Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help! How can I reduce these LONG CA's?
RE: Please help! How can I reduce these LONG CA's?
Not sure I understand, I reduced EPR in an effort to reduce the centrals. Now to increase it? I'll try anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I get it, it seems counter-intuitive.  But your conventional approach to EPR adjustment (to control CAs) doesn't seem to have netted you any benefit.  My thinking was, just to cover any missed bases, why not try a single or two nights going the other direction.  You can always sit up during the night and change the settings back if you find that it's a disaster.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2021, 06:53 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Yeah, I get it, it seems counter-intuitive.  But your conventional approach to EPR adjustment (to control CAs) doesn't seem to have netted you any benefit.  My thinking was, just to cover any missed bases, why not try a single or two nights going the other direction.  You can always sit up during the night and change the settings back if you find that it's a disaster.

Well, the night with EPR=2 wasn't a disaster, in fact I seem a bit less tired this morning. Thanks. I'll try it again tonight. AHI still 8 but  I'm less tired so I'll try to ignore it.  There seem to be so many things that determine my sleep quality: the amount of physical activity I do that day, how early I stop eating in the evening, how much I eat... So it's hard to know what to blame when I have a bad night.
Anyway, thanks again to all for your advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Aaah...that's all news to me, and we're now getting somewhere.  I'm glad you mentioned all that.

My AHI has been quite steady over the three years I have been on PAP therapy.  However, I gained about 10 kg between the time I began fulltime treatment with a fixed pressure and about the next 10-12 months.  I don't really know why, or what changed.  My diet didn't, and nor did my calorific expenditure due to exercise daily.

I have since learned a great deal about eating and both weight gain and insulin resistance...or what they call metabolic syndrome.   Eating anything except lettuce, celery, and maybe cucumber after about 2000 hrs is a no-no.  You have fed throughout the day, and now, while sedentary, you begin to snack.  You're not hungry, you're bored or it's just a habit.  If you get substantial calories, and a lot of it induces a spike in insulin due to rising blood glucose, you'll store almost all of those excess calories.  If you gain weight, or if your stomach is busy digesting, and you go to bed, you stand a great chance of having 'silent GERD' with all the attendant problems.

I have been a distance runner and cyclist all my adult life.  When I don't exercise for a couple of days, my sleep suffers.  But if a workout is super intense, that can also affect sleep.

I think, personally, that an overactive brain is Culprit #1.  I am on the computer until I begin to yawn incessantly, which I take for a signal to get the aitch to bed.  It's not a good thing to do.  Better to read about a favourite hobby, or do some painting, or tend to some house plants....something to wind down.  Putting off problem-solving and dealing with unpleasant business will also rob you of sleep.  Been there....

We should keep talking, respecting your privacy of course, but with a view to maybe developing some strategies to help you to fall asleep and to feel secure in that state.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Thanks Mesenteria, it's actually encouraging that other people's apnea is affected by different causes. If they have managed to conquer, maybe I can too....

So last night I took half a sleeping pill (after a day of intense - for me - physical activity), slept through till 0445 ( hasn't happened for a while), went back to sleep till 0625. AHI was 4.4. Hardly any CAs. This morning I still feel a bit drowsy but don't know whether it's because of the sleeping pill or because I know from experience that it takes more than one night of good sleep to actually feel not tired. But here's the catch: I'm not going to take another sleeping pill tonight because I don't want to get addicted to them again. (My GP suggested I take half a pill every other night to avoid getting hooked.) Instead I'll take some melatonin and SleepAid and hope for the best.
What you say about strategies for good sleep makes sense. I wonder - if the sleeping pill got rid of the CAs, doesn't that mean that ASV is not the solution for me, and I should be pursuing other strategies (not pills)?
I'm attaching my OSCAR chart in case it gives anyone ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 329 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 333 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 897 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 558 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.