Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help!
RE: Please help!
(08-28-2015, 10:13 AM)Judy1843 Wrote: My cpap usage is 8.46, Ahi per hour is 2.6,Pressue 10,leaks 24L/min,Ahi2.1Total 1.8Central1.2.

Hi Judy1843,

Your usage 8.46 hrs is very good.

Your AHI 2.6 per hour is good. Anything less than 5.0 is usually considered acceptable.

Your Pressure 10: not sure if 10 is your median pressure (at or below 10 at least 50% of the time) or your 95 percentile pressure (at or below 10 at least 95% of the time). The Clinical Guide (setup manual) for your machine is available by email request and I think would explain whether the Pressure statistic displayed on your machine refers to the median pressure measured or the 95% pressure measured.

In my opinion, it is usually best to have the Min Pressure set not lower than 1 or 2 below the measured median pressure, to better avoid obstructive events. So I suggest you consider raising your Min Pressure. Also, a higher Min Pressure often makes it easier to inhale, making breathing more comfortable. The emphasis here is to find a comfortable Min Pressure which is only 1 or 2 or 3 lower than your median pressure.

Your (unintended) Leak of 24 Liter/minute or less, during at least 95% of the time, is not bad. ResMed machines do not count intended Leak, which is leakage through the vent holes built into the mask. ResMed recommends (unintended) Leak be not higher than 24L/m but their machines usually handle unintended Leak up to 30L/m quite well, especially if the Leak is fairly steady rather than all the time varying quickly.

Your AHI 2.1 per hour is very good. Perhaps this is for only the most recent night, and earlier 2.6 statistic was an average over many nights?

I think "Total 1.8" would mean the total of all apneas was 1.8 per hour. This is good.

I think "Central 1.2" would mean 1.2 central apneas per hour. This is small, nothing at all to worry about. The number of obstructive apneas would have been 1.8 - 1.2 = 0.6.

A more expensive type of CPAP machine which can treat both obstructive apneas/hypopneas and central apneas/hypopneas is not considered unless the number of central apneas per hour is at least 5.0.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2015, 01:57 PM)vsheline Wrote: Your AHI 2.1 per hour is very good. Perhaps this is for only the most recent night, and earlier 2.6 statistic was an average over many nights?

I think "Total 1.8" would mean the total of all apneas was 1.8 per hour. This is good.

I think "Central 1.2" would mean 1.2 central apneas per hour. This is small, nothing at all to worry about. The number of obstructive apneas would have been 1.8 - 1.2 = 0.6.
I assume these numbers taken from the machine sleep report
If this is the case .... usage and AHI 2.6 shown on the top section of the sleep report which are for last night session or most recent ... together with happy faces for 'mask seal and humidifier'

To match bottom section numbers of the sleep report with the top section, you'll need to set the period to '1 Day', otherwise its average for the period selected ... options: 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 years

AHI = AI + HI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown + hypopnea)
Total AI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown)

AHI - AI = Hypopnea Index = number of hypopnea per hour

I'll have to hurry up posting, my computer playing up

Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2015, 01:57 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 10:13 AM)Judy1843 Wrote: My cpap usage is 8.46, Ahi per hour is 2.6,Pressue 10,leaks 24L/min,Ahi2.1Total 1.8Central1.2.

Hi Judy1843,

Your usage 8.46 hrs is very good.

Your AHI 2.6 per hour is good. Anything less than 5.0 is usually considered acceptable.

Your Pressure 10: not sure if 10 is your median pressure (at or below 10 at least 50% of the time) or your 95 percentile pressure (at or below 10 at least 95% of the time). The Clinical Guide (setup manual) for your machine is available by email request and I think would explain whether the Pressure statistic displayed on your machine refers to the median pressure measured or the 95% pressure measured.

In my opinion, it is usually best to have the Min Pressure set not lower than 1 or 2 below the measured median pressure, to better avoid obstructive events. So I suggest you consider raising your Min Pressure. Also, a higher Min Pressure often makes it easier to inhale, making breathing more comfortable. The emphasis here is to find a comfortable Min Pressure which is only 1 or 2 or 3 lower than your median pressure.

Your (unintended) Leak of 24 Liter/minute or less, during at least 95% of the time, is not bad. ResMed machines do not count intended Leak, which is leakage through the vent holes built into the mask. ResMed recommends (unintended) Leak be not higher than 24L/m but their machines usually handle unintended Leak up to 30L/m quite well, especially if the Leak is fairly steady rather than all the time varying quickly.

Your AHI 2.1 per hour is very good. Perhaps this is for only the most recent night, and earlier 2.6 statistic was an average over many nights?

A more expensive type of CPAP machine which can treat both obstructive apneas/hypopneas and central apneas/hypopneas is not considered unless the number of central apneas per hour is at least 5.0.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thank you so much Vaughn. I think I will start by raising my minimum pressure to 6. I did notice that my AHI number wearing the Amata View mask was higher (3.5) and I did not sleep well at all that night. I seem to have a Problem with getting the nasal portion on the Amara view situated on my face properly. When I switched the next night to the Quattro air my AHI went downto 1.5. I did try the Padaxheek liner for the 1st time with the Quatteo Air mask however it felt like I was sufficating so changed it out for the RemZzz liner and I did feel better! My AHI last night was 1.5!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2015, 09:15 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 01:57 PM)vsheline Wrote: Your AHI 2.1 per hour is very good. Perhaps this is for only the most recent night, and earlier 2.6 statistic was an average over many nights?

I assume these numbers taken from the machine sleep report
If this is the case .... usage and AHI 2.6 shown on the top section of the sleep report which are for last night session or most recent ... together with happy faces for 'mask seal and humidifier'

To match bottom section numbers of the sleep report with the top section, you'll need to set the period to '1 Day', otherwise its average for the period selected ... options: 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 years

AHI = AI + HI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown + hypopnea)
Total AI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown)

AHI - AI = Hypopnea Index = number of hypopnea per hour

Thanks zonk!

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone! I'm starting to understand more everyday! I have afib and this is very important to me! O truly appreciate all your time and help!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.