go 'negative', it usually just reads a plain zero.

When I woke up I actually felt find, like nothing was wrong during the night, my AHI was 0.00 so I think the night went well, it just had a few odd things going on.  I will continue to try the hybrid mask, although last night I didn't use it as I felt restrictive with the pillows, I think I went to bed too early and wasn't tired enough.
Thanks for the follow up Hojo.  I don’t care for the F20 due to its hiss so I might have a problem with the hiss from this hybrid. I’m interested in this hybrid mask mainly due to chin flange which I guess keeps the chin in position.  I’ve found that if I keep my chin in position that pressures stay quite a bit lower and my breathing rate is much better controlled and more regular.  Last night I tried a cervical collar for the first time.  It had the same beneficial effect for me that a mouthguard has but neither is as good for me as a chin strap which I find a bit uncomfortable.  Still plan to do more experimenting here.  
I’m interested in hearing how you do with the hybrid after you get it all optimized and acclimate to it.  Thanks for the info.
Also, those are very low AHI scores you’re getting with the ASV and your breathing stats also look very good!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,218 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 518 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,014 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.