Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help - Am I getting the wrong machine?
Question 
Please help - Am I getting the wrong machine?
Hello. I am a new member who is finally going to be able to stop using my original (10 year old) "brick" Fisher Paykel Cpap machine that stores no data. In 2 days I will pick up a new Auto-pap machine and I want to make sure I am getting a good one.

I have read Archangle's wiki on recommended machines but I am confused.

I thought my doctor was writing an order for the recommended "Philips Respironics PRS1 Auto (PRS1 = Philips Respironics System One)" machine. I have seen the machine I am getting. (They are holding onto it for a couple of days so that they can add an adapter for a heated hose.) All it says is "Remstar Auto System One". Is this the right machine? Are Philips and Remstar one and the same? If so, it seems like there are so many different models that are similar in name. How can I figure out exactly which model I am getting? If they are not the same, can you tell me if this one is a good machine? I may have to keep this next machine for 10 years so I really want to get this right the first time.

I would REALLY appreciate any help as I don't have a lot of time to figure this out and a google search has not proven very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help - Am I getting the wrong machine?
Hi sleepy_one and welcome to the forum
All Phillips Respironics (PR) machines have REMstar in the name, you want PR System One Auto model 560 (60 series machine with the heated hose option). Turn the machine upside down with the tank removed and look at the label for model number ... if say 560 than you got the right machine

You can ask for the clinical manual via Email (section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

PRS1 setup instruction and videos http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions

Link to SleepyHead download http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Post Reply Post Reply
As long as it does not have the word "Plus" in the name if Phillips-Respironics (Remstar) or the word "Escape" in the name if ResMed, you're good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepy_one,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks

Thank you all so much! I feel so much better knowing that I will be able to determine whether they are giving me the right machine.

I am really excited to find this forum and to see there is software that I will be able to use to try to figure out my own sleep issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2013, 08:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: As long as it does not have the word "Plus" in the name if Phillips-Respironics (Remstar) or the word "Escape" in the name if ResMed, you're good.

Not correct.

Philips Respironics makes 3 different brick CPAP models. Only one says "plus."

(Brick means it doesn't collect much if any data, so it's very limited in how you and your doctor can monitor your therapy.)

There is a PRS1 model 150/160 that is a brick. It's simply labeled "REMstar" and doesn't say "plus" anywhere on the top.
There is a PRS1 SE model that is also a brick. It's labeled "REMstar SE". No Plus. It's a model 220.
The PRS1 Plus model 250/260 is also a brick. It says "REMstar Plus with CFlex."

Avoid all of the above.

--------

Sleepy one, any PRS1 "Auto" machine is a good, full data machine. Look for "Philips Respironics" and the word "Auto". It will probably say "REMstar Auto with A-Flex".

There may be some slight variation in the wording.

Be sure it says "Philips Respironics". There are some older model "Respironics" machines from before they were bought out by Philips. Don't let the DME sell you one of these obsolete machines.

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

Both the 2009 and 2011 versions are good. The biggest difference is that the 60 series has an option to use a heated hose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah! They changed it on me whilst I was asleep. Thanks for telling me!

Is there a 1xx or 2xx that is "good"? And are all the 3xx and higher good?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much, archangle! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
All models numbers below 450 (50 series machines) and 460 (60 series machines) are not data capable machines meaning ... bricks
60 series machines are the latest with heated hose option

Here is System One comparison guide
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the latest software for the PRS1 REMstar 60 series Auto is v3.04; if you want the most up to date version.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,062 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 115 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 565 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,531 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 334 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 494 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 626 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.