Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please advise on ResMed BIPAP identities and differences
Please advise on ResMed BIPAP identities and differences
One of my S10 Autosets is nearing 10,000 hours and I want to have its replacement at hand, but want to try a used BIPAP out of pocket. I would like to know if I am headed the right way and which questions to ask of any seller about the S9 and the Aircurve vauto. 

As I recall, I have seen various references to those Resmed BIPAPs (some, I think, in "shorthand speak"), so I am not sure of the exact nameplate identities of those S9 and vauto models the AB experts would recommend. So I request those official ID's and the significant feature differences between the S9 and the Aircurve--including, additionally, any significant longevity differences among those two and the Autoset populations. In past purchases, two private sellers (other than vendor #2 which is safer, of course) had to be pumped to get run hours and clear nameplate info so I could condition acceptance or an offer on specifics.

Motivating factors: 

(1) my understanding from readings on AB about Flow Limitations and Snore persisting after attaining low, long term AHI (now my AHI is 0.5 for 12-months and 0.1 for 6-, 3- and 1-months) suggest I would benefit from BIPAP (see graphic), 

(2) I have about 18 months to go before meeting insurance and Medicare's 5-year aging requirement (?) before machine replacement, 

(3) my low AHI (and SpO2 of mostly 94-95% with less than 1-minute dips to or below 88%) may disqualify me for BIPAP (?),

(4) when AHI was high it was mainly from OSA. Now those are few and I am most likely to have from one to three HA or CA of 10-15 seconds, if any apnea. 

The graphic below has red grid lines to make synchronization of motion, breath and SpO2 metrics more obvious. It highlights in yellow some rough breathing showing my typical erratic breathing amplitudes and flow rates and bodily motions although AHI is low. It is hard to believe that such rest is all it possibly could be. I hope a vauto would improve my (now vastly improved) sleep even more. The cross hatches in the top graphic's green trace indicate motions while asleep (I was awake for a few minutes at the start and restart of the Autoset). There are about as many of the larger green verticals as there are spikes, large or small, in the green Pulse Rate spikes, about 15 of each.

The light yellow area (about 3:30 to 5:30 in top graph) highlights a concentration of  Flow Rate spikes, a lesser number of coinciding Snore spikes, and a fewer number of coinciding Pulse Rate spikes--almost all these coincide with bodily movements reflected in the uppermost red, blue and green traces (showing sleep on left side in red, lying down in blue, and bodily movement in green.

[attachment=10687]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please advise on ResMed BIPAP identities and differences
Let's clear up the name first. BiPAP is a trade name for Philips Respiroiics bilevel machines. Resmed bilevel is all referred to as VPAP, so in the S9 series, the S9 VPAP auto or VPAP S, and the newer Aircurve 10 Vauto and VPAP-S. I think you would be best served by a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, and since you have time to shop around, that's what you should stick with. With the Vauto, you will have auto-adjusting pressure as well as the ability to us S-mode if desired (fixed pressure), and you can adjust the minimum and maximum inspiration times (TiMin, TiMax) and sensitivity for trigger (IPAP) and cycle (EPAP). That should give you more than enough flexibility to customize settings.

FYI, Supplier #2 is selling the Vauto for $799 new which is an exceptional price. You should be able to find good used machines for less using Craigslist or the SearchTempest search engine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 181 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 292 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,135 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 502 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.