Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help!
Please help!
I feel like I'm doing pretty good at this so far however still have much to learn. I've been in afib for 2 weeks and have 2 weeks to go before my scheduled cardiac ablation. My cpap usage is 8.46, Ahi per hour is 2.6,Pressue 10,leaks 24L/min,Ahi2.1Total 1.8Central1.2. I switch between Quattro air and Amara view mask depending on how it effects my nose (mouth breather). Still working on mastering Sleepyhead! Does anyone have any suggestions for me that would help me improve what I'm doing so far?
Thanks!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help!
How do you physically feel? . . . This is the main thing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 10:27 AM)sgearhart Wrote: How do you physically feel? . . . This is the main thing.

I sleep well however do not know if my data is ok! What is 24L/min leaks? I struggle with shortness of breath during the day however when on cpap sleeping everything is fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Old hand at afib here.
Daytime shortness if breathe is likely due to afib. You likely are converting out of afib on the machine at night.
Cpap stopped my afib after a botched ablation didnt.
If you can get your ahi down around 1 its entirety possible afib would stop in a cople weeks without ablation.
If i could avoid ablation i would. Its not as safey claim, and i know several that had it besifes me that it didnt help.
Myself a punctured heart by a probe and 5 dayd in hospital to pump blood from around my heart was the result.
Maze surgery is a cure but they have to crack you open to perform that.
Cpap looked more inviting to me than that.'
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Judy1843,
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Judy1843, You might gain some benefit by doing something about your nasal breathing capacity. I found that made a great deal of improvement in my pap therapy and also my feeling of well being during the day.

What helped me might also work for you. I was pleased when I tried Nasacort spray and found that it opened up my sinuses within 15 minutes and made 100% nasal breathing possible for all day and all night relief. It is approved for daily use whereas most other nasal sprays can't be used for extended periods. It's a life saver and life changer for me. I have used it daily for over 6 months now with great benefits and no ill effects.

I also use SleepRight nasal aids to offset the pressure my full face mask exerts on my nose. The mask tends to reduce my nasal opening so this device prevents that while keeping the nose open even further than normal. Walgreen's sells them.

According to the medicos, nasal breathing is more efficient than mouth breathing since it introduces nitric oxide into the air stream. That makes the lungs work better they claim. reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8971255

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
A leak rate of 24 Lpm on a Resmed machine is pretty high. I would focus on getting leaks down, be sure the machine setup is correct for the mask you're using, and consider using mask liners to improve leak results.

Your pressure is 5-13 according to your profile. If you can get sleepyhead going, it would be interesting to see what your median and 90% pressures are. I have a suspicion you don't spend much time at the lower range of your settings, and might benefit from an increased minimum pressure. Can't tell without the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 12:42 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: According to the medicos, nasal breathing is more efficient than mouth breathing since it introduces nitric oxide into the air stream. That makes the lungs work better they claim. reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8971255

Dude

Nitric Oxide is a vasodilator and reduces blood pressure and cardiac afterload.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 02:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: A leak rate of 24 Lpm on a Resmed machine is pretty high. I would focus on getting leaks down, be sure the machine setup is correct for the mask you're using, and consider using mask liners to improve leak results.

Your pressure is 5-13 according to your profile. If you can get sleepyhead going, it would be interesting to see what your median and 90% pressures are. I have a suspicion you don't spend much time at the lower range of your settings, and might benefit from an increased minimum pressure. Can't tell without the data.

I will try to get Sleepyhead going ( not so easy for me) and started documenting my info each morning from my machine clinical setting only. I used my Quattro Air with the 24L leak last night and will try the Amara view tonight with the nasal strips to see if that improves my leak. I'm hoping at some point down the road I can try nasal pillows or something smaller however I have to much going on now to change mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 11:58 AM)Judy1843 Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 10:27 AM)sgearhart Wrote: How do you physically feel? . . . This is the main thing.

I sleep well however do not know if my data is ok! What is 24L/min leaks? I struggle with shortness of breath during the day however when on cpap sleeping everything is fine.
I'm not sure about shortness of breath, talk to your doctor about that

As far as leak 24 L/m goes ... not too bad and don't worry about it, at this stage, will get better and the main thing is that ... you're sleeping well

24 L/m means ... leak was at or below 24 L/m for 95% of the night, not all night long as some might think

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.