Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help! 4+ years fragmented sleep and insomnia – Extremely Desperate
RE: Please help! 4+ years fragmented sleep and insomnia – Extremely Desperate
(05-26-2018, 03:51 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: Yeah, of course I can't be 100% certain that I was asleep and I do want to get a sleep study done that's sensitive enough to figure out what's going on. But it's funny, because these patterns look like the ones at 28:00 to 29:00 which he flags as hypopneas and RERAs.

If indeed these are hypopneas and RERAs they may be handled by letting the machine do its job... your 95% pressure is 12, much higher than minimum pressure and maximum pressure is 13 cmH2o, right?
Could you bump the minimal pressure to 8 and the maximum pressure to 16 and try with and without EPR ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2018, 11:15 PM)yrnkrn Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 03:51 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: Yeah, of course I can't be 100% certain that I was asleep and I do want to get a sleep study done that's sensitive enough to figure out what's going on. But it's funny, because these patterns look like the ones at 28:00 to 29:00 which he flags as hypopneas and RERAs.

If indeed these are hypopneas and RERAs they may be handled by letting the machine do its job... your 95% pressure is 12, much higher than minimum pressure and maximum pressure is 13 cmH2o, right?
Could you bump the minimal pressure to 8 and the maximum pressure to 16 and try with and without EPR ?

Yep, my 95% is between 11-12 most days w/ max at 13. I'll definitely give that a go. I'm just really apprehensive about aerophagia. I just hope my bowels don't burst. I'll see how it goes, anyway. Also, a cervical collar may help with aerophagia, right? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2018, 11:46 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: Yep, my 95% is between 11-12 most days w/ max at 13. I'll definitely give that a go. I'm just really apprehensive about aerophagia. I just hope my bowels don't burst. I'll see how it goes, anyway. Also, a cervical collar may help with aerophagia, right? Thanks.

Think of this as a scientific research. Changing many variables - machine, pressure, habits, collar results in confusion and frustration.
Take this slowly and change one thing at a time. Keep everything the same for at least several nights.
I would set min pressure to 8 and max pressure to 16 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2018, 10:08 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: I have a chance to test run the AirSense 10 Autoset For Her next week for two weeks. Worth a shot? Any pointers for using that machine?

Absolutely worth a shot, but it's not a BiPAP, so I'm curious why you would be given one — perhaps it's a friend's, not part of a sleep test?

One suggestion: assuming it's a test lab's machine, before using it the first time, verify that there are no data on the SD card (and if no SD card is present, put one in!)

Another suggestion: if it's not a test machine, as much as possible, copy the settings from your AirCurve.  Certainly you won't be comparing apples to apples, so to speak; nevertheless you want to initiate your experiment with as few variables as possible.  HTMS.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2018, 02:42 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 10:08 PM)sleeplover69 Wrote: I have a chance to test run the AirSense 10 Autoset For Her next week for two weeks. Worth a shot? Any pointers for using that machine?

Absolutely worth a shot, but it's not a BiPAP, so I'm curious why you would be given one — perhaps it's a friend's, not part of a sleep test?

One suggestion: assuming it's a test lab's machine, before using it the first time, verify that there are no data on the SD card (and if no SD card is present, put one in!)

Another suggestion: if it's not a test machine, as much as possible, copy the settings from your AirCurve.  Certainly you won't be comparing apples to apples, so to speak; nevertheless you want to initiate your experiment with as few variables as possible.  HTMS.

Thanks for the tips. My supplier is offering me a trial run for the AirSense 10 For Her, which from what I've gathered from forums, is Resmed's best APAP for UARS because of the additional algorithm. Do you think I should rather opt to try a bilevel first? I'll try to see if that's possible before asking for the For Her.

Also I have only a S9 Autoset, not an AirCurve.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, sleeplover69, I somehow got the idea that yours was a BPAP.  No, the AirSense 10 would be the logical upgrade for you since your medical practitioner(s) haven't recommended/suggested you might need bi-level.

I'm sure you will enjoy it, so here's hoping you can get favorable terms!

Oh!  I'll bet you're going to want a heated hose.  Ah'm in Gawjuh, and even in the winnertahm ah likes mah air tuh be kewel sew Ah doan lak dem, but Ah bet ya'll Canoodians wood hafta have dem er d air woodn flow down d toob.   Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote Sleeplover69
.......Also, a cervical collar may help with aerophagia, right? Thanks.. ...

Yes definitely a cervical collar will help with aerophagia. It helps to keep your mouth shut and prevent obstruction clusters. Then, in association with pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth, it persuades the PAP to flow into your lung gullet/windpipe and not your oesophagus and onto your stomach.

I do not believe employing the use of a cervical collar is too much a variation. Changing pressures often and before at least 3/4 days/a week would be too much of a variation but not using a neck collar. Now I am so used to sleeping with it I find that I will instinctively reach out for it if I turn off the light before putting it on. Like most things, we get used to it and I am comforted by the fact that obstructions are much reduced by its use and thus persevere.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it's been a couple of days since I've started my trial on the AirSense 10 For Her and I don't think I'm seeing any improvements. Before that, I tried 2 days with 8-16 cmH2O pressure on the S9 and same thing, maybe a little worse. I actually do awaken often before the 4 hour mark in my sleep, it's just that any awakening near 4 hours tends to be the most prolonged. I wonder why that is. I think on average I wake up around 4 to 5 times a night. I still have the same amount of awakenings and overwhelming fatigue. Along with incredible cognitive decline and almost no energy or motivation to do anything. I usually don't have any energy to even go to the gym most days anymore but when I do, I can't do much besides light walking and short bursts of mild to moderate elliptical. Anything more vigorous and I would start to get real dizzy and weird sensations in the chest.

A few months back, I actually fell to the floor with numbness in both arms and ended up calling an ambulance once after a semi-moderate gym session. They took my blood and did a chest x-ray and said it was probably a panic attack. I'm pretty sure my extremely poor sleep is really taking a serious toll on my heart.

I forgot to set the For Her to min 8 pressure for a couple of nights. At 7 min pressure without EPR set to at least 1, I start to get aerophagia. I don't know if the For Her is even properly flagging RERAs a lot what look like hypopneas. I'm seeing a lot of flattish flow rate breathing patterns like the ones I posted earlier in the thread that aren't being picked up at all and also clusters of ratty looking high resp rate and low tidal volume breathes that last for a couple of minutes. I don't know if that's normal or not. My quality of life is so low, sometimes I just feel like giving up.

[Image: XArMfZT.png]

S9 at 8-16 pressure

[Image: 6FP7Ys4.png]

Same night, just took this screenshot before first therapy break. Example of the ratty looking breathing clusters as mentioned above.

[Image: EbWz6yc.png]

Still get lots of these plateaus.

[Image: wZ2LkRI.png]

Experimented with 10-16 pressure using the P10. Awoke with burping after 3 hours then slept for another hour. Then went back to sleep with my usual setup at 7-16.

[Image: zNy6mSx.png]

Some nice curves with 10-16 pressure w/ the P10. Or is it?

[Image: koxx2zu.png]

10-16 pressure w/ the P10 again, but then I get these ratty clusters again

[Image: 4q5kXLO.png]

Another night with many awakenings as usual.

[Image: V1jbbWw.png]

Rattiness again.

[Image: zlIoXoL.png]

Continues on for a few minutes

[Image: jYmdocu.png]

Last night. Multiple awakenings, but didn't bother to turn the machine off and on. I thought maybe it'd help with my energy levels, but nope.

[Image: F1AdS3E.png]

This series last for over 5 minutes. Had a couple of these clusters.

[Image: 85QHqKT.png]

Also I'm getting a lot of these elongated and squiggly flat lines after the expiratory breathes followed by inspiratory breathes that are rather shallow? Normal?

I'm not seeing a decrease in flow limitations with 8 min pressure + EPR 1? I already get a lot of gas at this setting. I got these 3 inch bed risers and a soft cervical collar coming in the mail. I'm going to see if those combined would make any difference and if that would allow me to use higher pressures with less aerophagia. So far though the For Her doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all. I don't feel better and I awaken all the same. I got a week left with the For Her. Any suggestions? See if I can get to try bilevel next? This existence is just pure pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR=3 is the same as Bi-Level with PS=3. Have you tried it ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't tried EPR 3. Would I bump my pressures by 2 for both min and max with EPR 3?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 216 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fragmented sleep - AirSense 11 vs. 10 skydoc01 3 210 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 298 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.