Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help! I don't have any insurance to get a sleep study done, what can I do?
RE: Please help! I don't have any insurance to get a sleep study done, what can I do?
If it helps any you can get an at home test for about $250 from multiple on-line vendors. Look in the vendors list at top of home page for some that do offer home testing. I have excellent health insurance but it seems sleep apnea treatment can be a real snake pit and I may just pass an go it alone out of pocket. The home tests seem to be using a Resmed home test machine and some more expensive home study packages send you and autoCPAP as part of the home study. I cannot offer more as I am yet to begin therapy. I will say you can find private sale used machines for a whole lot less money than flunking out or losing a job will likely cost let alone a car wreck or worse. If you are curious take a look at craigslist.

I wish you luck! I'm in my sixties and this malady I now know has plagued me most of my life and I sure as hech hope you get the help you need.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help! I don't have any insurance to get a sleep study done, what can I do?
(04-21-2015, 08:43 PM)stacieb Wrote: [quote='No insurance =(' pid='7626' dateline='1335064885']
I am really scared because I don't have insurance but I am constantly wake up exhaused, keep waking up throughout the night with my heart racing, and a swollen uvula. I've had someone video tape me while I'm sleeping and I have moments of 10 - 12 seconds or more without breathing until I finally wake up to breath.

I too have no insurance. i have been tired during the day for a long while now. but lately it feels I can't even keep my eyes open. I would like to know where to get help

Stacieb, you managed to find a three year old thread, but the answers have not changed much. You can try to self-treat by buying a machine on Craigslist, but the best success would be if you'd have a hearth to heart talk with your regular doctor. A home study could be done, or your could just ask for a prescription for an Auto CPAP that will automatically find your pressure. The cost of a new machine will range from 400 to 800 depending on where you look. We can help.

Where did I ever get the idea that it was illegal for anyone not to have any insurance today? You might want to look at your state's affordable care act insurance registries.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2015, 09:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 08:43 PM)stacieb Wrote: [quote='No insurance =(' pid='7626' dateline='1335064885']
I am really scared because I don't have insurance but I am constantly wake up exhaused, keep waking up throughout the night with my heart racing, and a swollen uvula. I've had someone video tape me while I'm sleeping and I have moments of 10 - 12 seconds or more without breathing until I finally wake up to breath.

I too have no insurance. i have been tired during the day for a long while now. but lately it feels I can't even keep my eyes open. I would like to know where to get help

Stacieb, you managed to find a three year old thread, but the answers have not changed much. You can try to self-treat by buying a machine on Craigslist, but the best success would be if you'd have a hearth to heart talk with your regular doctor. A home study could be done, or your could just ask for a prescription for an Auto CPAP that will automatically find your pressure. The cost of a new machine will range from 400 to 800 depending on where you look. We can help.

Where did I ever get the idea that it was illegal for anyone not to have any insurance today? You might want to look at your state's affordable care act insurance registries.

I can not afford the insurance. I was exempt from the fine for 2014.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacie

As was posted earlier. Get a home study done. There are multiple vendors online. One that works with truck drivers with no insurance is Phoenix Sleep. They will do monthly payments for the sleep study if needed.

Check the ASAA American Sleep Apnea Association cpap assistance program. For $100 To cover shipping mask hose
Etc they will provide you with a auto titration cpap.
(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what the cost of an inpatient sleep study costs but I have heard other members say that the at home sleep study is less than $200. Maybe your parents can loan you the $200 or pay for an at home sleep study
Post Reply Post Reply
Or see your doctor for a check up. Lots of things can cause fatigue as well as apnea. Low iron, thyroid, infections for example. We can support you here, but diagnosing you is not something anyone on this board can do. Print off a copy of the Epworth sleepiness test and take that in to your Dr at your next appt. Even if you do not have insurance there are ways to get the help you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what the absolute cheapest way is, but I got an in-home test for $250. My doc sent me home with a kit from Snap Diagnostics. I had to call Snap to "register" after I got it home and they wanted a credit card number. They said regardless of what the insurance paid or didn't pay, the max I would get billed from them would be $250. Sure enough, it went through my insurance, I hadn't met my deductible, and the cost was around $800 or so if I remember right. A few weeks later a charge showed up on my credit card for $250 and that has been the end of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
But if you don't have insurance, the sleep test is just the first of your expenses. The machine will be next...
Post Reply Post Reply
1. Medicaid for the state you reside.
2. The Affordable Care Act
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2015, 01:37 PM)Mike1953 Wrote: 1. Medicaid for the state you reside.
2. The Affordable Care Act

Well, his moniker seems to suggest that he lives in Lebanon, and it that's the country rather than a city in the USA, your suggestions would presumably not be applicable.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,529 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.