Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help. Data interpretation. Feel like crap.
RE: Please help. Data interpretation. Feel like crap.
FWIW, compare our machine settings, and my minute vent and tidal volume data.

[Image: Pg8ZhuPl.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 07:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: FWIW, compare our machine settings, and my minute vent and tidal volume data.

[Image: Pg8ZhuPl.png]

I changed the originally prescribed settings (from most excellent PCP - not a sleep doc) that also gave me my best nights sleep because I started seeing a couple of CA's. Perhaps I over reacted. I have returned the machine to original specs which are not far from what you suggest. I will try to leave it the h#$! alone and maybe I would be wise to look at the data less often. Thinking-about
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I dunno if it will help, but what I saw in your data was a respiration volume that seems a bit suppressed. As you can see in my data, the primary event is CA, but it is inconsequential being of short duration and not something to worry about. Not every night is that good, but if you're not feeling refreshed in the morning, it might be because you're in perpetual hypopnea with a suppressed volume.

Do you have the minute vent rate and tidal volume from before you changed the settings?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 06:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Let me take a wild guess...your tidal volume is kinda low. I don't know how big a guy your are, but mine averages in the upper 500s to mid 600 range. The last closeup graph you showed indicates you might not be fully exhaling at your current settings, and this might be affecting your volume per breath. An increase in minimum PS can promote improved respiratory exchange.

Here is a thought to try...your choice. Keep all settings the same, but increase minimum PS to 4.0 and maximum to 7.0. Drink two beers with a piece of pizza, and call me in the morning. Smile

Seriously, this should continue to control the OA that is looking pretty good. If it doesn't aggravate CA, then the result should be a bit better ventilation rate.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have often wondered about tidal volume as mine is 99% of the time between 420 and 440. Is that too low?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 04:54 PM)me50 Wrote: I have often wondered about tidal volume as mine is 99% of the time between 420 and 440. Is that too low?

That is completely normal. Mine is probably in the 98th percentile because as a young un, I used to run at high altitude in the mountains, and I just have exceptional volume. The O.P. however was in the upper 200s which is fine for most small women.

You can search for tidal volume and minute vent. Normal varies with size and normal weight. Significant decreases occur with pulmonary disease, COPD and respiratory illnesses. Bilevel therapy can improve the ventilation rate of patients with poor respiratory volume, and even normal patients tend to have a higher volume on biPAP than CPAP. The higher the pressure support, the more that effect is noticed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 05:15 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(05-16-2015, 04:54 PM)me50 Wrote: I have often wondered about tidal volume as mine is 99% of the time between 420 and 440. Is that too low?

That is completely normal. Mine is probably in the 98th percentile because as a young un, I used to run at high altitude in the mountains, and I just have exceptional volume. The O.P. however was in the upper 200s which is fine for most small women.

You can search for tidal volume and minute vent. Normal varies with size and normal weight. Significant decreases occur with pulmonary disease, COPD and respiratory illnesses. Bilevel therapy can improve the ventilation rate of patients with poor respiratory volume, and even normal patients tend to have a higher volume on biPAP than CPAP. The higher the pressure support, the more that effect is noticed.

As you may have noticed, I am on VPAP Auto. I have been concerned for a while now that my VT was too low but could not get answers from my doc or the RT.
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your ideal weight in kilograms, multiplied by 7 would be your ideal tidal volume. So, for me 180/2.2= 81.8 Kg (I wish) x 7 mL/Kg = 572 mL average tidal volume. Small people in good health will have less, larger persons more. My average Tidal volume is generally in the mid 500s to mid 600s.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Just moved a recording pulseoximeter up the buy list.
I can see I must give myself permission to spend a day reading/learning about only data interpretation and getting the most from SH.
This board is like trying to drink from a firehose....
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 05:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your ideal weight in kilograms, multiplied by 7 would be your ideal tidal volume. So, for me 180/2.2= 81.8 Kg (I wish) x 7 mL/Kg = 572 mL average tidal volume. Small people in good health will have less, larger persons more. My average Tidal volume is generally in the mid 500s to mid 600s.

Our "ideal weight" is based on height and whether we are male or female.

Because the Tidal Volume formula is based on ideal weight (not actual weight) it actually depends on our actual height and sex, not our weight.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 180 10 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.